• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

bustedcarbon.com

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that this website isn't new to anyone:

http://www.bustedcarbon.com

But is it just a random collection of anecdotal evidence that unscientifically suggests that there's a higher failure rate of carbon as compared to other materials, or do I start to seriously consider the safety of my carbon forks?

I don't suppose anyone has ever come across a study of frame/component material breakage rates?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well based on my history we need a cracked Aluminum, and cracked Ti site as well. Not to mention twisted Steel. I've never broken a carbon frame, but the previous YES!

Carbon Fails suddenly and catastrophically. All materials fail. Carbon forks often outlast and test stronger than steel forks under lab testing. For the record I ride Ti with a carbon fork. I think carbon is to fragile from a wear and tear perspective. I would not want to toss away a frame after a crash or keep it wondering of there is some invisible damage that will end a ride in a bad way one day in the future.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Black Dog said:
Carbon Fails suddenly and catastrophically. All materials fail. Carbon forks often outlast and test stronger than steel forks under lab testing. For the record I ride Ti with a carbon fork. I think carbon is to fragile from a wear and tear perspective. I would not want to toss away a frame after a crash or keep it wondering of there is some invisible damage that will end a ride in a bad way one day in the future.

That's the thing I guess. A bent fork, although a material failure, isn't the same thing as a carbon fork snapping with it's resulting instantaneous face plant.

Most of the "failures" on the site seem to be collisions and would've probably f'd up any frame. It's the unexplained fork failures that leave you scratching your head.

I do remember my old steel bikes being virtually indestructible. I've run into parked cars and road away with the front wheel just a little out of true (I was an easily distracted teenager).

bc_hills said:
That's the thing I guess. A bent fork, although a material failure, isn't the same thing as a carbon fork snapping with it's resulting instantaneous face plant.

Most of the "failures" on the site seem to be collisions and would've probably f'd up any frame. It's the unexplained fork failures that leave you scratching your head.

I do remember my old steel bikes being virtually indestructible. I've run into parked cars and road away with the front wheel just a little out of true (I was an easily distracted teenager).

There are very few unexplained or sudden carbon fork failures. You can rest assured that fork makers are very sensitive to potential lawsuits and as such over build their forks. Read this from way back in 2002:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2002...ical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-carbon-forks-2_3270

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
broken+carbon+fork.JPG

there might not be many but it only takes one faceplant to ruin your week/season/life

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Rip:30 said:
broken+carbon+fork.JPG

there might not be many but it only takes one faceplant to ruin your week/season/life

Yeah, you were "just riding along" when this happened, and would never have crashed had your fork not randomly broken.;)

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Black Dog said:
There are very few unexplained or sudden carbon fork failures. You can rest assured that fork makers are very sensitive to potential lawsuits and as such over build their forks. Read this from way back in 2002:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2002...ical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-carbon-forks-2_3270

That FAQ is interesting and reassuring in its own way. I have no doubt that carbon tests well and performs as they say it does in stress and load cycle tests. The only prob I have with those tests is how well they mimic real world stresses. I can't help but think of those displays in IKEA stores where a robotic arm opens and shuts a cabinet door ten of thousands of times without any failures. The catch is that each cycle is perfect. Perfect motion and movement... not at all what really happens.

Most of the respondents to the faq excluded abuse... and I guess abuse is whatever breaks the part? So a carbon fork won't break until you break it, but then that was abuse, otherwise, it wouldn't be broken.:D

I'm being a little facetious, but something's gotta explain the abundance of threads like this...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwi...n_Forum_F1/Wolf_fork_failure_(pics)_P1656284/

scroll down for the pics.

The bustedcarbon site is full of cyclocross fails. Maybe cyclocross is just straight abuse?

bc_hills said:
This guy was just riding along when his steel fork broke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe6KqdJndcU

Hmm, yeah it broke because a bicycle fork is not designed to withstand sudden pulling forces. AKA, 'intended use.' That holds true for carbon too.

The question most would like answered is which of the documented carbon failure cases were outside the industry's 'intended use' scenario and which were. It looks like many are roof rack meets garage incidences.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The one that got my attention was the Mavic (R-Sys I believe) wheel that disintegrated mid-crit on one of the editors over at VN. It appeared the spokes just "exploded"...

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have seen pleanty of broken steel tubes as well but the lighter we go with cutting edge tech the more chance of breakages. Carbon is getting better as is Ti.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
let me run my own statistical survey
almost every person I know has not had their Ti frame exchanged for a non-cracked Titanium frame. wow that was easy.

it maybe strong but is sure cracks easily
nonsense, this is just straight up flat-earth denial

bc_hills said:
That FAQ is interesting and reassuring in its own way. I have no doubt that carbon tests well and performs as they say it does in stress and load cycle tests. The only prob I have with those tests is how well they mimic real world stresses. I can't help but think of those displays in IKEA stores where a robotic arm opens and shuts a cabinet door ten of thousands of times without any failures. The catch is that each cycle is perfect. Perfect motion and movement... not at all what really happens.

Most of the respondents to the faq excluded abuse... and I guess abuse is whatever breaks the part? So a carbon fork won't break until you break it, but then that was abuse, otherwise, it wouldn't be broken.:D

I'm being a little facetious, but something's gotta explain the abundance of threads like this...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Wolf_fork_failure_(pics)_P1656284/

scroll down for the pics.

The bustedcarbon site is full of cyclocross fails. Maybe cyclocross is just straight abuse?

Do you want to bet that his stem was over tightened and or the plug was not installed properly.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zigster said:
let me run my own statistical survey
almost every person I know has not had their Ti frame exchanged for a non-cracked Titanium frame. wow that was easy.

it maybe strong but is sure cracks easily
nonsense, this is just straight up flat-earth denial

I take it the LiteSpeed customer support line still hasn't answered due to the barrage of exchanges its processing :D

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
are you telling me with a straight face you think Litespeeds have a comparable failure rate with, say Cervélo?

*****, please

carbon has a lot of advantages over titanium but durability is not one of them

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Zigster said:
are you telling me with a straight face you think Litespeeds have a comparable failure rate with, say Cervélo?

*****, please

carbon has a lot of advantages over titanium but durability is not one of them

litespeeds suck especially these days terrible warranty i know of a few sent back. my friend has had over 40 bikes steel carbon aluminum ti etc... lightspeed won worst frame ever award from him sad.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Carbon frames and forks do have a higher fail rate than steel/alu/ti. But it's much better now than it was 10 years ago, carbon is getting more reliable. I remember in the late 90's early 00 walking through a labyrinth of boxes full of warrantied, snapped and delaminated carbon forks at my workplace everyday. some stacks were overflowing, some were over 6ft high!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
A quick search is all I did and after reading just a few, let me see anyone with a straight face say its the best frame (aka Ti).
I am not saying titanium is the best frame material, especially given the price, but it is clearly much more durable than carbon fiber. Anyone who claims otherwise is smoking something.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yet the number of carbon fames increases if is not taking over all other materials? Makes you feel odd doesn't it.

Maybe we'll see some weekly TV news show do an in debt analysis on its failure rate and how the world should stop using it. Better yet call AirBus I hear their new planes are mostly carbon as well, guess many will never fly again due to its failure rates :D, looks like I will be getting a whole row to myself again on long flights.