• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans: Officially a Champion!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
His favourite rider is Lance's wife, Kristin:D:D

Don’t be stupid, Kristin Armstrong is Lance in drag, that’s why he rarely rides world champs.

Oh, and I was cheering like a ******* when Vino attacked, I happen to like totally mental riders. I lost respect for Cuddles when after the national titles in SA he was lying in the back of a car yelling at a swanie to get sweat out of his eye, and I don’t like his dog or his car collection. However, I am very happy for him it was an excellent ride and a well-deserved victory no one can say that he doesn’t deserve it.

Happy Tosser?

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
I lost respect for Cuddles when after the national titles in SA he was lying in the back of a car yelling at a swanie to get sweat out of his eye, and I don’t like his dog or his car collection.
Happy Tosser?

Yes, all reasonable grounds not to like a guy. So what make and model car do you drive and which breed of dog do you own? Let me know and I'll pass judgement on whether you are a tosser or otherwise.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Don’t be stupid, Kristin Armstrong is Lance in drag, that’s why he rarely rides world champs.

Oh, and I was cheering like a ******* when Vino attacked, I happen to like totally mental riders. I lost respect for Cuddles when after the national titles in SA he was lying in the back of a car yelling at a swanie to get sweat out of his eye, and I don’t like his dog or his car collection. However, I am very happy for him it was an excellent ride and a well-deserved victory no one can say that he doesn’t deserve it.

Happy Tosser?
Yes I am a happy tosser!
Don't give a sh&& if you don't like him;
So did you wipe the sweat out of his eyes??:eek:

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
Yes, all reasonable grounds not to like a guy. So what make and model car do you drive and which breed of dog do you own? Let me know and I'll pass judgement on whether you are a tosser or otherwise.

Border Collie and Toyota Corolla, judge away.

My point about the Nationals was that Cadel was a guy that I idolised growing up, to see him *****ing and yelling about sweat burning his eyes after a race kinda changed my opinion.

Now you guys can continue to base your opinions on the fact that he shares the same coloured passport as you but...........:rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Border Collie and Toyota Corolla, judge away.

My point about the Nationals was that Cadel was a guy that I idolised growing up, to see him *****ing and yelling about sweat burning his eyes after a race kinda changed my opinion.

Now you guys can continue to base your opinions on the fact that he shares the same coloured passport as you but...........:rolleyes:

Coimcidence or not? I have the same breed of pet and same make of car. Still don't see your point about cadel?

Congratulations to Cadel. A good ride. Obviously good form to actually be there, but also good timing for a confirmed tester, a man with no jump, to be able to get away from the group.

Shame that Cance wouldn't do it, but I'm happy that another tester did!

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Cadel Evans, what a character! Always reminds me of Dirk Bogarde (British actor, 1921-1999). But it was a fabulous, crafty and inspiring finish yesterday.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Great ride and an awesome win - he really deserved to get that after a difficult year - and now have a year-long lasting impression when he pulls that jersey on !!

Now can someone please help him on his public speaking and general behavior in public, please? No more ninja tricks with head butts and quick slaps at the camera crews !!

Grow up and trust me, there will be cases where someone is going to touch you.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I checked the video last night and apart from the meaning of Cadel's achievement, I must say that I was enormously annoyed by his childish-almost idiotic behavior on the podium...
WTF is wrong with him?

For a man who says he doesn't care what the press writes about him, he sure spends a lot of time obsessing over it.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ridley said:
Now can someone please help him on his public speaking and general behavior in public, please? No more ninja tricks with head butts and quick slaps at the camera crews !!

Grow up and trust me, there will be cases where someone is going to touch you.

i think we expect too much of these guys.......to be the best motor on the world on a given day, flog themselves to the brink of consciousness and then be a reasonable, sane, articulate human being ? :D

thats crazy talk. he's just a farking cyclist.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I checked the video last night and apart from the meaning of Cadel's achievement, I must say that I was enormously annoyed by his childish-almost idiotic behavior on the podium...
WTF is wrong with him?

Perhaps you meant Pat McQuaid?

The Falcon said:
i think we expect too much of these guys.......to be the best motor on the world on a given day, flog themselves to the brink of consciousness and then be a reasonable, sane, articulate human being ? :D

thats crazy talk. he's just a farking cyclist.

He just violates people's idea of a champion. You're not the winner unless you're that extrovert in front of the cameras "celebrating in style". In people's minds a sports star has to be a ruthless winner and a marketable product, Evans isn't that person which is why he cops a lot of criticism. You don't see F1 drivers blowing kisses.

Federer always cops criticism whenever he loses a final for having a cry afterwards, people simply can't tolerate those who violate the conventions the collective have come to recognise.

In the case of Evans he violates both the winning and losing conventions most of the time :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
He just violates people's idea of a champion. You're not the winner unless you're that extrovert in front of the cameras "celebrating in style". In people's minds a sports star has to be a ruthless winner and a marketable product, Evans isn't that person which is why he cops a lot of criticism. You don't see F1 drivers blowing kisses.

Federer always cops criticism whenever he loses a final for having a cry afterwards, people simply can't tolerate those who violate the conventions the collective have come to recognise.

In the case of Evans he violates both the winning and losing conventions most of the time :p
Federer doesn't have a right to cry as he has won so much. evans has had a tough year so he would probably be a bit emotional. I was even a little emotional(no tears;)).
What's wrong with blowing kisses to your wife in the crowd once you have won?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been told that erik Zabel commented about CE the other day on the Cycling central blog. Not sure it is actually him as most people use false names but if it is him this is what he had to say.

Was für ein Schock. Ich dachte immer, die Deutschen waren die stärksten Sportler! Das Grüne Trikot ist immer noch von mir, sondern Cadel Evans ist jetzt der Regenbogen-Champion... Cadel, you are single-mindedly focussed, you are a stickler for detail, and you have no absolutely sense of humor - this is why Germany loves you!

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

I disagree. Look at Armstrong. He is the epitome of "a ruthless winner and a marketable product", and nobody likes him.

I think what most people like to see in these situation is what the athlete is truly feeling, not some studied lines made up by the pr-people, not some act that they believe will please the crowd. The ceremony is supposed to honor the athlete, and he can blow kisses to his wife if he wants to.

Cadel Evans seemed to be sobbing through the whole thing, and nothing is wrong with that. It showed that it ment something to him. Didn't violate my idea of a champion at all!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
as a TT champ, maybe i could handle that. But RR world champ Im gonna have to take a few days of work and come to terms with this.

he's a cyclist, not a role model, you don't have to like him. it does show what he can do with a good team though, it leaves him some energy to attack instead of just hanging on. I don't know why he cops so much flack for 'sucking wheels', do you really think that he'd prefer to do this than to win every stage he rides in?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

What a load of Charlie Carp.
:cool: