• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Breschel's comments

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Didn't see any comments on this.

"They f**ked it up," Breschel told De Telegraaf after the race. "I was handed Stuart O'Grady's bike!" he continued, visibly frustrated.

Breschel's "mother of all bike changes" ended up taking the Dane out of contention in a race where he had already begun to show his strength. He recently won the Dwars door Vlaanderen with a bold solo move 20 kilometers from the finish and, while Cancellara looked unstoppable today, he would have liked the opportunity to be a part of the final.

Makes it sound like he could have chased Fab down for a chance at the win. I don't understand because, team-mates don't chace each other down. Am I missing something?

KC

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
kevinc said:

"They f**ked it up," Breschel told De Telegraaf after the race. "I was handed Stuart O'Grady's bike!" he continued, visibly frustrated.

Breschel's "mother of all bike changes" ended up taking the Dane out of contention in a race where he had already begun to show his strength. He recently won the Dwars door Vlaanderen with a bold solo move 20 kilometers from the finish and, while Cancellara looked unstoppable today, he would have liked the opportunity to be a part of the final.

Makes it sound like he could have chased Fab down for a chance at the win. I don't understand because, team-mates don't chace each other down. Am I missing something?

KC
He might have finished 3rd without the defect. That's a pretty important result, particuarly for a young rider with Breschels relative lack of Palmaras. It would be strange for him not to be frustrated. Though, on a related note, I think the final could easily have gone very differently if Breschel had been there, because the tactics of the situation would have changed a lot with a second strong Saxo Bank rider. Not that it would necessarily have changed the final winner, but it would have been different.

kevinc said:

KC

Sure they do, just ask Ullrich!:rolleyes:

Hopefully he can use his anger to get a good result next weekend in Paris-Roubaix!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the reporter took it out of context and is trying to make something out of nothing. Not that they would do anything like that.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
When did Contador chase a teammate?

He didn't. He has, however, been chased down by his teammate. Well, rephrase that: Contador's teammate attempted to chase him down, but couldn't catch him.

I suppose my initial post should've just said Lance rather than AC.

Beech Mtn said:
He didn't. He has, however, been chased down by his teammate. Well, rephrase that: Contador's teammate attempted to chase him down, but couldn't catch him.

I suppose my initial post should've just said Lance rather than AC.

Got it. Yes, watching Lance and his boy Kloeden attempt to chase down Contador on Verbier was almost as objectionable as it was futile.

Breschel has been on fire the last few weeks it's a shame he didn't get the chance to be in among it at Flanders because of a bike mix up - I feel his pain!

Looking forward to Roubaix - lot's of riders on form who are motivated to get a result...

Cancellara, Boonen, Flecha, Hincapie, Breschel, Millar etc

It's going to be a blast :)

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Beech Mtn said:
Breschel is also up for contract renewal, or going somewhere else at the end of this year.

Indeed after reading that he's thinking to move next year and then those comments after Flanders (which he had all the rights to be ****ed off), well, seems like he might indeed change team almost for sure.

One interesting thing is that he mentioned he could move, but also the Shlecks bros said it and that they could bring Cancellara.
So...seems like a lot of people leaving Riis?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Breschels mechanical came at a critical part of the race - before the move of Canc & Boneen.

Riis has responded - they had repaired Cancellaras bike after his mechanical and raced ahead of the bunch, so Cancellara could get back on his original bike.

So, there was no mechanic in the car following the peloton at that moment.

A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
Breschel has been on fire the last few weeks it's a shame he didn't get the chance to be in among it at Flanders because of a bike mix up - I feel his pain!

Looking forward to Roubaix - lot's of riders on form who are motivated to get a result...

Cancellara, Boonen, Flecha, Hincapie, Breschel, Millar etc

It's going to be a blast :)

Yes it is...and I will be in the car driving back from a family vacation so I wont watch it...I will have to keep up with the ticker on my iphone...suckage maximus! Oh well, I am taking one for the team....

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
welcome to the spring classics, mr. breschel! :) one guy wins, everyone else gets heartbreak and disappointment and suffering.

but don't worry, there is more heartbreak and disappointment and suffering next week! the whole world can see how strong you are on a bike right now. so your contract is not going to depend on your placing in flanders, but how you mentally bounce back from the monumental types of frustrations that define these types of races. go crush roubaix!

remember, cancellara (who is your teammate btw, so you should be elated that he won) snapped a chain last year on the koppenburg and was immediately eliminated from competition, in a race he was fit enough to contend. yeah, he complained bitterly, swore a bit in the media, and then came back this year to make a statement. championship quality stuff!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
that's another mechanical that's knocked Matti out of a result lately. didn't he have a puncture that ended his position recently?

really looking forward to watching him at Roubaix and hopefully coming away with a win

Yep at Ghent-Wevelgem. He essentially made the race and then had a puncture with 17 k to go. Slow wheel change from the neutral service car and he goes from having a really good shot at winning to an 8th place. He's had a really bad 8 days mechanics-wise.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Breschels mechanical came at a critical part of the race - before the move of Canc & Boneen.

Riis has responded - they had repaired Cancellaras bike after his mechanical and raced ahead of the bunch, so Cancellara could get back on his original bike.

So, there was no mechanic in the car following the peloton at that moment.

I'd missed that thanks. Only one mechanic? surprising.

Also Cancellara mentioned that his brakes were rubbing too in the post-race interview on sporza. I think he was talking about the spare bike at that point.

Krap Police

BANNED
Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Congrats Matti, you Farrar,Piti and the german sprinter teutonic have made the 2010 crybaby list.

Grate post there TB-DB. MB had every right to be pissed. Its not like he asked to be interviewed right after the race.

Hey Flubber, do U actually race bikes?

Krap Police said:
Grate post there TB-DB. MB had every right to be pissed. Its not like he asked to be interviewed right after the race.

Hey Flubber, do U actually race bikes?

C'mon Krap. lighten up on Gum Flapper. I mean jeez, Matti's only 2" taller than Stuey. I'm sure the bike was a near perfect fit.

TRENDING THREADS