• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TANK91 said:
Im not mocking them Gesink has always been a av of mine but ifeel alot of the forum hate to those too is about brit's winning it is only my opinion. I think Contador on Sky nothing happens and you no that aswell.

Pffff. English is your native language isn't it?
Would be nice if we could actually understand what you are writing.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Top GC finisher on the climb tonight - cracking effort for such a young rider to stay strong in the heat on such a long grind - if there was a stronger team pushing it he may even have made more time and pushed up to the podium, but one shouldn't be greedy I suppose.

Still continues to impress me, a very solid ride when many were put into trouble at the end there.

The Yates boys and Chavez fit nicely into the OGE plan. They cap off what has been an extraordinary month for Greenedge with Gerrans, Yates (Turkey), Tuft, Mathews, the TTT team and even Goss coming back to some form in California.

Wilba60 said:
The Yates boys and Chavez fit nicely into the OGE plan. They cap off what has been an extraordinary month for Greenedge with Gerrans, Yates (Turkey), Tuft, Mathews, the TTT team and even Goss coming back to some form in California.

Albasini in Romandie, too. They're just really good at knowing their strengths and how to target wins based on these strengths.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Just re-read my posts and would love to know which is overboard - He's riding brilliantly and I'm noting it - I can't see any serious posts saying they have to win X Y Z in future.

Was just kidding :p

Anyhow, didn't expect Adam to be such a hit already. Still think Simon 12th in Pais Vasco is more impressive so far out of all their results though, that had amazing field and WT level race.

First post of this thread is building nicely.

Simon due back for the Bayern Rundfahrt or Slovenia if he's not ready then - not sure if Adam will race the same races but would make sense given how few stage races are left for Orica this year outside grand tours.

Hopefully they get to ride Poland, Alberta and the Canook 1 dayers, but those all suit every other decent rider Orica have too.

Given the way talent clusters around hills in that team, I'm guessing they'll both get a 'no pressure but no one else is leading' ride in a GT next year.

Rueful smile and shake of the head from Adam on stage 6 (?) of TOC. The one where he finished just ahead of Wiggins. Maybe thinking that slightly cleverer tactics could have got him another podium?

Anyone else think Porte will be at Orica next year? If so will obviously change the dynamics of the team and the Yates's role

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
If Porte moves back and Yates develop at current rate, Orica won't have money to keep them. So there could be a 'swap' as I said before, not officially though.

Gloin22 said:
If Porte moves back and Yates develop at current rate, Orica won't have money to keep them. So there could be a 'swap' as I said before, not officially though.

I can see this happening, maybe not next season but by 2016. The Yates brothers have had plenty of support from the Sky development team in the past and no doubt Sky will want to get them back.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
But will they want to come back? I think that's the main question. They're doing very well with Orica so far (at least Adam is, Simon had some delay from his crash). Wouldn't surprise me if they chose to stick with them, I hope they do as well. They'll still get more chances with Orica then they would with Sky over the next couple years.

Afrank said:
But will they want to come back? I think that's the main question. They're doing very well with Orica so far (at least Adam is, Simon had some delay from his crash). Wouldn't surprise me if they chose to stick with them, I hope they do as well. They'll still get more chances with Orica then they would with Sky over the next couple years.

Adam, yes.

For Simon, he's stuck behind Gerrens and Albasini as the same type of rider, and judging so far, he's being pushed in to more of a pure climber schedule as a result - going to a team which can't crack the top 50 of the Ardennes might be a smart move for him.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

It's hard to tell. They didn't join Sky because of a lack of personal opportunities at Sky due to the wealth of leaders already at Sky and the fact that they'd need to prove themselves as doms first. However, now they've had time to prove themselves, if Wiggins (retirement/track) and Porte (potential swap) were no longer about, then they might get the assurances at Sky they want.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Adam, yes.

For Simon, he's stuck behind Gerrens and Albasini as the same type of rider, and judging so far, he's being pushed in to more of a pure climber schedule as a result - going to a team which can't crack the top 50 of the Ardennes might be a smart move for him.

But they are both older than him (34) and both brothers rode F-W this year, so I'm sure Simon can keep on developing/ eventually crack the Ardennes squad (no point sending them to a race OGE had real ambitions in, when they had more experienced riders) and then eventually start challenging in his own right.

TRENDING THREADS