• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bravo contador menchov shleck!!!!

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Contador is shattered. He almost started to cry on the podium. He's sweated blood today.

Andy has proven himself as nº1 contender for next year's tour.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes that was great. And no one I hate the guts of, for a change. It's nearly like when I enjoyed the tdf again this year!!

Really well done, and hopefully the haters on all sides will get an ulcer.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Schleck wins!!

Contador rode as if he was being drafted by the devil himself. Why? Because he knew that winning by only 39 seconds in the overall standings over Schleck would put an asterisk on his third tour win.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
ianclark said:
Contador rode as if he was being drafted by the devil himself. Why? Because he knew that winning by only 39 seconds in the overall standings over Schleck would put an asterisk on his third tour win.

Agreed. His final push for the line had to be for that purpose. After the second time check I bet he was pretty certain he'd keep the yellow jersey, but he needed that extra 31 seconds. Which he didn't get (or barely got).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
VoidSix said:
Agreed. His final push for the line had to be for that purpose. After the second time check I bet he was pretty certain he'd keep the yellow jersey, but he needed that extra 31 seconds. Which he didn't get (or barely got).

Exactamundo!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
TopCarbon said:
best tour since Lemond/Hinault

Totally agree...

What a fight! An eloge to all three of them,Contador,Schleck and Menchov.

For once in a long time I actually enjoyed le Tour as much as the Giro.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i thought it had fizzled out by the second rest day with all the controversy and messing about on Ax3 but tourmalet was very good and time trial was an unexpected surprise

Great tour! Can you imagine if AS chain didn't fall off!? Then again 'if' is useless, but still!
Intense!

It's still a shame that there is so much conservative riding the TdF, but I can understand it since it's the most prestigious race for cycling. Because of that not the most exciting race to follow though.

I hope Contador stays at this level. Last year he seemed impossible to beat in the upcoming years, but this year AS proofed he is close. Also Menchov is only at 2 minutes which isn't that bad really.

There are some promising new talents coming and next year with Ricco for some extra fireworks.

Congratulations Alberto Contador!

Ahhh damn when does the Vuelta start? :/

I cant believe what i am reading here

THis has been an appauling tour.

Lets look at the mountain stages
Morzine - schleck wins 10 seconds, big deal
Madeline, good stage, gc shakeup, very interesting
Alpine stage 3 Breakaway wins by 10 min, cav leads the bunch hom, ON AN ALPLINE STAGE !!!!!! No gc shakeup
Pyranees day 1 Breakaway win, no gc shakeup
Pyranees day 2 Breakaway win, Schleck mechanical only interesting thing all day.
Pyranees day 3 Breakaway wins by 10 mins, Hushovd leads bunch home - on the queen stage !!! No gc shakeup
Pyranees day 4 Schleck and Conti split but remain together for duration of Tourmalet, no GC shakeup

A decent TT where Schleck threatens briefly to take 2 secs from conti, though everyone knows its not going to happen.

Very poor tour.

The organisers of the Vuelta must be relieved, they dont have much of an act to follow.
Hell after this, im even excited about the Tour de Pologne, (though it is my motherland)

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Alpine stage 3 Breakaway wins by 10 min, cav leads the bunch hom, ON AN ALPLINE STAGE !!!!!! No gc shakeup
Pyranees day 2 Breakaway win, Schleck mechanical only interesting thing all day.
Pyranees day 3 Breakaway wins by 10 mins, Hushovd leads bunch home - on the queen stage !!! No gc shakeup
Pyranees day 4 Schleck and Conti split but remain together for duration of Tourmalet, no GC shakeup

A decent TT where Schleck threatens briefly to take 2 secs from conti, though everyone knows its not going to happen.

Very poor tour.

The organisers of the Vuelta must be relieved, they dont have much of an act to follow.
Hell after this, im even excited about the Tour de Pologne, (though it is my motherland)
better to have a close race at the end then a walk away like the Lance Years.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
VoidSix said:

focus man focus.........its a grand tour .......thats 3 wks
it was over a 2 minute time turn around for contador after stage 7

the strongest guy won.......now that lance is gone im guessing you will be also.......................:eek:

TopCarbon said:
better to have a close race at the end then a walk away like the Lance Years.

Perhaps. But contador was always in the commanding position in this tour. even at 40 seconds to schleck, no one ever thought he would hold that through the mountains and the tt.

And when lance walked away with it, at least he raced for it, and you had contenders finishing individualy or in small groups on mountain stages.

Contador and Schlekc came in within 10 seconds of eachother in all but stage 3 (cobbles) and stage 16 (chaingate)
Menchov and Samu and Gesink and Rodriguez came in with them in i think all but 1 or 2 stages.

Contador looked exhausted after the time trial. He had a bad day. It just shows that Schleck has finished the Tour in better condition than Contador and it took a champion to hold him off.

I have never seen Contador that tired after a stage. Great entertainment. Hopefully next year's race will have just as much drama minus so many crashes.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Great Tour, all of the top three deserved their place.

Hard to see how we can top this again next year but the battle between Bertie and Andy will be worth the wait.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
Great Tour, all of the top three deserved their place.

Hard to see how we can top this again next year but the battle between Bertie and Andy will be worth the wait.

The battle next year may well be great, but didn't contador hint at racing the Giro and Vuelta next year (thus presumably snubbing the TDF)?

"I'm going to go away, rest and relax, and think about what I'm going to do in the future. At the moment, I'm evaluating several different options for next year. I hope to have a quiet winter, after which I'll set my objectives. The Giro and the Vuelta might be a possibility for next year. As for this year's Vuelta, I will rest and relax for a bit and then see how it looks with the team. However, the most likely scenario is that I will not take part."

Contador was pretty poor by his own standards this year, and still managed to win. I think he peaked far too soon this season, and has clearly not been at his best this tour. If he does race the TDF next year, think he beats Andy again, this time by a wider margin.

The Hitch said:
Contador and Schlekc came in within 10 seconds of eachother in all but stage 3 (cobbles) and stage 16 (chaingate)

And the prologue.

At least we weren't 100% sure of who would win until the final TT was over. 2007 and 2008 provided that drama, but at least from 1999-2005, and in 2009, we weren't given that. This tour gets a thumbs up for that, and hopefully it's just an appetizer for a great rivalry for years to come... if Conti and Schleck split tours in future years based on form and route, this will be viewed as a good prologue to that.

Just trying to put some positive spin...

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Very poor tour.

Your glass is definitely half empty.

TRENDING THREADS