• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brake pads

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
need some new brake pads. have heard that the shimano B 55 C2 (dura ace) compounds faded through heat and were not that good in the wet- Is the C3 much better?
what about techstop 23HP blue? some say they are REALLY good (comparible with swissstop salmon) and cheep too!
what about cork? the biggest difference is in the pad surely! or do other factors play a part?
Your thoughts, thanks!

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Look i need a reply as I am getting paranoid after so many falls and scrapes
what pad for Roadbrakes is real good in the wet but doesn't wear down too fast. surely someone here has an answer for me.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
It all depends what rims you use for alloy you can use stock standard for carbon you need cork and Zips Reynolds that have a ceramic you need special pads .
Swiss Stop are best and approved by Zipp and others but they cost around $90 a set unless you can get them from Hong Kong where they sell at $50.
Kool stop also make some fancy pads try Google both them for more info

all about keeping the rim cool

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
koolstop salmon

dura ace pads, for me, seem to inbed metal/flints/bits in them quite quickly and have ground the crap out of my rims

don't pick up flints, don't grind rims
soft/effective
dura/campy compatible - both options
power in wet conditions
nice all around pad
ksshimsalmon.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Since you don't list what rim's you are using I'll guess aluminum (most common).

Either KoolStop or SwissStop brands are very good. The dual compound KoolStop were super squeaky on my rims (Aluminum) so took those off after the winter and swapped out to SwissStop Dark Green, supposedly are for longer wear general use and are pretty thick (won't wear out as long, just something different to try instead of the regular pads I've used before, KoolStop Salmon as listed above). So far so good and no squeaks and I stop when I squeeze the brake levers.