• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Breaking news...Armstrong stripped off moonlanding

Buzz Aldrin now first man on the moon
Screen-shot-2012-08-25-at-11.10.41-AM.jpg

krinaman said:
I really hope the poster doesn't realize Neil Armstrong died today.

Because that is completely inappropriate.

I disagree. Neil Armstrong is--and eternally will be--so high off the charts on the coolness factor, that no amount of joking could possibly diminish him.

RIP Mr. Armstrong. Civilian dude first on the moon!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The thing is I just only read he died... Kinda unfortunate timing

Sure you did. That's why you asked "Too soon?" 10 minutes after creating the thread. I don't see it as being too inappropriate, but don't pull an L. Armstrong and deny the crime.

The thing a lot of people think there never was a moon landing, they think it was just a conspiracy put together by the US to get one over the Russians.

And over the years these people have tried to expose this myth but they have just been labeled as bitter ex-astronauts or scientists with axes to grind.

The US went to the moon over 500 times, Armstrong was the first and he has done so much for the world of science his legacy should remain safe from these unfounded attacks.

R.I.P. Neil.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
The thing a lot of people think there never was a moon landing, they think it was just a conspiracy put together by the US to get one over the Russians.

And over the years these people have tried to expose this myth but they have just been labeled as bitter ex-astronauts or scientists with axes to grind.

The US went to the moon over 500 times, Armstrong was the first and he has done so much for the world of science his legacy should remain safe from these unfounded attacks.

R.I.P. Neil.

Yeah sure, over 500 times. Never failed once. Well, except Apollo 13, but they got a backdated exemption for that...

Cyivel said:
I respect the OP

I respect the OP and it appears it could have just been a horrible timing coincidence, no? But to knowingly post it now really says something about this forum.

Rouetheday said:
It must suck not having a sense of humour.

I suppose making jokes about 9/11 on 9/12 was ok with you, too, then. There's a time for topical humor to work. Now is not that time.

Aside from that, I liked the episode of Seinfeld where George was competing against a mythical Neil for a woman's attention and Jerry asked what if it's Neil Armstrong and George answers then I guess I am going to Mars.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
I respect the OP and it appears it could have just been a horrible timing coincidence, no? But to knowingly post it now really says something about this forum.

I suppose making jokes about 9/11 on 9/12 was ok with you, too, then. There's a time for topical humor to work. Now is not that time.

Aside from that, I liked the episode of Seinfeld where George was competing against a mythical Neil for a woman's attention and Jerry asked what if it's Neil Armstrong and George answers then I guess I am going to Mars.

Don't you people get that the OP's overriding mission was to ridicule the Armstrong named Lance and not the one named Neil? I'm sure this comes off as rather patronising, but that can't be helped. :rolleyes:

I personally can't see the equivilency between the slaughter of 3000 men, women, and children and an 82 year old dying in his sleep, but maybe that's just me. And as for topical humor, the time for it to work is pretty much right now. That's the very definition of topical humor.

While you may have liked that particular episode of 'Seinfeld', ggusta, I imagine you fired off angry letters to NBC after the ones where George nearly killed the Bubble Boy and Susan dropped dead after licking those envelopes. :p

When I read the news this morning I was myself contemplating how to turn this into a piece of satire without being slammed for inappropriateness. Especially as the first moonlandings have been disputed more, and with stronger evidence without dependancy of witnesses, than the cleanliness of Lance.

TRENDING THREADS