• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brussels Cycling Classic 2013 (7th September) (1.HC)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
STARTLIST

342_2013_.jpg

342_2013_.jpg

British Eurosport aren't showing it this year. Sky Sports have highlights the day after on the Sunday.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Heyyyy how did I manage to miss this race? It's all right in the area where I always go cycling myself!

It even included the Smeysberg which is the steepest hill in the area, I'd have liked to see that live! :(

If they put in some more hills and finish a bit more in the east of Brussels, it could be a more selective race, but it would just be another Brabantse Pijl, or another Druivekoers. Which I wouldn't mind btw, both are nice races!

It's nice to have two 1.HC races and another two 1.1 races that are based arround local laps that are basically my training rides though :cool:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Heyyyy how did I manage to miss this race? It's all right in the area where I always go cycling myself!

It even included the Smeysberg which is the steepest hill in the area, I'd have liked to see that live! :(

If they put in some more hills and finish a bit more in the east of Brussels, it could be a more selective race, but it would just be another Brabantse Pijl, or another Druivekoers. Which I wouldn't mind btw, both are nice races!

It's nice to have two 1.HC races and another two 1.1 races that are based arround local laps that are basically my training rides though :cool:

Those are the roads I use in my training rides too! :p

I agree, the Smeysberg is nice but not really enough for a proper selective race, even a couple of times.

It also seems like the new finish is just too far from the 'hot' roads of Brabant to favour a break but it isn't easy to figure out a good alternative.

The advantage of this one was that it ended on a pretty wide boulevard off the big arterial roads and I can't think of anything similar nearer to the east side of the city except maybe the Woluwepark. A bit narrow on the approach but a nice, broad uphill finish. Or the less inspiring and not very accessible N227.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Those are the roads I use in my training rides too! :p

I agree, the Smeysberg is nice but not really enough for a proper selective race, even a couple of times.

It also seems like the new finish is just too far from the 'hot' roads of Brabant to favour a break but it isn't easy to figure out a good alternative.

The advantage of this one was that it ended on a pretty wide boulevard off the big arterial roads and I can't think of anything similar nearer to the east side of the city except maybe the Woluwepark. A bit narrow on the approach but a nice, broad uphill finish. Or the less inspiring and not very accessible N227.

Yeah the finish is a problem. Brabant just doesn't have selective enough climbs to make a selective race if they can only be used that far away from the finish. On it's own I agree the Smeysberg isn't anywhere near enough to cause a selective race, but if it's put in a local lap that is a bit more selective than what it is now it might do the trick. That would make the race a copy of the Brabantse Pijl though. :p

TRENDING THREADS