• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CA v USP TTT 2001 Tour

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thor Hushovd just used the fact that CA was able to beat USP in the 2001 tour TTT to make a point about it being possible to achieve results while still being clean.

Anyone know how a supposedly clean (from the JV chat with franky) CA was able to beat a doped to the gills USP in that time trial?

Thor also said he had received plenty of laughs for joining CA during the years.

At the end he also took a shot at Steffen Kjaergaard by noting that "If I had been doped I would have hoped for better results [than steffen got], because his were pretty bad".

Link if anyone wants to google translate: http://www.procycling.no/article3499840.ece

razorth said:
Thor Hushovd just used the fact that CA was able to beat USP in the 2001 tour TTT to make a point about it being possible to achieve results while still being clean.

Anyone know how a supposedly clean (from the JV chat with franky) CA was able to beat a doped to the gills USP in that time trial?

Thor also said he had received plenty of laughs for joining CA during the years.

At the end he also took a shot at Steffen Kjaergaard by noting that "If I had been doped I would have hoped for better results [than steffen got], because his were pretty bad".

Link if anyone wants to google translate: http://www.procycling.no/article3499840.ece

Maybe list out the riders from each team?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
razorth said:

Hushovd is a petty little man. He took a shot at Sastre too when Cervelo Test Team folded. This about Kjærgaard was said as a joke, when he spoke of Sastre it was in anger.

He also says the same about Landis and Hamilton as McQuaid said, the witnesses are not heros, especially not Hamilton and Landis. He is a good supporter of omerta. I'd like to know if his leaving Garmin and was all about his love of money, or if his big Lance crush also had something to do with it. He'll never have a better Tour de France than the one he had with Garmin.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Vaughters said that doping was not a team program but went on iirc.

Jens Voight rode for CA so there was defintiely doping going on as Jörg Jaksch names Voight as being scared that the authorities would find the teams epo at a one tour.

CN lists the CA 2001 team as

Magnus Backstedt
Frédéric Bessy
Pierrick Fédrigo
Frédéric Finot
Fabrice Gougot
Sébastien Hinault
Thor Hushovd
Christopher Jenner
Bobby Julich
Anthony Langella
Ludovic Martin
Anthony Morin
Jérôme Neuville
Stuart O'Grady
Benoît Poilvet
Jonathan Vaughters
Jens Voigt

neineinei said:
Hushovd is a petty little man. He took a shot at Sastre too when Cervelo Test Team folded. This about Kjærgaard was said as a joke, when he spoke of Sastre it was in anger.

He also says the same about Landis and Hamilton as McQuaid said, the witnesses are not heros, especially not Hamilton and Landis. He is a good supporter of omerta. I'd like to know if his leaving Garmin and was all about his love of money, or if his big Lance crush also had something to do with it. He'll never have a better Tour de France than the one he had with Garmin.

What was the shot he took at Sastre and why?

Benotti69 said:
Vaughters said that doping was not a team program but went on iirc.

Jens Voight rode for CA so there was defintiely doping going on as Jörg Jaksch names Voight as being scared that the authorities would find the teams epo at a one tour.

CN lists the CA 2001 team as

Magnus Backstedt
Frédéric Bessy
Pierrick Fédrigo
Frédéric Finot
Fabrice Gougot
Sébastien Hinault
Thor Hushovd
Christopher Jenner
Bobby Julich
Anthony Langella
Ludovic Martin
Anthony Morin
Jérôme Neuville
Stuart O'Grady
Benoît Poilvet
Jonathan Vaughters
Jens Voigt

I meant who was on the TTT teams for USPS and CA.

That should tell you a lot.

USPS:
1 Lance Armstrong (USA)
2 Roberto Heras (Spa)
3 Viatjeslav Ekimov (Rus)
4 Tyler Hamilton (USA)
5 George Hincapie (USA)
6 Steffen Kjaergaard (Nor)
7 Victor Hugo Pena (Col)
8 Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa)
9 Christian Vandevelde (USA)

CA:
101 Bobby Julich (USA)
102 Frédéric Bessy (Fra)
103 Sebastien Hinault (Fra)
104 Thor Hushovd (Nor)
105 Christopher Jenner (Fra)
106 Anthony Morin (Fra)
107 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)
108 Jonathan Vaughters (USA)
109 Jens Voigt (Ger)

Roberto Heras and Vandevelde crashed, making USPS lose quite a chunk of time. CA also lost some time because of a flat by Julich.

CA showed that they were relatively good at TTT's through the Armstrong years. I think they absolutely benefited from from a cleaner field that year, due to the introduction of the EPO test.

MrRoboto said:
USPS:
1 Lance Armstrong (USA)
2 Roberto Heras (Spa)
3 Viatjeslav Ekimov (Rus)
4 Tyler Hamilton (USA)
5 George Hincapie (USA)
6 Steffen Kjaergaard (Nor)
7 Victor Hugo Pena (Col)
8 Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa)
9 Christian Vandevelde (USA)

CA:
101 Bobby Julich (USA)
102 Frédéric Bessy (Fra)
103 Sebastien Hinault (Fra)
104 Thor Hushovd (Nor)
105 Christopher Jenner (Fra)
106 Anthony Morin (Fra)
107 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)
108 Jonathan Vaughters (USA)
109 Jens Voigt (Ger)

Roberto Heras and Vandevelde crashed, making USPS lose quite a chunk of time. CA also lost some time because of a flat by Julich.

CA showed that they were relatively good at TTT's through the Armstrong years. I think they absolutely benefited from from a cleaner field that year, due to the introduction of the EPO test.

That’s what I was eluding to. It was raining. Super slippery. Teams were bring cautious and USPS had a massive crash. Team full of climbers.

I rest my case. Dope couldn’t gain an advantage in those conditions.

Almost a level-playing field!

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
That’s what I was eluding to. It was raining. Super slippery. Teams were bring cautious...

Much the same can be said about Armstrong's World Championship victory.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Turner29 said:
Much the same can be said about Armstrong's World Championship victory.

Boom.

Opportunistic victory in cold and glacial racing conditions, rather than a show of athletic superiority.

By the way how long was that TTT?

Probably before blood refill day.

It was possible to beat USPS on some days.
Take Tour de France 2005 stage where Weening beat Klöden. Except Armstrong everyone from USPS was dropped on an easy climb near the finish. Armstrong himself didn't look good either.

After rest day (blood refill) they were suddenly the best of the best again. Very much possible that in this TTT they weren't on the juice yet

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jens clean, he was on that team was not he, that year. puuhleese.

Thor clean puhleese, put him doen with Gilbert in terms of an undeserved reputation.

JV. Kept on the epo at CA, even tho he made out it was only a USPS thing and Ventoux record and he asked Legeay for advice when he said he would go to july with his crit boosted to get results for Roger and CA but Legeay told him it was not worth it.

JV, a million bucks that conversation never happened and you made it up.

Recently he admitted he was on it at CA.

The NZ rider. Dont know him.

Maggy. No way clean.

Who esle. Moreau. yeah right.

no way this squad were clean. I got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you tho

was julich on that cleam. mean, team. purer than a sewerage Booby J

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
only have to see the teams who finished on the podium of the TTT in the Armstrong years to see the teams took the plunger to a double barrelled hypodermic with an ampoule of epo with an insulin chaser.

ONCE. Tmobile high up, but rarely won.

Great rule of thumb schema to tell the REALLY dirty teams 1 thru 9.

Ofcourse, JV loves team timetrials.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
That’s what I was eluding to. It was raining. Super slippery. Teams were bring cautious and USPS had a massive crash. Team full of climbers.

I also remember reading (in a JV interview I think) that their manager had them training specifically for the TTT for a long time working on riding in formations etc (including renting out a motor race track) as they felt they could make a good show of it, and that they may not make a great show of the rest of the race.

I think the interview may have in part been about why Garmin focus' on TTTs so much.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:

Everything he said was true and not petty either. For once he's saying the right things about doping. Flandis and Hamilton are not heros. They doped, doped, doped, lied, lied, lied, then finally confessed. They should be forgiven and praised for finally telling the truth, but they're certainly not heros.

Seriously, if Hushovd is clean (which I think he is), why the hell would he consider Landis a hero, and why wouldn't he have a go at Kjærgaard?

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously think the latest interview by Hushovd is good on his part. http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10055224

Unlike e.g Arvesen he actually says he was/is clean(no weak non-denial) and is angry that he lost to dopers. This is in line with what real clean athletes should feel.

"The more that surfaces, the more I feel cheated as an athlete. My palmares would be much longer if everyone was clean like me."

Think he is really bitter that dopers obviously has stopped him from winning Paris-Roubaix.

About the admissions: "All have lied for years, and only comes forward because they are pressured and their feets are burning. None are heroes." He especially thinks about Kjærgaard and really smacks him.

Hushovd's problem is that he is an ego-inflated money hungry *****, not that he is a doper.

TRENDING THREADS