• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans: Yay or Nay on EPO

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2019
Visit site
I read about that when it happened. I’ll try to find a link.

I think it may come from a finish line quote from Evans - it's in the Cyclingnews report for the stage (https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2008/stage-17/results/):

Evans lost 2'15 minutes on Sastre in L'Alpe d'Huez, finishing seventh. But the Australian played it cool, hoping to make up the gap again in the race's last time trial: "To be honest, I think it was not a time loss," he said in the finish. He started chasing Sastre and leading out the group by himself when the Spaniard's gap grew over two minutes. "There was no support, they all sat on. It was a headwind and the headwind probably worked in my advantage yesterday, but today they could obviously sit on the wheel and recover."

The bikeraceinfo website helpfully says the conditions were "a 10 km/hr breeze from the southeast", if you have any idea how to interpret that.

Reactions: Cookster15
I think it may come from a finish line quote from Evans - it's in the Cyclingnews report for the stage (https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2008/stage-17/results/):

Evans lost 2'15 minutes on Sastre in L'Alpe d'Huez, finishing seventh. But the Australian played it cool, hoping to make up the gap again in the race's last time trial: "To be honest, I think it was not a time loss," he said in the finish. He started chasing Sastre and leading out the group by himself when the Spaniard's gap grew over two minutes. "There was no support, they all sat on. It was a headwind and the headwind probably worked in my advantage yesterday, but today they could obviously sit on the wheel and recover."

The bikeraceinfo website helpfully says the conditions were "a 10 km/hr breeze from the southeast", if you have any idea how to interpret that.
Thanks!

alpe-dhuez.png

While there may have been a headwind on some short sections, it doesn't sound like a headwind for the overall direction of the climb.

Cheers. I knew I heard it somewhere and I filed it away in 2008 but couldn't find the evidence to back that up. As Netserk points out the Alpe zig zags in an overall northeast direction. So overall more headwind but on some sections it would be a tailwind. And 10km/h isn't a strong breeze.

Apr 29, 2019
Visit site
Cheers. I knew I heard it somewhere and I filed it away in 2008 but couldn't find the evidence to back that up. As Netserk points out the Alpe zig zags in an overall northeast direction. So overall more headwind but on some sections it would be a tailwind. And 10km/h isn't a strong breeze.
In fairness, the weather info is probably based on a regional forecast and the wind in the hills can run counter depending on the geography. I couldn't find much else to back up Evans' statement, though.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
easy answer for me. was with the top guys during the late 2000's and won the tour at 2011, so yay on epo. im mean he reminded me a bit on Ulrich, good time trial diesel in the mountains, these mixe gives me always a feeling of a "clean" rider. But get it straigth, i dont expect that a top 20 gc rider was really clean at this time, not even today but this is another topic. i read somwhere here that the 2011 Alpe d'Huez time was slow compared to 2001, but the 2011 Stage was raced harder with the contador attack at the telegraph as the controlled blue USP train 2001, and even when the stage 2011 was a shorter one.
Ok im biased because for me no tour winner was clean since i watching the tour, maybe influenced because i started watching cycling in the mid 90's, and as a young and naive child i belived they were clean and lost every trust in clean cycling in the mid 00' when a lot about epo came out and i was old enough to understand it.
BTW sorry for the bad english, im not an native english speaker and out of practice.

I think he was on epo when he won his tour, but I'm sure there is no proof of it.
I thin he wanst on EPO when he won the Tour as the most of cyclist on that year. He was always clean. But he coudnt win the Tour on his BEST years becouse the extended use of EPO those years. He won It when he wanst so good, but good enough to win le Tour, to be World Champion, he would have got one of the best palmares on history in another era...Maybe no with the names we have today, but yes at his era. No Merckx one, no Hinault...but close to this last in palmares IMO. I didnt like him too much, but he has a big merit

Reactions: Cookster15

TRENDING THREADS