• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel riding the Tour Down Under?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Will Cadel be at the 2010 TDU - he skipped it in 2009:(

Give him a chance to show off the WC Jersey to the homies!

The TDU is on Lance's TdF prep plan again for 2010?

racecourse-1.jpg

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
It's up to SIL, as of yet he hasn't been given the OK. He would like to do it. Not to win just to show the rainbow jersey off, way to early in the season to be a serious threat.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
It's his only opportunity to show his rainbow jersey at a race in his home country so I don't see SIL denying him that if he wants to do it.
What SIL want and what he wants can be at opposite ends of the planet sometimes.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
They had no problem with him riding it in 2006.
This isn't 2006, SIL are trying to control more of his racing/schedule now and in 2009/2010 him being in OZ at the end of January wasn't in SIL's original plans.
I Cadel will be paid $1,000,000 to show up?
LMFAO, His name isn't LA,TDU don't like parting with their profits too quickly.:D

Tugboat said:
It's his only opportunity to show his rainbow jersey at a race in his home country so I don't see SIL denying him that if he wants to do it.

Lets not forget the worlds are in melbourne australia next year...great oppertunity to show australian fans the world champions jersey..

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
According toSBS yes from Cadel.

If it wasn't on the SBS cycling central website then it isn't true. For the record I have not seen any such article on the cycling central website (I check regularly and don't remember anything of the sort). He isn't racing, unless his team say so. They won't make him go. PR and advertising the WC jersey are the only reason for him to race. Typical of Cadel, expect aussie support but miss the bigest aussie race. But then why should he race? Flat stages and some puny hills. Please!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
??? Cadel isn't allowed to wear the rainbow jersey at the worlds though... and what are the chances of an Aussie winning it two years in a row?

If they can figure out on how to beat Cavendish, then I would say they probably have a good as chance as anybody.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If they can figure out on how to beat Cavendish, then I would say they probably have a good as chance as anybody.

Haussler racing for his native country on home soil. Only chance an aussie has to win the mens WC road race next year in Geelong. As for the gubberment comment, yes the gooses in SA used taxpayer funds to entice his eminence to show up and race before his mandatory six months of testing. But thats corruption for you, one need only look at the states governed by the Labor party in Australia, they are headed by morons and incompetent buffoons.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
If it wasn't on the SBS cycling central website then it isn't true. For the record I have not seen any such article on the cycling central website (I check regularly and don't remember anything of the sort). He isn't racing, unless his team say so. They won't make him go. PR and advertising the WC jersey are the only reason for him to race. Typical of Cadel, expect aussie support but miss the bigest aussie race. But then why should he race? Flat stages and some puny hills. Please!
Firstly, Cadel doesn't expect anything from anyone; he appreciates greatly the support he gets from Australians in Australia and abroad; but he doesn't owe anything to anyone. You obviously do not know him very well; he goes about his business very quietly and supports alot of Australian charities without wanting his name in lights.

SIL have total control of what he does in cycling, what he wears, what he drinks, which events he does or doesn't do; they have the final say on everything.

The "If its not on cycling central" theory is a load of crap; they know what they are told, if you want to know what Cadel is doing follow his twitter or his website, not on there then it most probably isn't happening.

The reason Cadel hasn't ridden the TDU in recent years is because it does not fit into his training schedule which has and will continue to be based on a little race in July; yep the race parcours doesn't suit him but even if it did, it is way to early in the season for him to be a serious contender.

He has 2 options on for late in January one is TDU and the other is not(not in OZ). :cool:

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Firstly, Cadel doesn't expect anything from anyone; he appreciates greatly the support he gets from Australians in Australia and abroad; but he doesn't owe anything to anyone. You obviously do not know him very well; he goes about his business very quietly and supports alot of Australian charities without wanting his name in lights.

You know him? I am glad I don't. He'd have had his ar$e kicked by now if he hung around me given his childish antics. I could do without the police charges. At the very least he'd have been told to grow up and stop being such a whiney b!tch. If he does support charities out of his own goodwill, then why advertise it? Or is that another fanboy justification? Not meaning any disrespect here but why is it that we have to hear about how saintly public figures are? What they do with their private time is of no concern to me or anyone else not interacting in that persons personal sphere of contact.

Perhaps you've forgotten the remarks about the lack of support and grievances with road users in Australia Cadel has made. He does expect support and has been rather vocal when critiqued...don't be fooled by him on this. He knows he's the no.1 aussie cyclists and expects a certain level of treatment...especially by the press. How much in taxes does Cadel pay? Or Gerrans or O'Grady for that matter? They fail that test in terms of contribution to Australian society as they all pay none. The closest thing they have in common to the normal aussie, you know who (the battlers), is they were born on Australian soil. You share the interest in cycling. Most Australians do not.

SIL have total control of what he does in cycling, what he wears, what he drinks, which events he does or doesn't do; they have the final say on everything.

Arg ha. I know more than you, or maybe my memory is better. Remember the Giro. "Cadel Evans will be racing the Giro" said the Silence honchos. Cadel said he wouldn't and hadn't been asked. He didn't race. Cadel is not a puppet.That is why I said it is PR thing if he races the TDU. There is no benefit rider of Cadels calibre to be wasting his efforts in the middle of the Australian summer in and around Adelaide.

The "If its not on cycling central" theory is a load of crap; they know what they are told, if you want to know what Cadel is doing follow his twitter or his website, not on there then it most probably isn't happening.

It isn't a load of crap. The link was to SBS World News. Not the same site! Not run by the same staff @ SBS. Separate departments.

Dude I check out that site and comment regularly. They are mostly full of it, copying this site and Velo news...especially the editorials/opinion articles. When an aussie event/rider gives details they are usually the first to publish details online, and cyclingnews then replicates their piece. SBS don't print comments that highlight certain issues with cycling, ie; you sing a realistic tune the non cycling world hasn't yet picked up on. Tomalaris is a gibbering idiot, anyone who watched the Tour in Australia knows this already. So where is the article on cycling central? It isn't a theory...as I've shown my memory is working better than yours in context with Cadel, so good luck providing the link to the main SBS cycling central site detailing as much if you want to prove me wrong. I've checked both Cadel's personal site and his twitter recently. No mention. Cadel will announce his road plan next month, just like last year. All talk of the TDU until then is premature. Much like the fate of Astana.

The reason Cadel hasn't ridden the TDU in recent years is because it does not fit into his training schedule which has and will continue to be based on a little race in July; yep the race parcours doesn't suit him but even if it did, it is way to early in the season for him to be a serious contender.

He has 2 options on for late in January one is TDU and the other is not(not in OZ). :cool:

Agree on most of it. That's why my initial point was that if he does race the TDU it will all be advertising for the WC jersey and that alone. I don't buy the line about not fitting in with his program...he just doesn't care and couldn't be bothered to say so. *** attitude at work. Comes back to him expecting support from aussies, who would give more than they are, if he were honest about the real reason for not doing the TDU. The truth is not an option. 6 days in Adelaide on that course does nothing for him. But it would not hurt to race it, considering it is no worse than training. Peaking for the TDU...please, Cadel could win it if he really wanted, regardless of latter season goals. Unless the 'program' doesn't permit peaking that early...wink, wink. Cadel knows this and doesn't race for one reason...he doesn't give a toss about the aussie event. He'd earn a lot more respect if he were honest about it. But then again most people probably think he is bright...he isn't. He's average in that department but smarter than the average pro.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You know him? I am glad I don't.
Exactly, you don't know him!
If he does support charities out of his own goodwill, then why advertise it? Or is that another fanboy justification? Not meaning any disrespect here but why is it that we have to hear about how saintly public figures are?
You don't hear him mention it... did you read what I wrote?

What they do with their private time is of no concern to me or anyone else not interacting in that persons personal sphere of contact. He does expect support and has been rather vocal when critiqued...don't be fooled by him on this. He knows he's the no.1 aussie cyclists and expects a certain level of treatment...especially by the press.
The press and 90% of the public didn't want to know who he was before the Worlds. He doesn't have a private life because of the press, but he knows that is part and parcel of the job he has chosen.
How much in taxes does Cadel pay? Or Gerrans or O'Grady for that matter? They fail that test in terms of contribution to Australian society as they all pay none.
He pays taxes every year in Australia, how much do you pay? What do you declare on your tax return?

The closest thing they have in common to the normal aussie, you know who (the battlers), is they were born on Australian soil. You share the interest in cycling. Most Australians do not.
What a load of S&%T... i think i'm going to throw up, you should go for that writers vacancy at Mills and Burns.

Arg ha. I know more than you, or maybe my memory is better.Remember the Giro. "Cadel Evans will be racing the Giro" said the Silence honchos. Cadel said he wouldn't and hadn't been asked. He didn't race. Cadel is not a puppet.
Little do you know. SIL also said they couldn't get in touch with him in the Aussie summer too, they had his whole program, as did the drug testing agency who had no trouble finding out where he was. Not a puppet, what do you know for fact, anything? The Press is also there puppet, and they will keep pulling the strings that will get their sponsors seen.
It isn't a load of crap. The link was to SBS World News. Not the same site! Not run by the same staff @ SBS. Separate departments.

Dude I check out that site and comment regularly. They are mostly full of it, copying this site and Velo news.. So where is the article on cycling central?It isn't a theory...as I've shown my memory is working better than yours in context with Cadel, so good luck providing the link to the main SBS cycling central site detailing as much if you want to prove me wrong.
I was talking about Cadel's website for the facts, not anyone elses.

I've checked both Cadel's personal site and his twitter recently. No mention. Cadel will announce his road plan next month, just like last year.
Oh, he has told you this has he? Was it on the phone or email? Or is that another made up assumption?

That's why my initial point was that if he does race the TDU it will all be advertising for the WC jersey and that alone. I don't buy the line about not fitting in with his program...he just doesn't care and couldn't be bothered to say so. *** attitude at work. Comes back to him expecting support from aussies, who would give more than they are, if he were honest about the real reason for not doing the TDU. The truth is not an option.
The only reason Cadel would go to TDU is to pay respect to the fans, nothing else.
Cadel could win it if he really wanted, regardless of latter season goals. Unless the 'program' doesn't permit peaking that early...wink, wink.
Got something in your eye, remove your head from your anus will help that.
Cadel knows this and doesn't race for one reason...he doesn't give a toss about the aussie event. He'd earn a lot more respect if he were honest about it. But then again most people probably think he is bright...he isn't. He's average in that department but smarter than the average pro.
See you next Thursday, Dr Phil!!;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/6126/Evans-eyes-return-to-Tour-Down-Under
I will highlight some interesting quotes from evans:
"I'd say it's highly possible" referring to tdu

"I'm just waiting. By the start of november, I would have everything confirmed.

There's a chance I might concentrate my time on the first half of the season and comeback for the worlds

I think he's waiting to see Giro route to consider ALL options. The tour route isn't the best for him but luckily no ttt.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Exactly, you don't know him!

You don't hear him mention it... did you read what I wrote?

You really have gotten worked up because I challenged your idea of the great Cadel. Yes I did read what you wrote, which is why I challenged it. Do you know Cadel? Reply with the answer not a generalisation of whom you think Cadel knows, ie; not whether you think I know him but whether you do.

"Not wanting his name in lights". Nice work by you. My point was to highlight and with some observation on your part (something you are unwilling to give at this stage) that the mention of his charitable duties are mentioned by people such as yourself. If Cadel doesn't want that mentioned then why go on about it? Oh, its about your ego not his...see Dr Phil could have told you that. Nothing more than what I said...fanboy justification of a personified hero.

The press and 90% of the public didn't want to know who he was before the Worlds. He doesn't have a private life because of the press, but he knows that is part and parcel of the job he has chosen.

Nice try dumbo. If the public, majority here your 90% figure, didn't want to know who Cadel was before the worlds then why is it that he doesn't have a private life? Are you suggesting that since the Worlds (September...so less than a month) that Cadels life is no longer private? Or has it not been private for some time? An odd suggestion if the later, given that if 90% didn't care less then there would be little demand for information and the press for the most part would leave him alone. Not the percentage you used...lack of demand means a waste of resources. When Cadels mug is splashed all over the gossip tabloids then it will be fare to say he has no private life. Are you always this prone to exaggeration? Perhaps you mean no private life from the doping inspectors? Sorry but as you said, "part and parcel of the job." Cadel is lucky Contador is winning, because when the press ask one or two questions when he is winning he looses it and slaps them, headbutts them or threatens to cut off their head. Classy role model there. For the record, that type of behaviour is unAustralian.

He pays taxes every year in Australia, how much do you pay? What do you declare on your tax return?

Accounting degree speaking. What do you know about the history of accounting and in particular, taxation? Cadel lives in Switzerland for the majority of the year. Why is it that a large portion of very rich French citizens were uprooting and moving to Switzerland? High tax rates of 60% for those earning a lot of money. Why is it that many affluent sports stars live there? Cadel lives in Australia for a month, maybe two at most. His residency is Europe, thus you would know that is his where he pays taxes (but your quick to type and slow to think...right?). Revenue or earnings in Australia will be taxable in Australia. Citizenship is a non issue, it is the location and activity behind earnings that are important. So Cadel will only pay taxes in Australia on interest in bank accounts, capital investments and earnings on share. Silence pay his income. Belgian company. Switzerland only taxes on revenue earnt in Switzerland, regardless of whether you live there for the entire year, which he does (Australia does not). The fact a Belgian company pay his income and that he rarely races in Switzerland (winnings) means he pays literally close to no taxes at all. It is why Michael Schumacher live(d)s there. Great public transport and great training roads are just a bonus. Why do you think sports stars flock to Monaco? No taxes. Look it up because its unlikely you'll believe me.

What a load of S&%T... i think i'm going to throw up, you should go for that writers vacancy at Mills and Burns.

Next you'll be telling me pro footballers in the EPL have common roots and are just like the people they grew up with in their youth. They were, past tense, now they are different. Attitude, social circles and treatment by the general public. It's called projection, fans find common links to sports stars to help identify with them. It's why Dutch go nuts for Dutch stars, aussies for ausses, etc. Some stars exploit this and even consciously feed a misconception to gain approval and favour.

Take Harry Kewell for example and various aussie actors. Some sports stars/actors/musicians remain true to their roots. This isn't hard to believe and is not "a load of S&%T." Some like Kewell no longer sounds Australian, or acts like it. He keeps the links to home for publicity and to spruik the socceroo image. Cadel does the same. He sounds English. A lot of actors sound American. If Cadel has so much in common with the standard aussie why is he soo different to the general public? Cadel is a loner. Most true cycling fans are aware of this. His upbringing has all the classic markers of an alternative way of living, hence his nature and behaviour, so he does have very little in common with the standard aussie (the 90% you admitted ignored him). Care to change your tune and stick with a theme that is consistent?

Little do you know. SIL also said they couldn't get in touch with him in the Aussie summer too, they had his whole program, as did the drug testing agency who had no trouble finding out where he was. Not a puppet, what do you know for fact, anything? The Press is also there puppet, and they will keep pulling the strings that will get their sponsors seen.
I was talking about Cadel's website for the facts, not anyone elses.

If you've read aussiecyclefan94's post then you'd be aware that SBS cyclingcentral website posted news about Cadel 'possibly' racing the TDU. Maybe your one of the SBS lackeys. Not Tomalaris are you? If you are, how is the arm? Did it hurt when Cadel hit you? Now your first sentence is not terribly bright. You say Silence Lotto had trouble contacting Cadel and "couldn't get in touch with him in the Aussie summer" but contradict that by then stating the drug testers had no trouble finding him. I sense a recurring theme here in your writing. Sorry, correction, your thinking. What do I know for fact? Oh, right now, I know that you have made a gibbering mess of yourself. Contradictory statements flying everywhere! Its kind of funny. "The Press is also there puppet" I think you meant to type "their". Look up the meanings. The press eat from nobody's hand, least of all in the cycling world from Silence Lotto. Publishing bodies exercise the right to publish and broadcast what they deem suitable. This is why the rhetoric from pro teams in press releases is more or less the same language.

Oh, he has told you this has he? Was it on the phone or email? Or is that another made up assumption?

Back to the Giro, you are wrong. Silence have a habit of not talking to Cadel and vice versa. Remember my reference to him being a loner. He has communication deficiencies. No shame there, many do and it is a product of upbringing and little media training. Silence were well aware that Cadel had announced his program for 2009 in November 2009. I stated this and said it would be the same this year. Surprise, suprise Cadel is saying the same thing I said, that he'd announce his plans for next year at the start of November after consulting his team (contrary to your above contradiction). Not a bad prediction, ahem, assumption. A day early. Do you believe in coincidences? I don't, they are rare occurances, myht and legends depicted in motion pictures. Cadel is predictable, most people are. I'm guessing you don't read people very well. I am very good at it. As I have demonstrated, I know more than you do. Or perhaps I just pay more attention and am not shocked when what is more than obvious to the ardent analyser, occurs. How you must loath never picking the villains in crime shows.

Check it out, third paragraph. As I said, SBS are unoriginal. Back to the coincidence theory. How much do you bet that they didn't read this thread and spill this article? Truth be told, one of their writers probably posted on this very thread. As I said, this wasn't unexpected, it was a given.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/6126/Evans-eyes-return-to-Tour-Down-Under

The only reason Cadel would go to TDU is to pay respect to the fans, nothing else. Got something in your eye, remove your head from your anus will help that. See you next Thursday, Dr Phil!!;)

Look forward to it. You can get another spanking in the mental department next week. Agree with Cadel racing at the TDU for the fans, but you do not acknowledge that the main reason for Cadel to race is self interest. He can win it if he tries. Heck Alan Davis won it, Cadel would have no trouble. Look at the logic, Cadel just doesn't care and the convenient excuse is "my program doesn't permit it." Rubbish, especially for a rider who we here all the time is the best in Australia. He could win any time he wants, he just doesn't want to turn up and fair enough, he's entitled to, but I for one am not buying his reasoning/excuse.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Galic Ho said:
Perhaps you've forgotten the remarks about the lack of support and grievances with road users in Australia Cadel has made. .
\
Complaining about Aussie road users is an important thing that more people need to do.

And now SBS aren't the only news media that thinks he's likely to race the TdU.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
The Daily Telegraph said the same more or less. Same parent company. News Limited and Fairfax media run all the Australian newspapers. No shock there berty.

TRENDING THREADS