• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Both turned pro with the Aussies this year and have made very solid starts after glittering U23 careers.

Adam -

11th GC Tour de San Luis ('14)
22nd GC Volta Ciclista a Catalunya ('14)
7th stage Volta Ciclista a Catalunya ('14)
1st stage Tour of Turkey
1st Tour of Turkey

4th stage Tour of California x2
5th Tour of California
3rd stage Dauphine x2
6th Dauphine
1st GP Industria & Artigianato
5th Giro Della Toscana
9th Tirreno Adriatico

http://www.strava.com/athletes/278282

Simon -

12th GC Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco ('14)
7th GC Tour de Slovenie (& Young Rider Jersey)
3rd British National Championship
3rd Stage, Pais Vasco
5th Pais Vasco

http://www.strava.com/athletes/278282

Yeah they had the offer from Sky but it was much better they went to OGE, their chances of freedom at Sky would have been limited but they've started well. They have been involved with many of the British staff and I expect them to sign for Sky in the future.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess Porte - Yates swap possible in future possibly.

Both impressing, not many riders moving from U23 to Pro ranks perform at all in first year in terms of results.

Adam is almost best OGE climber already while Simon best puncheur :eek: :D :cool:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say, I for one am very glad they chose Orica instead of Sky. And not because I'm not Sky's biggest fan or anything like that. Instead of going to a team based on nationalism they chose their team by the opportunities they would get on it.

They are focused on getting the chance to ride as leaders and win races. That's a good quality for them to have.

Both have a bright future ahead of them.

Wow a climber riding for Orica!...
Seriously though I like the Adam almost won a MTF so I can label him as a climber. And Simon was 12th in Basque Country so he's obviously a puncheur. And now I won't confuse them anymore :D
Now I wonder how they would do if they were riding for Sky... In my view, they should stay put as long as they can't be the top GC rider for Sky. Even if they can, Orica seems to have a quite laid back attitude that I personally find quite interesting: go for results, have fun, chill out. Seems to be taking the best out of most of their riders (except Goss) so it definitely works.
Now, Orica DS's please take note :)D):
Adam: Austria, Burgos and whatever else he wants except the Vuelta.
Simon: every 1.1, 1.HC italian race until the end of the season. This means the 'trittico lombardo', Piemonte, Torino... and specially Emillia, because San Luca is just awesome :cool:
They can ride together in Poland if they like!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Joy and disappointment for them today. Sad to see Simon out of racing for a while. :( Hope he can make a quick comeback.

Great result for Adam though. Oh Why oh why did I not take both for my CQ team. Had both for the longest time. Would have probably been better off taking Adam then Cobo.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

Both impressing, not many riders moving from U23 to Pro ranks perform at all in first year in terms of results.

Adam is almost best OGE climber already while Simon best puncheur :eek: :D :cool:

lol, that's some optimism there.

May 31, 2013
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
If I recall correctly their reason for choosing OGE was the knowledge that they wouldn't really be able to ride their own chances at SKY.

Which is ironic because they way sky have gone this year they would have had those chances

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Who else think Adam Yates has alot of poetnetial to win the GT's. I no we never no stuff like recovery he maybe a Lulu Sanchez type which is no shame but i believe in the guy. I cant wait to see if he win the TDF we no the anti British on this site. God help help us if that small country who has suc ked at Cycling starts dominating. Haha it's our time.Unlucky Holland and Belgium and France and Italy for that matter you established countries cant do much in the "big races vs us.

Who do the Azzuri have to challenge oh yeh a guy who has to attack on any downhill as he cant hold a candle to Froome, Holland meh Mollema haha. Blegium(their still liveing off the best cyclist name ever). Just face facts GB, Colombia and Spain are the best GT riders.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Who else think Adam Yates has alot of poetnetial to win the GT's. I no we never no stuff like recovery he maybe a Lulu Sanchez type which is no shame but i believe in the guy. I cant wait to see if he win the TDF we no the anti British on this site. God help help us if that small country who has suc ked at Cycling starts dominating. Haha it's our time.Unlucky Holland and Belgium and France and Italy for that matter you established countries cant do much in the "big races vs us.

Who do the Azzuri have to challenge oh yeh a guy who has to attack on any downhill as he cant hold a candle to Froome, Holland meh Mollema haha. Blegium(their still liveing off the best cyclist name ever). Just face facts GB, Colombia and Spain are the best GT riders.

Now I know why there is the occasional anti-British comment. Trolls like you!

CycloAndy said:
Now I know why there is the occasional anti-British comment. Trolls like you!

Adam Yates has shown 10x more climbing talent at his age than the last 2 TDF winners.

Or if you want to say they were late starters, he has shown 10x more gt talent at this stage of his cycling career than the last 2 TDF winners, as well as the last Vuelta winner and the 2nd to last Giro winner.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:

Far to early to tell for sure IMO.

And why, when you ask a question in a post do you then follow that up by making some kind of grand generalization of the entire forum? :confused:

Just because Froome and Wiggins are disliked by the majority of forum posters and are British does not mean that every British rider is hated by the forum as a whole. If you bothered to read what has been said on the Yates brothers you would find they are liked by many here.

Re. your last paragraph. I really don't understand what your saying here. Why do you feel the need to mock riders from other nations? And who ever said that Britain, Colombia, and Spain didn't have the best GT riders?

Gloin22 said:

Interesting to see the subtle change at OGE, probably has been their longer term strategy to build the team with a few climbers and balance the sprint/time trial/ one day strengths. With the Yates boys joining Chavez and Santaromita, along with the likes of Meyer, Weening and Clarke, it will give OGE some genuine climbing ability and it looks to me that Weening will be a great mentor in this area. Meyer is just a couple of years ahead of them, so this will push him along nicely as well.

Simon may have to wait just a bit longer to pass Gerro and Alba as the teams top puncheur though ;-)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Far to early to tell for sure IMO.

And why, when you ask a question in a post do you then follow that up by making some kind of grand generalization of the entire forum? :confused:

Just because Froome and Wiggins are disliked by the majority of forum posters and are British does not mean that every British rider is hated by the forum as a whole. If you bothered to read what has been said on the Yates brothers you would find they are liked by many here.

Re. your last paragraph. I really don't understand what your saying here. Why do you feel the need to mock riders from other nations? And who ever said that Britain, Colombia, and Spain didn't have the best GT riders?

Im not mocking them Gesink has always been a av of mine but ifeel alot of the forum hate to those too is about brit's winning it is only my opinion. I think Contador on Sky nothing happens and you no that aswell.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Im not mocking them Gesink has always been a av of mine but ifeel alot of the forum hate to those too is about brit's winning it is only my opinion. I think Contador on Sky nothing happens and you no that aswell.

I understood about 3 words of that. :eek:

Anyways, to get back on topic. Very nice win for Yates today. And with just a couple flat stages to go looks like he'll have the GC wrapped up. :)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
I understood about 3 words of that. :eek:

Anyways, to get back on topic. Very nice win for Yates today. And with just a couple flat stages to go looks like he'll have the GC wrapped up. :)

Come on i meant fav instead of av dont be smart.

And yes a great win is their ITT here?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope, no TT. Next couple stages-

Presidential-Cycling-Tour-of-Turkey-Stage-7-1392639661.png

Presidential-Cycling-Tour-of-Turkey-Stage-8-1392639694.png

Both classified as flat stages. Don't see anything that will put him in too much difficulty. Of course Taaramae is only a second back, would be cool if he did try something. Just for the hell of it.

TRENDING THREADS