• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryan Coquard Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They invest some money in LeTour. Bouhanni won the Europe Tour in which Cofidis finished 2nd behind Wanty. They are the highest ranked PCT team in the cq teamranking. They have Bouhanni, Navarro and the Herrada's.

Coquard rides for a new PCT team...

Re:

staubsauger said:
Coquard has completely failed his contract negotiations since 2015. He's the only one to blame for not riding the Tour de France twice in a row, now.
That’s harsh, but neither unfair nor inaccurate.

I’m not sure he was completely fairly treated last year; other teams brought riders that they knew would move elsewhere for this season. But if he wanted to move, and ride the Tour, it needed to be to a WT team.

Re:

Breh said:
They invest some money in LeTour. Bouhanni won the Europe Tour in which Cofidis finished 2nd behind Wanty. They are the highest ranked PCT team in the cq teamranking. They have Bouhanni, Navarro and the Herrada's.

Coquard rides for a new PCT team...

I have no issue with Cofidis riding at the Vuelta as they are a sponsor and they've had some success in the race - Sadly the same can't be said at the TDF - And my post is not about Coquard's new team it's about how wildcard's are given to PCT teams.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
staubsauger said:
Coquard has completely failed his contract negotiations since 2015. He's the only one to blame for not riding the Tour de France twice in a row, now.

He won 6 sprints before the 2017 Tour. The only other rider they had that brought more value to the team was Lilian Calmejane. It wasn't his fault in 2017. This year, yes, he took a gamble joining a new team.
He could've signed with Lampre back in 2015 already, if I remember correctly. Now he either could've signed for Quick Step instead of Vivian for Giro leadership or could've prolonged with Bernadeau in time, to ride the 2017 and 2018 Tour. Instead he put pen to paper with a new team that was always unlikely to receive a wildcard for the Tour.

Jspear said:
Leinster said:
He isn’t a good enough sprinter to command a Tour start with a World Tour team.

He has a point that it’s a bit unfair to hand out the invitations before the first race of the season, but then at least Conti teams can plan their season better.

I'd give 8 teams the heads up that they're maybe going to the Tour and then have those teams and riders prove themselves through the year. I do feel for Coquard....

That would be a really smart way to do it. Then maybe for all the GTs like that and if the team does better in, let's say Italian races then French or Spanish they are more likely invited to Giro etc.

He will miss also Milan-San Remo. Another blow for Bryan. He have to focus on winning in every small race in which he will participate. And then in 2019 maybe he will have opportunity to compete in top races.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
He starts off his season in the Sharjah Tour, for God's sake. I understand that signing for FDJ or AG2R would also limit his chances, but he could and should have signed for a team able to provide him a better racing schedule.

Coquard has fallen into the trap suffered by a number of French riders - They ride for French teams either at WT or PCT for higher wages - He could have gone to a team like EF Education First where he would have been the number one sprinter.

Der Effe said:
He starts off his season in the Sharjah Tour, for God's sake. I understand that signing for FDJ or AG2R would also limit his chances, but he could and should have signed for a team able to provide him a better racing schedule.

French teams will pay him more than non French teams will pay a second tier sprinter with little in the way of important wins. There’s a limited number of French teams. FDJ and Ag2r are primarily GC focused and FDJ have Demare anyway. Of the two French PCT teams with a guaranteed pretty good schedule, he’s bickering with one and the other is paying Bouhanni big money.

He’d have to take a pay cut to go to a foreign team that (a) is interested in sprints but (b) isn’t already committed to another sprinter and (c) itself has a good calendar. There aren’t that many such teams particularly in the current era when fast men are very abundant.

Tonton said:
jaylew said:
Congrats on winning more French cup races, Bryan. The guy has no ambition.
C'mon man...it's not lie he doesn't want to. But again, when you sign with a small team, you should now that it's likely to happen. Too bad. I feel bad for him.
Well, he talked a big game about wanting to do more WT races and then he signs with a brand new Pro Conti :confused: I was looking forward to seeing him on a WT team.

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Amstel only annouced 5 of the 7 wildcards, so he could still get one.

Emphasis on "Could" as never know which organizers are gonna put full trust in inviting a new team with a star rider to *insert race here*

Wow, this thread is pretty moribund.

Cofidis are looking to sign Coquard for next year. They've been disappointed in Viviani because he hasn't been "the Viviani of Quickstep."

Hopefully for Bryan, that doesn't mean they expect him to be "the (imaginary) Coquard of Quickstep," or even "the Viviani of Quickstep", but they would presumably insist on an improvement from "the Coquard of B&B Hotels." It could be a good move for both parties; Coquard would finally be at a WT team, and Cofidis might be just the place to get some results out of him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow, this thread is pretty moribund.

Cofidis are looking to sign Coquard for next year. They've been disappointed in Viviani because he hasn't been "the Viviani of Quickstep."

Hopefully for Bryan, that doesn't mean they expect him to be "the (imaginary) Coquard of Quickstep," or even "the Viviani of Quickstep", but they would presumably insist on an improvement from "the Coquard of B&B Hotels." It could be a good move for both parties; Coquard would finally be at a WT team, and Cofidis might be just the place to get some results out of him.
I have nothing against Bryan, but is it worth throwing money at him when you already have Laporte and Consonni? Because I don't view him as clearly faster than those.
If Nizzolo was 2-3 years younger I'd throw some money at him, a fast guy who has been able to get results on different teams.
Coquard is a really good rider, bit he doesn't offer a lot of things that Laporte and Consonni can't provide.

I have nothing against Bryan, but is it worth throwing money at him when you already have Laporte and Consonni? Because I don't view him as clearly faster than those.
If Nizzolo was 2-3 years younger I'd throw some money at him, a fast guy who has been able to get results on different teams.
Coquard is a really good rider, bit he doesn't offer a lot of things that Laporte and Consonni can't provide.

If Laporte is going to Jumbo, then it makes sense to sign Coquard as a replacement, though Nizzolo would obviously be the better choice, if they have the money. A better mountain dom with good descending skills to help Martin should be a priority as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Laporte is going to Jumbo, then it makes sense to sign Coquard as a replacement, though Nizzolo would obviously be the better choice, if they have the money. A better mountain dom with good descending skills to help Martin should be a priority as well.
If Nizzolo is available, they should get him. He’ll cost a lot more than Coquard, though.

A good climber with better descending skills than Martin is someone that Martin would likely end up working for rather than vice versa.

Bryan has better (marginally) results the last 2 years than Laporte or Consonni. I think he could do at least as well as Viviani has, and won’t cost as much. I’d like to see him get a Tour ride with a team that could give him some support.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Thanks for the reply, I forgot that Laporte is apparently leaving. If he's leaving bringing in Coquard makes more sense.
They payed Viviani tons of money when they signed him, so getting Nizzolo wouldn't be a problem when it comes to money.

Would Nizzolo leave Qhubeka? He’s got good results for them, and finally got his Giro stage win. They’ll want to keep him, and he might not want to go to Cofidis, and he’s 32.

Coquard, on the other hand, would snap their hand off if offered a deal. And it might be a chance for him to ride a Giro or Vuelta, which he’s never done as he’s always been with Wild Card French teams.

TRENDING THREADS