• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brave New World

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if this qualifies as gene doping, but it will sure make things interesting if cyclists (and other sports) get thier hands on it.

Linky

And also this one on a child that was born with condition that limits his ability to produce Mystatin. Another linky

In a nutshell the article refers to a study being carried out on monkeys. The study involves supressing the bodies natural production of Myostatin. According to the article Mystatin regulates muscle growth in mammals. Thus ceasing production of Myostatin will result in additional muscle growth.
The monkeys in the study averaged a 15% quadricep circumference increase (using electric stimulation). God only knows how they'd improve if they could do proper resistence training.

The good news is that you need to take a drug to supress your Myostatin, so hopefully a test could be developed for that.

The research is aimed at improving the quality of life for Muscular Dystrophy suffers and an aging population. The implications for athletes isn't hard to see.

True, this could have massive implications for many sports.

Hopefully Myostatin blocking is something that will not be too useful in cycling, because apart from riding on the track or sprinters in classics there is the possibility that there wouls be too much muscle being carried to either climb effectively or more to the point, climb effectively without suspicion.

I guess we will know in a few years if there are guys built like Boonen and Hushovd climbing with the best...

A

Anonymous

sounds more likely to be used in explosive type sports where steriods are often used.

track (velo) sprints, track (run) sprints, weight lifting.

Doesn't really sound like have 15% bigger quads (and therefore a higher body weight) is really gonna help you get up the mountains, is it?

Mountain Goat said:
Doesn't really sound like have 15% bigger quads (and therefore a higher body weight) is really gonna help you get up the mountains, is it?

Certainly. But if the gained muscle mass can be mostly restricted to the quads and calves who knows what could be possible. I'm certain that there's an Italian or Spanish doctor looking into this somewhere already.

But as you said, its still far more likely to be (ab)used in more explosive sports and probably bodybuilding.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Its always a matter of how the drug is administered during training not just what the drug will do. If you do specialized training (periodization) and take something that gives you big muscles your heart and lungs will adapt...or maybe explode.
I suppose the ultimate would be a Mystatin/CERA cocktail...with some hot sauce.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Stephen D Aalderink said:
Its always a matter of how the drug is administered during training not just what the drug will do. If you do specialized training (periodization) and take something that gives you big muscles your heart and lungs will adapt...or maybe explode.
I suppose the ultimate would be a Mystatin/CERA cocktail...with some hot sauce.

No doubt there will also be a gonad replacement system to go with it as that seems to be a common shrinkage area with overstimulation of muscle growth..or should I say pre-occupation?