• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Budget Leak: South Australian Govt to cut Tour Down Under in tommorows budget

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Teddler said:
So the budget has been released and as far as I can decipher nothing has changed in terms of the governments approach to the Pro Tour. In fact the document proudly claims that the event generated $41 million in revenue for the south australia.

Also someone mentioned that the herald sun tour has been moved back to October, I can't find any evidence of this and its definately not on this October, can anyone clarify?

It's not being raced this year because they originally had it scheduled for February. However, with February being out of the question, they moved it back to it's October time slot for next year. It was too late to organise it for this year.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
The TDU is great event for us South Australians and the thousands of visitors who come each year.

Mike Turtur has done a great job building it up over ten years.

If you dont like it, thats unfortunate, but I think its going to continue for few years more.

I understand you think its too easy and should have more climbs, but it is what it is, its not suppsoed to be a climbers event.

Iy you guys want a Pro Tour event in Bathurst or anywhere else for that matter, then you need to build up your own event to the point that it justifies Pro Tour status.

There is nothing stopping you spending the next ten years building up another event, getting your state governments to invest the money to attract the teams. Mike Turtur did this, why cant you guys?

regards

Hugh

The Tour Down Under doesn't help Australian cycling.

Turter snubbed the local teams when it was a 2.2 and 2.1 race and put the final nail in the coffin when he went protour.

All the Tour Down Under does is fills Turter's and South Australia's pockets. It doesn't factor in domestic cycling or riders or Australian cycling.

There are two main Tours in Australia. TDU and HST. The TDU never let the Australian teams compete when it was 2.2. The HST always let the Australian teams compete.

The Tour Down Under was developed selfishly and will hopefully not be protour anymore in the coming years. It doesn't deserve it.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
The TDU is great event for us South Australians and the thousands of visitors who come each year.

Mike Turtur has done a great job building it up over ten years.

If you dont like it, thats unfortunate, but I think its going to continue for few years more.

I understand you think its too easy and should have more climbs, but it is what it is, its not suppsoed to be a climbers event.

Iy you guys want a Pro Tour event in Bathurst or anywhere else for that matter, then you need to build up your own event to the point that it justifies Pro Tour status.

There is nothing stopping you spending the next ten years building up another event, getting your state governments to invest the money to attract the teams. Mike Turtur did this, why cant you guys?

regards

Hugh

Look at the States and who is in government. It will probably never happen. The power dealers need to be removed. If the TDU if being down scaled it is because of state government mismanagement in other areas. Something has to go and the less productive areas are cut first. Sadly this is often the entertainment and sporting areas. It isn't like funding to any football code will take a hit.

As has been floated, the smart idea would be to have all the major states pull together and set up a series of races across the states. With this new Pro Tour Aussie team stepping up to the plate, now would be a good time.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
In yesterdays paper (adelaide advertiser) it was said that through leaks that it was going to be cut but I can't find anything on it.

That report was from the budget savings commission which recommended it be cut not the actual budget nor treasurer.

The actual budget has been released and nothing has been reported in the press and I had a look at the budget document which doesn't mention cutting it at all.

Sasquatch where are you getting this information, the only thing that i can find available on the net indicates its still on in February.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised the UCI status of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour can be diminished by a change of season. Many races have shifted dates without being downgraded. I also have a vague memory (which I admit to not being sure about) that the Sun Tour was once regularly held in January. (1970s?)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Teddler said:
That report was from the budget savings commission which recommended it be cut not the actual budget nor treasurer.

The actual budget has been released and nothing has been reported in the press and I had a look at the budget document which doesn't mention cutting it at all.

Sasquatch where are you getting this information, the only thing that i can find available on the net indicates its still on in February.

It's irrelevant where I get the information but there's no Herald Sun Tour this October or next February.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
I'm surprised the UCI status of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour can be diminished by a change of season. Many races have shifted dates without being downgraded. I also have a vague memory (which I admit to not being sure about) that the Sun Tour was once regularly held in January. (1970s?)

Before my time. But I do know that Chris Suttons dad won it. Chris ws born in 1984 I believe. His dad might have won it in the early 80s perhaps earlier in the 70s. Someone older will know.

Mellow Velo said:
Sorry. I can see why you are confused.
Is Cali a PT event? No
Will it be, next season? Yes. Hence the comment.;)

So it's 100% that it will be Pro Tour next year? Not sure why I'd forgotten that. That race has been such a disappointment. Cali has some terrific terrain and the potential is there for a really exciting race if the organizers would show some balls. Utah put on a much better race in it's first year. If only they had the field Cali had...

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Before my time. But I do know that Chris Suttons dad won it. Chris ws born in 1984 I believe. His dad might have won it in the early 80s perhaps earlier in the 70s. Someone older will know.

IIRC the race started in 1952. Last year I met someone who raced in the very first edition and was still cycling. He won the World Championships in the "80+" class in Australia in 2003 (or sometime around then).

He'd be useful right now. ;)

Sasquatch said:
The Tour Down Under doesn't help Australian cycling.

Turter snubbed the local teams when it was a 2.2 and 2.1 race and put the final nail in the coffin when he went protour.

All the Tour Down Under does is fills Turter's and South Australia's pockets. It doesn't factor in domestic cycling or riders or Australian cycling.

There are two main Tours in Australia. TDU and HST. The TDU never let the Australian teams compete when it was 2.2. The HST always let the Australian teams compete.

The Tour Down Under was developed selfishly and will hopefully not be protour anymore in the coming years. It doesn't deserve it.

Michael Drapac:

"The Tour Down Under - I don't think it's in the best interest of the riders. There is nothing for the wellbeing of Australian based riders"

From New Cycling Pathways.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:

regards

Hugh

I would say two years before the Herald Sun Tour takes over Pro Tour Status from the SA TdU. That's just my opinion but probably a reality now that other states see value in having the event.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
I would say two years before the Herald Sun Tour takes over Pro Tour Status from the SA TdU. That's just my opinion but probably a reality now that other states see value in having the event.

Herald Sun Tour will never go pro-tour unless the rules are changed allowing our domestic teams to compete as wildcards. Hands won't wreck Australian cycling like Turter did.

TRENDING THREADS