• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

brand names creating links

ebandit said:
how come typing n!ke and ad!das in athletics thread created links

to said websites?

Mark L

and it's done it here..........is this corporate policy or sites been hacked?

edited words to stop
It's actually a service called skimworks that the BikeRadar site uses, but since we're somehow tied to that site we're stuck with it too. It can't be shut off on this site without it being shut off on both, so they keep it on.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
I guess that if we notice that our posts have picked up such a link, we could always do readers the service of editing the post to tell them that the link is a commercial intrusion, not something we are recommending or deliberately directing them to.
That would be doing a great service to our readers, as I can't imagine that there's a single forum member that wants to read them.

I despise the fact that they're stuffed down our throats at the behest of bikeradar. But, there's nothing I can do about it except ask everyone to do their best to not participate in creating the links.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Armchair cyclist said:
I guess that if we notice that our posts have picked up such a link, we could always do readers the service of editing the post to tell them that the link is a commercial intrusion, not something we are recommending or deliberately directing them to.
That would be doing a great service to our readers, as I can't imagine that there's a single forum member that wants to read them.

I despise the fact that they're stuffed down our throats at the behest of bikeradar. But, there's nothing I can do about it except ask everyone to do their best to not participate in creating the links.

I expected to be reprimanded by an admin for proposing an undermining of revenue.

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Irondan said:
Armchair cyclist said:

I expected to be reprimanded by an admin for proposing an undermining of revenue.
Nope.

The Cyclingnews website does not collect any revenue from the "Skimlinks" script that's running in the forum. Just the Bikeradar site stands to gain any revenue generated from the clicks.