• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caffeine back on WADA banned list?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
damn stupid, that would mean that you won't even be able to drink a cup of coffee. It's not like caffeine enhances performance. It will give you this little boost you also get with powergels... because of one guy taking an overdose of sleepingpills after taking a caffeinetablet(a Tablet by all means :s :rolleyes: ). Stupid idea imho

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The old ban was never that extreme!
"Prior to that, the legal limit for caffeine was 12 microgram/ml in urine, said to be equivalent to around eight cups of espresso".

In think I read some summaries of studies that found caffeine to significantly enhance the fat burning phase. Have it kick in earlier, and ride better after muscle energy has run out. Also it can boost the heart rate, which is associates with weight loss.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
caffeine is a sympathomimetic stimulant.

some biochemists put it’s stimulat effectiveness at about 1/5 of amphetamines' in mg for mg.

at caffeine limit for an 'average adult' ~40 cups of espresso=/~one illegal doze of amphetamines.

don’t see it banned again whatever fah-hey sey:p.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chuffy said:
The old ban was never that extreme!
"Prior to that, the legal limit for caffeine was 12 microgram/ml in urine, said to be equivalent to around eight cups of espresso".

8 cups of drip coffee maybe but 8 cups of espresso has less than 1/2 of the caffein of regular drip. The dark roast gets more flavour but the process destroys a lot of the caffein. The stronger flavour is often associated with caffein content but the content is actually less.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Kodiak said:
wonder when those 5 hour energy drinks will be banned.

I tried those twice, and got nothing from them. I was expecting them to be on par with a couple of cups of coffee. Was really surprised at the results.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
8 cups of drip coffee maybe but 8 cups of espresso has less than 1/2 of the caffein of regular drip. The dark roast gets more flavour but the process destroys a lot of the caffein. The stronger flavour is often associated with caffein content but the content is actually less.
Really, so espresso is all bark and not much bite? I'd always assumed that it was super-concentrated rocket fuel!
I knew I'd learn stuff if I came on here. :D

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I think what John Fahey was talking about is the energy drinks with gruarna some are getting stronger now and we dont know what they do in long term.
Cant imagin Cycling without a coffee stop.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I seem to recall some women riders being busted using caffeine suppositories before a time trial. It gets absorbed really fast that way. Maybe the Lowry's team?

Allen Keys

BANNED
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
redtreviso said:
speaking of caffeine...I stumbled across this the other day..

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6072

Wow, this story could have been written by me. I don't drink coffee, tea or coke, but come race day or TT, I take 100mg caffeine tablet or a caffiene gel - both of which are only equivilent to one cup of strong coffee - and it does seem to pack a punch above the effect most people would get from the same dose.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
damn stupid, that would mean that you won't even be able to drink a cup of coffee. It's not like caffeine enhances performance. It will give you this little boost you also get with powergels... because of one guy taking an overdose of sleepingpills after taking a caffeinetablet(a Tablet by all means :s :rolleyes: ). Stupid idea imho

It does enhance performance. There are heaps of studies. It's a small effect though. It's a safe substance, found in food, it would be a massive inconvenience to athletes to ban it. I say it stays legal and unregulated. The funny thing is, the way the dose-response curve works, taking heaps of caffeine doesn't get you more benefit than taking a small-moderate amount. It just makes you feel nervous and anxious. So the athletes that get NO-DOZ and juice up on it are just being tools, not improving their performance.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Everyone talks on the performance enhancing effects of caffeine but few mention the other factor to consider for banned substances excluding masking agents. Does it have bad effects in your health if not prescribed for therapeutic use? Probably, if you take it in brutal amounts. But so does water.

A cup of espresso about 1 hour before the race helps stimulate emptying the lower regions, so one is ready for hours in the saddle. Would be a nuissance if this was no longer possible. But as mentioned above, espresso actually has less caffeine, so probably still ok.

TRENDING THREADS