• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British Eurosports 2010 TdF Commentary Team

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
David Harmon and Sean Kelly will be on the route.

In the studio, not sure. I'm sure Roche is a guest based on what Nicholas Roche said at the team presentation.
I'd imagine Carlton Kirby will do his usual self based in Paris or London and chip in at random points.

Studio? I think his name is Simon Richardson usually, he might be busy with the world cup though (in his job at the guardian).

doddy13 said:
David Harmon and Sean Kelly will be on the route.

In the studio, not sure. I'm sure Roche is a guest based on what Nicholas Roche said at the team presentation.
I'd imagine Carlton Kirby will do his usual self based in Paris or London and chip in at random points.

Studio? I think his name is Simon Richardson usually, he might be busy with the world cup though (in his job at the guardian).

It took me a while to understand and work this out by googling a bunch of names, (because i had no idea)but what you mean is that James Richardson, who used to present a football show called football italia is the sam bald guy who presents the tour de france from inside te studio. I had no idea they were the same person so thanks.

Last year they had Richardson and Roache as the constants in the studio with one other (usually british cyclist) appearing as a 3rd commentator.

And what will Kirby do other than present planet lance?

May 31, 2010
Visit site
usually the studio is james richardson, but he may be doing the football.

backstead, roche, duffield, and some other english speaking riders generally appear

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know where I can find a good British Eurosport feed online? I've tried cyclingfans in the past but the video is pretty bad. I don't think I can take 3wks of Phil and Paul and Bob Roll.

Pharazon said:
well, the whole TDF is live on ITV4 this year as well, so you get to put up with the wonders of the internation english commentary Lance Armstrong love fest that is Phil and Paul... fun fun fun

possibly better than harmon and kelly who bore me.

Looks like eurosport is showing the 1st stage on sunday in its entirerty starting at 12 45 and finishing at 4 30.

The Hitch said:
possibly better than harmon and kelly who bore me.

Looks like eurosport is showing the 1st stage on sunday in its entirerty starting at 12 45 and finishing at 4 30.

12-45 is the daily start time. Expect a half an hour of chat, so a 1-20pmish start. That is the time France 2 goes live.
Except Sunday, France 2 kicks off at 12-30 pm BST. So no whole stage until next Saturday..........

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sneekes said:
I like Boardman too, but he's not a proper scouser. He's a plazzie scouser.

yeah, someone else said this too, isn't he from the wirral? i like him anyhow, shame he was in the sport at a time when you needed to be juiced to do well :(

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
it's not bad, he has been there and done it, but he is a scouser

He's from Hoylake so technically speaking he's not quite a scouser! I can claim to be a scouser having spent about 5 days in a Birkenhead hospital being born!

Yeah, Hoylake or Heswall on the Wirral, can't remember which.

I love the story about how he didn't want/couldn't afford to go abroad for altitude training so he hermetically sealed one of the bedrooms in his house and pumped a controlled level of C02 in through the window so that the oxygen levels then matched those at altitude. Then he trained on rollers.

Nuts!

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sneekes said:
Yeah, Hoylake or Heswall on the Wirral, can't remember which.

I love the story about how he didn't want/couldn't afford to go abroad for altitude training so he hermetically sealed one of the bedrooms in his house and pumped a controlled level of C02 in through the window so that the oxygen levels then matched those at altitude. Then he trained on rollers.

Nuts!

yeah, he kicked his son out of his room and turned it into an altitude chamber.:D

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Boardman is terrible!
Il never forget him saying after stage 15 in 2008 that it was between 5
Frank Kohl Evans vandevelde and menchov!
Furthermore he went on to say
"Carlos Sastre doesn't appear to be able to attack solo and so he must support Frank"
I just remember laffing when Sastre won solo on Alpe d huez and won the tour

From then on i have never respected his opinion

ttrider said:
Boardman is terrible!
Il never forget him saying after stage 15 in 2008 that it was between 5
Frank Kohl Evans vandevelde and menchov!
Furthermore he went on to say
"Carlos Sastre doesn't appear to be able to attack solo and so he must support Frank"
I just remember laffing when Sastre won solo on Alpe d huez and won the tour

From then on i have never respected his opinion

to be fair, when has anyone ever got a cycling result correct, beyond, armstrong/ contador/ mig will win the tour or cancellara will win the time trial

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
I vaguely remember a Eurosport commentator making an off-colour remark last year and was 'relieved' from duties for a couple of days. Who was that?

That'd be David Harmon at the end of the World Championships Road Race - unles there's another I don't remember.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
I vaguely remember a Eurosport commentator making an off-colour remark last year and was 'relieved' from duties for a couple of days. Who was that?

Yeh but he got it so wrong its beyond belief! The way he was purposefully outspoken and damning to Sastre before Alpe d'huez was just comical

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
Anyone know if the ITV4 anyalsis from Boardman is any good?

yes - it saves it from being unwatchable - usually there is a podcast for each stage you can download if they have geo-IP limited etc the video coverage

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
what did he say?

As i remember it, Eurosport cut to a commercial break without telling Harmon and he then let his producer know exactly what he thought, not realising he was still on air in certain parts.
There was a clip on youtube but i can't seem to find it just now. If anyone else has a link...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
what did he say?

His producer told him that they were ending the programme fairly suddenly before they had done the podium and he said something like.

"Whaaaat! No podium. That's boll**ks JC".

The last bit is definitely exact.

TRENDING THREADS