• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryan Coquard Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He would surely have been able to make a bigger impact than what they can now in the sprints.

Bernaudeau's explanation and fixation on him not being able to best Démare is extremely stupid because, while it's true that Coquard hasn't shown the best form of his life recently, none other riders will be capable to do that either.

It equates to a scenario in which Katusha would not take Kristoff to the cobbled classics because he hasn't been very successful in them for the past two years - without having a viable contingency plan (the example is purely hypothetical as he is unlikely to ride for Katusha next year).

I've always thought of Coquard as a bit overrated, but this is a joke.
Bernaudeau is clearly letting personal conflict influence his decision. As a DS, that means that he is not doing his job properly and therefore deserves to be fired. Harsh, I know, but so was he.

And then the fact that he cannot even admit to the real reason..... 'A sporting decision'..... Give me a break.

He wouldn't be the leader of the whole team obviously. But teams like Astana or AG2R don't have a real sprinter. If Coquard would join one of them, he would be pretty much guaranteed to ride all of the spring classics, finally doing Milano-Sanremo.
Concerning Grand Tours, it would be more problematic as both teams are pretty GC-orientated. Particularly at Astana there is not really any place for sprinters at both, Giro and Tour.

he is their best sprinter yet they leave him at home. This shenanigan has been going on for quite some time and obviously has affected his focus and hence the loss in form. Hopefully other than no participation in tdf there is no other retaliation like pay stoppage etc.
I think the UCI should have some rules on this type of harassment as there are in the corporate world. this type of coercion should be banned

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
toolittle said:
Top French teams are good for him.
As FDJ has Demare, AG2R seems to be a good destination.

AG2R has Bardet. They don't want a sprinter, not one for racing in France in July anyway.

Of course not for TDF. What is the outcome when Coquard flight head to head with top form Cavendish, Kittel, etc?
Coquard is great for Classics, Giro, Veulta and some smaller races.

I saw the news that Bardet, Latour, Naesan will be on board till 2020, AG2R is going to be a solid team.
If they could add sprinter such as Coquard and a strong TTer such as Alex Dowsett.
AG2R will be a Top one.

No Tour for le Coq but he'll have a nice consolation prize and the honor to lead France in the European Championships.

Provisional list
DEYaICVW0AALHgk.jpg

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
No Tour for le Coq but he'll have a nice consolation prize and the honor to lead France in the European Championships.

Provisional list
DEYaICVW0AALHgk.jpg
Glad to see Coquard has this great opportunity to lead the French team.

But now that Arnaud Demare is no longer racing at TDF, will he be added to the team?

Re:

Leinster said:
He isn’t a good enough sprinter to command a Tour start with a World Tour team.

He has a point that it’s a bit unfair to hand out the invitations before the first race of the season, but then at least Conti teams can plan their season better.

I'd give 8 teams the heads up that they're maybe going to the Tour and then have those teams and riders prove themselves through the year. I do feel for Coquard....

TRENDING THREADS