• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Broken Wheels

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In light of the Giro's stage 9 catastrophe of broken wheels, can we get some pictures or at least makes and models so we don't buy those wheels that the rest of might use on dangerous roads that we use?

The roads I ride on I am frequented with railroad and cattle crossings so the wheels used will most definitely be un-acceptable for me. Not to mention pot holes an inch or two deep, yes I bunny hop them but on occasion I hit them :mad:

Please can someone list the brands and model of wheels that broke?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey! James Huang, this is a great story for you to run. The wheels of the Giro that could not take the streets of Milan. I suggest some photo's of the broken wheels, there were many according to the riders. Then the story from the mechanics view and analysis. Then close on a report from the manufacture.

Investigative reporting at its BEST! Scoop it!

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Mavic Open Pros + Durace + DTs = no wheel breaks
Sure they look pov compared to the Attacks I wanted but when it's windy as fk and my 63kg is latched onto a big legged sprinter, and riding over pov Victorian potholes on my Roubaix, I blow my nose at you English pig dog. Your father was an Englishman and your mother smelt of elderberries. Now go back to your (pov) Mavics or I shall taunt you a second time-ah.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
In light of the Giro's stage 9 catastrophe of broken wheels, can we get some pictures or at least makes and models so we don't buy those wheels that the rest of might use on dangerous roads that we use?

The roads I ride on I am frequented with railroad and cattle crossings so the wheels used will most definitely be un-acceptable for me. Not to mention pot holes an inch or two deep, yes I bunny hop them but on occasion I hit them :mad:

Please can someone list the brands and model of wheels that broke?

Broken R-Sys, post recall..

http://dmoynihan.smugmug.com/gallery/8242402_KGZcQ#539036861_TABEk

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:

and again:

http://velonews.com/article/93054

Makes me wonder why anyone would buy an R-sys wheelset - or a bike specced with them for that matter. It would be hard to get a less aero wheel - box section rim and really really thick spokes. To top it off it isn't that light and apparently can fail catastrophically. Oh yeah, and it's expensive. It is however stiff so that makes up for it although it tends to lose this property when it spontaneously collapses.