• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brothers in crank arms 2 - the Tanfields

Are we going to see these two talented youngsters from the North York Moors make the progression up to WT level at some point? They've developed outside the British Cycling system, so it's pretty remarkable to see them winning Commonwealth medals. Clearly they both have good engines ... will they get snapped up and make the step up? I hope so.

These guys are two years apart in age yet both born on 17 November... spooky

They are nice riders but they are nothing really special on the road, probably not WT standard, Harry is already 23 and Charlie will probably focus on the track until 2020, making him 24 before he can even fully focus on the road. IMO Charlie should focus on the track, he can win many medals in big events there. Harry is probably a Cont level rider, which is where he is just now, and at best a Pro Conti guy like McNally at Wanty, although he needs to show more to get to that level

They are young with time to develop. Ok, the Commonwealths aren't such a big deal but 2nd in the TT isn't to be sniffed at. Maybe you are right and PCT level is where they are at. Agreed re. Charlie ... he may stick to pursuit. They are a slightly unconventional pair though so I wouldn't be surprised to see him mix things up a bit.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
They are young with time to develop. Ok, the Commonwealths aren't such a big deal but 2nd in the TT isn't to be sniffed at. Maybe you are right and PCT level is where they are at. Agreed re. Charlie ... he may stick to pursuit. They are a slightly unconventional pair though so I wouldn't be surprised to see him mix things up a bit.

Exactly, I wasn't trying to detract from their results, Harry had some respectable rides in smaller races in Europe last year, Charlie has a silver (behind a pretty good Cam Meyer) in the Commies TT and he is already a World Champ in Team Pursuit, nothing to be sniffed at, I just question how much better they can get on the road. Charlie can be a star on the track for sure

I was at the Commonwealth TT yesterday and although the Tanfields rode well, Meyer totally annihilated that race. He still had plenty left in the tank after winning by a good 30 seconds. If a good, but not great WT rider can do that to them I wouldn’t get too carried away.

Well, I'm hardly getting carried away ... just pondering. Thanks for the input though. As I recall, it was around the age of 21 that the Yates bros started to make their mark. Some take longer. The Tanfields aren't climbers though, maybe the career progression will be different. Cam Meyer is a seasoned pro. Harry is 21 I think. One of them will improve.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
The inevitable has happened and Harry has been signed to ride the WT next season. It will be interesting to see how he fares.
Yes, I am really looking forward to seeing how he does. Was posting earlier on the Transfer thread. Don't know much about how Katusha develop young riders. Will be interesting to see where they place him. Obviously team trial potential and breakaways, trying to lead out Kittel?? (someone's got to be the right one to do it). Was really exciting watching him on tv win from breakaway in Tour of Yorkshire.

Re:

JoeD1997 said:
These guys are two years apart in age yet both born on 17 November... spooky
Coincidences happen.
On the other hand, 17 November is just right for conception on Valentine's Day.

Can I nominate the Tuletts for Brother in Crank Arms 3?
Senior (Dan) was runner up to Tom Pidcock at the Junior CX worlds the year before last. and Junior (Ben) has just become the only rider other than MvdP to defend the Junior title

TRENDING THREADS