• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel riding the Tour Down Under?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
FSN showed an interview with Evans.

Interesting bits:

-Bit his lip re: team... Basically said that their TTT was unacceptable but said no more.
-Was appreciative of the support for cycling in Australia (rather than demanding support).
-Thinks he's a better chance of winning his first TdF than Lance is an 8th.
-Absolute focus on TdF (so he's not going all out for a Giro or Vuelta).
-TdU and 2010 WC are both in Australia at opposite ends of the season, basically said it was difficult for him to do both and therefore his chances of doing the TdU aren't that great.

Is there a link to that, or did you see it on TV? I looked at FS website, but cant find it...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
That would be nice. A proper ITT. When Wilunga is mentioned frequently (which it is) and is the only hill mentioned, that is akin to raving. You may disagree, which is fine by me. As for Berty, well, you didn't answer all my points, but I don't expect you too. I think you're mostly pee'd off because you state Wilunga as your location and I pointed out that is nothing special.

No, absolute peaking doesn't happen soo often. But read my point. General fitness is very high. How else did Cav get soo many wins over the entire season? The theory is he cannot peak all season, right? There are periods of the year when cyclists take it easier but the top guys are always almost race ready (sure maybe not Tour/Vuelta/Giro winner ready) but capable of being competitive. Most of the excuses (thats what they are) are explained by basic psychology. My point about the attraction and numbers (you opened the door Berty so I used it) are that getting cycling fans to turn up to an event is not really an achievement. Getting non-cycling fans to embrace the sport is something to rave about. Yes the LA effect will do this, but in two years he will be gone. Then its back to the tragics and diehard fans that a sport is built upon, the grassroots level. You want the sport to grow in Australia. Change the race, put in a ITT, or some real hills, get Cadel to race (he won't unless you throw money at him for mentioned already covered by numerous posters) and some other big names. LA turning up for a Saturday arvo ride is not the answer.

To Berty, about the Valverde bit and finishing mid pack, the point was for you to infer that if you can get in the top 10, you can win if you really try or get a placing. Wiggo did it two weeks back in the herald tour after pulling all week for his teammate. Cadel potentially could, especially if the other riders aren't in "peak form." Also, I mentioned his team...if they win/place in the sprints and mitigate time, hey presto, good for the bluff.

Yes, the TDU helps Australian cycling, but mostly only for those in cycling circles and the Adelaide economy. Most of the economic benefit is a blip on the real SA gov budget. Cadel divides people. You of all people should be aware of this given the numerous times you've defended him on this forum. He isnt' the most likable rider, which is important but not essential, but the telling sign is the lack of people outside of the cycling fans who give a stuff. He ain't LA and the fact there are people who dislike him or partially rebuke his behaviour at times backs up what I said. I personally like the way he's ridden this year. It was positive and a good direction for next year. Hopefully he can win a GT.

To 53x11, use a spreadsheet next time instead of paintshop. Then the 20 minutes, won't have been wasted. You'll have learnt to use a productive piece of software and won't have to resort to posting diagrams resembling those drawn by autistic children.

Wonderlance, nice joke. Sorry but the answer is a resounding NO.

Cadel definetly ain't LA. In the cycling community LA divdes people as well as not many like him. More would prefer cadel over lance on any cycling forum. LA is not liked. On Cycling forums he is scum

I agree that the TDU and Mike Tutur needs to make the race more intersting.

Saying were someone lives nothing special is a bit mean. We all can't afford fancy homes.

I doubt it's about the money for a cyclist like cadel. he gets bucket loads. It's due to that he will be racing in January and then be still racing the worlds, in late september. A long season.

just because some don't like cadel on this forum doesn't mean he's not liked. He's actually very popular. Talk to others like I have who follow the sport in general and you will find he is liked and that is not just from australian's.

Cadel just landed in Aus yesterday and their was an interview with him on morning tv show called 'Today'. here's the link to the interview

Cadel Evans Interview On the side panel you will have to click the 2nd video on the playlist

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
That would be nice. A proper ITT. When Wilunga is mentioned frequently (which it is) and is the only hill mentioned, that is akin to raving. You may disagree, which is fine by me. BLA, BLA, BLA......BLA BLA.

Ar you shore you dont want to accept my offer? you obviously know so much about proffeshonal cycling, computer programs such as photopaint and paintshop and what cities are the best to live in I think that you, me and BPC would get along really well.

Ive been sniffing alot of glue today so im a bit out of it but i suspect you have to so I think that we will get along well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
Ar you shore you dont want to accept my offer? you obviously know so much about proffeshonal cycling, computer programs such as photopaint and paintshop and what cities are the best to live in I think that you, me and BPC would get along really well.

Ive been sniffing alot of glue today so im a bit out of it but i suspect you have to so I think that we will get along well.

You and Lance have another thing in common. Your both accustomed to sniffing things.:D

It would be nice if you actually contributed to the topic.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think the organisers want to put in a ITT in, but what the riders want in late January is another thing. I stated this on the last page or two back.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
If you don't have something to say about the subject under discussion, don't say anything. Cool it with the personal comments about other users. This is a warning.

Susan

While I don’t want to stick up for WonderLance, a poster here has made repeated insults about where several other forum members live, if this is not personal what is? And anyway, it looks as if WL genuinely agrees with him, you don’t want to deny those two their ‘special time'.

Also (and I know this is being discussed in another topic) if in real life, not the interwebs, I think someone is behaving like an idiot chances are I am going to call them that. Why should this be any different on this forum? In this thread a member has repeatedly made long stupid post after long stupid post and has not listened when his ignorance, contradictions and insults have been pointed out, what else is one to do?

craig1985 said:
I think the organisers want to put in a ITT in, but what the riders want in late January is another thing. I stated this on the last page or two back.

And I agreed with you, the race is more of a holiday but in January why should it be anything else?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
auscyclefan94 said:
Saying were someone lives nothing special is a bit mean. We all can't afford fancy homes.
Willunga definitely isn't a cheap place to live, and any town with a population of less thousand five thousand people but can still support three pubs, five cafes, two art galleries, is at the junction of two premium wine regions, is less than ten kms from what's been voted one of the world's top twenty beaches, gives a roadie the choice of either rolling to steep quiet country roads or flat runs through the vines, and has lots of choices for things to do on a MTB, is a pretty awesome place. The fact that Old Willunga Hill Road is "only" 3kms long with a max gradient of 15% and an average of 7.5% is really neither here nor there.

And to Galic, I've answered all of your points I can make sense of, but it's hard to debate with someone who just makes up random nonsense. Even though it's a waste of time I'll repeat my answers what I believe are your main points of contention; since being given PT status the TdU has became a pure sprinters tour, and Cadel Evans has never finished in the top three in a bunch sprint in his professional career so gaining enough time bonuses to win the TdU would be an impressive feat, teamwork or no teamwork (and we are talking about Silence/Omega-Lotto).

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I chatted to Cadel Evans today. He was in Dymocks for a book signing. I think I spotted Galic Ho at the front of the queue salivating at the prospect of meeting Cadel.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
While I don’t want to stick up for WonderLance, a poster here has made repeated insults about where several other forum members live, if this is not personal what is? And anyway, it looks as if WL genuinely agrees with him, you don’t want to deny those two their ‘special time'.

Also (and I know this is being discussed in another topic) if in real life, not the interwebs, I think someone is behaving like an idiot chances are I am going to call them that. Why should this be any different on this forum? In this thread a member has repeatedly made long stupid post after long stupid post and has not listened when his ignorance, contradictions and insults have been pointed out, what else is one to do?

And I agreed with you, the race is more of a holiday but in January why should it be anything else?

I know, although I wish some people would understand that when they fly off the handle when they say it should be a harder course and include a ITT.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Willunga definitely isn't a cheap place to live, and any town with a population of less thousand five thousand people but can still support three pubs, five cafes, two art galleries, is at the junction of two premium wine regions, is less than ten kms from what's been voted one of the world's top twenty beaches, gives a roadie the choice of either rolling to steep quiet country roads or flat runs through the vines, and has lots of choices for things to do on a MTB, is a pretty awesome place. The fact that Old Willunga Hill Road is "only" 3kms long with a max gradient of 15% and an average of 7.5% is really neither here nor there.

And to Galic, I've answered all of your points I can make sense of, but it's hard to debate with someone who just makes up random nonsense. Even though it's a waste of time I'll repeat my answers what I believe are your main points of contention; since being given PT status the TdU has became a pure sprinters tour, and Cadel Evans has never finished in the top three in a bunch sprint in his professional career so gaining enough time bonuses to win the TdU would be an impressive feat, teamwork or no teamwork (and we are talking about Silence/Omega-Lotto).

I never said Wilunga was cheap. I just meant that some of us are not as fortunate with money.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
auscyclefan94 said:
I never said Wilunga was cheap. I just meant that some of us are not as fortunate with money.

Yeah I knew what you meant, just wanted to plug the fact that having the TdU go up the hill isn't the biggest thing to cyclists around here. I can only afford to live in Willunga as we got a deal on a rental that is about half of the normal going rate.

Galic Ho said:
Perhaps you've forgotten the remarks about the lack of support and grievances with road users in Australia Cadel has made. .

I'm with Cadel on that one. Not sure where you are from, but I have ridden the same roads - pretty ordinary most of the time.. I have nearly been hit about 30 times.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
the rainbow jersey (...) It is unlike the yellow jersey in the Tour de France as you never know how long you get to wear that, and it will mean a great deal to me to wear it in Geelong for next year's race

It doesn't work that way dumbass

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:

At least have the gumption to name me. Picked on people for where they live? No, I made a comment about a hill (underated). It had nothing to do with where Berty lives, I merely pointed out that explained his reaction to what I'd written. Do I think "NSW is the place to be?" Maybe if you live in the Shire (no not the Lord of the Rings to those who don't know) or the Central Coast. The rest of the state is just a place to live.

Yes coincidence that Berty lives at Wilunga. Have I been there? No. Given my education and understanding of economics, I find the notion of mockery based on social-economic status appalling and if I wished to disrespect someone based only upon where they live (or occupation and history), I'd be very direct and associate a person with something truly dispicable, ie: a hovel (there are a number in my home state). Do I know if Wilunga is anything but a fine place to live? I cannot assume anything other than it is. But I can comment on its suitability as an element in a cycling event. Nothing is wrong with Wilunga, the race just needs more hills like it. Is this odd on a personal level. No, given I love mountainous terrain and riding hills. It is the interesting part that separates riders.

If it sounded like I was bagging Adelaide, I wasn't, I was simply commenting and detailing the failings of their government, primarily in obtaining primary sporting attractions. I don't feel the need to always address positives when it is unnecessary, simply to avoid making my very long post even longer. Readers, particularly locals of Adelaide are well versed on the benefits of their city. Adelaide has great weather, great wineries nearby and top beaches. Plenty to sell and advertise. Housing is cheaper than NSW, public transport is better, (parking meters are ripoffs but who cares), its just that aside from the AFL, cricket, soccer and the TDU, Adelaide trails in behind the eastern state capitals in sports representation. But someone has to with the geographical range and population of Australia. Personally I say give them back the F1.

So Berty and also aussiecyclefan if you think I was knocking Adelaide or where you live, I wasn't, I was merely taking issue with the numbers (gradient, hardness) of Wilunga hill as I think it does not warrant what I've been told and how I associate it with other climbs on a numerical basis. Also, the weather...the heat is great. Beats being cold.

Insults. I could have after Berty's reaction and quote about NSW and where I live...but he is unaware of the specifics, I left them out because the issue was about the TDU as a cycling event and that alone. Plus, as I've pointed out I understand why he did it. More or less a misunderstanding of the topic content...cycling event versus the location. Contradiction. Hypothetical. Disagree all you want but at least I was willing to give Cadel the benefit of the doubt and suggest, with a highly unlikely chance of it ever happening, that he could win the biggest race in Australia. How many other fans will do this, let alone one who has riders he prefers hands down over Cadel. Yes it would be very unlikely but given everything I've mentioned and the way the race has been raced the last few years...it could happen if he makes a breakaway. Nobody wins it by more than a handful of seconds. Get him to race first and then get him to care (I admitted I don't think either will happen thus everything I suggested was a hypothetical) I appreciate the way he rides and more importantly how he's ridden this year. Heck if I can get the entire podium of the Tour right (months before it occurred) and all but Cadels placing at the Vuelta correct then I will remain confident in my ability to see it and call it as it is. My having a contentious opinion on one minor aspect of cycling hardly makes me an idiot or lacking in overall scope and knowledge on the sport. But I can see how that helps your argument. But I will disagree with Cadel's comments today. He can't win the tour, but he can win one of the other tours and he better change his attitude towards finding satisfaction only when he wins the TdF, because he may end up being very unsatisfied (never a good thing for anyone).

Issoisso, glad someone else saw the glaringly obvious moment of stupidity by Cadel. World champs don't wear the jersey during the WC event. Sure on the podium, but that is it.

It wouldn't. Everyone is on holidays or going back to work. January is when the tennis is on (when we can drag them away from Europe and the US), golf, etc and happens to fill the 3 and a half weeks between some major public holidays. Too boot January on a climatic level has the best weather of the year, minus the odd bushfire. I wonder who will get more TV time. Tiger or Lance? My money is on Tiger. Arguably the best sportsman in the world who dominates every event in a global sport any day, over a multiple champion of one single event in a sport that is not truly global. Rip off as well in appearance fees, but the numbers are an estimated 25,000 daily at the Aus Masters three months before the event (not free either unlike cycling ). Cycling has a long way to go in this country.

To whoever it was who mentioned Cadel and road usage and their personal reflection on nearly being hit 30 odd times...thanks for proving my point. You may not realise it but given the events and press cycling has had the last month (all negative) the no.1 cyclist in Australia needs to do a lot better than his previous comments. Antagonising the general road users who have low respect for bike riders and pointing out personal frustrations (no matter how accurate and real) does not help change attitudes. Diplomacy and education are needed for everyone to induce a semi-harmony. Cadel should not be giving an opinion on bike/car road relations, it will just divide even further those who are already on opposite sides. Leave it to an authoritative figurehead.

Galic Ho said:
At least have the gumption to name me. Picked on people for where they live? No, I made a comment about a hill (underated). It had nothing to do with where Berty lives, I merely pointed out that explained his reaction to what I'd written. Do I think "NSW is the place to be?" Maybe if you live in the Shire (no not the Lord of the Rings to those who don't know) or the Central Coast. The rest of the state is just a place to live.

Yes coincidence that Berty lives at Wilunga. Have I been there? No. Given my education and understanding of economics, I find the notion of mockery based on social-economic status appalling and if I wished to disrespect someone based only upon where they live (or occupation and history), I'd be very direct and associate a person with something truly dispicable, ie: a hovel (there are a number in my home state). Do I know if Wilunga is anything but a fine place to live? I cannot assume anything other than it is. But I can comment on its suitability as an element in a cycling event. Nothing is wrong with Wilunga, the race just needs more hills like it. Is this odd on a personal level. No, given I love mountainous terrain and riding hills. It is the interesting part that separates riders.

If it sounded like I was bagging Adelaide, I wasn't, I was simply commenting and detailing the failings of their government, primarily in obtaining primary sporting attractions. I don't feel the need to always address positives when it is unnecessary, simply to avoid making my very long post even longer. Readers, particularly locals of Adelaide are well versed on the benefits of their city. Adelaide has great weather, great wineries nearby and top beaches. Plenty to sell and advertise. Housing is cheaper than NSW, public transport is better, (parking meters are ripoffs but who cares), its just that aside from the AFL, cricket, soccer and the TDU, Adelaide trails in behind the eastern state capitals in sports representation. But someone has to with the geographical range and population of Australia. Personally I say give them back the F1.

So Berty and also aussiecyclefan if you think I was knocking Adelaide or where you live, I wasn't, I was merely taking issue with the numbers (gradient, hardness) of Wilunga hill as I think it does not warrant what I've been told and how I associate it with other climbs on a numerical basis. Also, the weather...the heat is great. Beats being cold.

Insults. I could have after Berty's reaction and quote about NSW and where I live...but he is unaware of the specifics, I left them out because the issue was about the TDU as a cycling event and that alone. Plus, as I've pointed out I understand why he did it. More or less a misunderstanding of the topic content...cycling event versus the location. Contradiction. Hypothetical. Disagree all you want but at least I was willing to give Cadel the benefit of the doubt and suggest, with a highly unlikely chance of it ever happening, that he could win the biggest race in Australia. How many other fans will do this, let alone one who has riders he prefers hands down over Cadel. Yes it would be very unlikely but given everything I've mentioned and the way the race has been raced the last few years...it could happen if he makes a breakaway. Nobody wins it by more than a handful of seconds. Get him to race first and then get him to care (I admitted I don't think either will happen thus everything I suggested was a hypothetical) I appreciate the way he rides and more importantly how he's ridden this year. Heck if I can get the entire podium of the Tour right (months before it occurred) and all but Cadels placing at the Vuelta correct then I will remain confident in my ability to see it and call it as it is. My having a contentious opinion on one minor aspect of cycling hardly makes me an idiot or lacking in overall scope and knowledge on the sport. But I can see how that helps your argument. But I will disagree with Cadel's comments today. He can't win the tour, but he can win one of the other tours and he better change his attitude towards finding satisfaction only when he wins the TdF, because he may end up being very unsatisfied (never a good thing for anyone).

Issoisso, glad someone else saw the glaringly obvious moment of stupidity by Cadel. World champs don't wear the jersey during the WC event. Sure on the podium, but that is it.

It wouldn't. Everyone is on holidays or going back to work. January is when the tennis is on (when we can drag them away from Europe and the US), golf, etc and happens to fill the 3 and a half weeks between some major public holidays. Too boot January on a climatic level has the best weather of the year, minus the odd bushfire. I wonder who will get more TV time. Tiger or Lance? My money is on Tiger. Arguably the best sportsman in the world who dominates every event in a global sport any day, over a multiple champion of one single event in a sport that is not truly global. Rip off as well in appearance fees, but the numbers are an estimated 25,000 daily at the Aus Masters three months before the event (not free either unlike cycling ). Cycling has a long way to go in this country.

To whoever it was who mentioned Cadel and road usage and their personal reflection on nearly being hit 30 odd times...thanks for proving my point. You may not realise it but given the events and press cycling has had the last month (all negative) the no.1 cyclist in Australia needs to do a lot better than his previous comments. Antagonising the general road users who have low respect for bike riders and pointing out personal frustrations (no matter how accurate and real) does not help change attitudes. Diplomacy and education are needed for everyone to induce a semi-harmony. Cadel should not be giving an opinion on bike/car road relations, it will just divide even further those who are already on opposite sides. Leave it to an authoritative figurehead.

Dude, you need to relax.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Dude, you need to relax.

I'd say he needs a sit down and a nice cold Coopers Pale but somewhere in all that stuff he wrote I think he said he hated it because it was from South Australia.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
I'd say he needs a sit down and a nice cold Coopers Pale but somewhere in all that stuff he wrote I think he said he hated it because it was from South Australia.

I'll admit, I never read the post.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Yeah he's riding. Now to forget about it till next year. Wonder when Contador will announce his ride for next year?

Ignoring the obvious charms of South Australia and the TDU is really doing yourself a disservice - as the ad says "Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia!" - come down to Adelaide in January, you are right it will probably be a scorcher, and we might have Matt Lloyd or someone else pass out going down Pennys Hill Rd (that was on the Willunga stage if you weren't following). It won't make a blind bit of difference if in rains or shines - the racing will be just as good.

I used to live and ride in Sydney. 25km from the CBD to get to a decent hill in the National Parks north and south - wow! An hour of battling with aggro traffic. Now Ii have a choice of half a dozen hills ranging from 3 to 9km long, within 10km of the CBD. And hundreds of kilometers of quiet(ish) country roads. If you are a cycling tragic then this is the place to be - in January or any time.

Hope to see you here in January - otherwise enjoy your tennis!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
easytiger said:
Ignoring the obvious charms of South Australia and the TDU is really doing yourself a disservice - as the ad says "Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia!" - come down to Adelaide in January, you are right it will probably be a scorcher, and we might have Matt Lloyd or someone else pass out going down Pennys Hill Rd (that was on the Willunga stage if you weren't following). It won't make a blind bit of difference if in rains or shines - the racing will be just as good.

I used to live and ride in Sydney. 25km from the CBD to get to a decent hill in the National Parks north and south - wow! An hour of battling with aggro traffic. Now Ii have a choice of half a dozen hills ranging from 3 to 9km long, within 10km of the CBD. And hundreds of kilometers of quiet(ish) country roads. If you are a cycling tragic then this is the place to be - in January or any time.

Hope to see you here in January - otherwise enjoy your tennis!

Tell the premier down in SA to advertise here in NSW. I've never heard of the add you mention and I would remember.

About the weather, tell tale signs kicked in right on cue. Sneezing. But like I said. A month late. February will be very hot. At least you guys got rain this year (I was corrected there). Don't need huge quantities where I live. We have more than enough. If we run out, everyone in NSW is in trouble. Hope there is rain and heat in the TDU. Mix it up for everyone.

I wake up and kangaroos are in my front yard. Hills everywhere near my place. A major aussie rider comes from nearby too. Arguably the best aussie rider this year. I wouldn't ride a bike in Sydney unless I was a courier. The pay alone nullifies the danger. Not surprised about Adelaide though. Newcastle has great places to ride safely as well.

If Teresa Palmer shows up to the TDU and they get her to present something on the podium, I'll make an effort to turn up if I can get the spare time.