• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caisse d'Espargne and Katusha TDF

Katyusha - probably Rodríguez. He can't TT but he can sure climb, and has two Vuelta top 10s when working for Valverde. So far this year he has come 7th in Paris-Nice, 3rd in País Vasco and won the Volta a Catalunya, and won a stage of País Vasco, the GP Miguel Induraín and come 2nd in La Flèche Wallonne.

Caisse - Alberto Contador.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Katyusha - probably Rodríguez. He can't TT but he can sure climb, and has two Vuelta top 10s when working for Valverde. So far this year he has come 7th in Paris-Nice, 3rd in País Vasco and won the Volta a Catalunya, and won a stage of País Vasco, the GP Miguel Induraín and come 2nd in La Flèche Wallonne.

Caisse - Alberto Contador.

Katyusha surely Rodríguez. He moved away from Caisse to lead at the TdF instead of doing the usual Giro + help Valverde at the Vuelta he'd been doing for a few years.

Caisse will hunt for stages with LLSanchez

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
i can see Mulletman Karpets at least getting lip service as being "co-leader" of Katusha's squad. it's a russian outfit, i can see them liking the optics of a russian "co-leader."

Caisse are my favourite team. If he's fit I can see Soler aiming for KOM before crashing out on the cobbles, Sánchez looking for a stage and the likes of Cobo and maybe even Plaza stage hunting from breaks in stages with climbing but no MTF (or even with one for Cobo). Moreau will try to mix it for GC and come in a while after the big names and come about 20th-30th overall, like all ageing French hopes (Stéphane Goubert, anyone?).

The Contador comment was just being facetious, since Bertie can often count on a little bit of assistance from his friends in black and red. Many of them are personal friends, and given that Contador going to that team has been the rumour for a year or more, giving a little hand and making him positively disposed to you goes a long way.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
can someone please explain this to me?

balberde.jpg

ilillillli said:

balberde.jpg

Caisse have a great supporting cast but no proven GT force to lead them.

In most dialects of Castilian Spanish, 'b' and 'v' are usually pronounced the same way. Don Alejandro's nickname, or one of them, is 'Bala Verde' (The Green Bullet).

Hence somebody's photoshopped in a fake moustache, and used the nickname and a modified transcription of his name, to joke that Caisse have found a new star to lead them at the Tour, and it's Valverde in disguise.

Escarabajo said:
I think Caisse must be confused. Uran is enjoying great form right now. I don't think he was listed initially but now I am not sure. He could do something in the mountains this year.

Urán already rode the Giro, I think was aiming to peak for that, was meant to have the free role. He was said to be targeting the KoM after being eliminated from contention in Holland, but obviously Arroyo's great GC placing after the halfway point put paid to that. Urán was the last domestique of any team left with the heads of state in the L'Aquila stage, was with Arroyo to the end on Monte Grappa, was his second-to-last domestique on Zoncolán (Jeannesson was the last) and was the last man with him on the Mortirolo as well.

Because he's been in great form in late May and June, I think he may struggle to still be in that form in late July for the key mountains, but his performances in stages 16 and 17 of last year's Tour show that the guy has a big future. Perhaps he should rest up now and go for the Vuelta; with very little time trial mileage, a strong team with him and all that, he could well top 10 the same way as Rodríguez has the last couple of years.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Caisse have a great supporting cast but no proven GT force to lead them.

In most dialects of Castilian Spanish, 'b' and 'v' are usually pronounced the same way. Don Alejandro's nickname, or one of them, is 'Bala Verde' (The Green Bullet).

Hence somebody's photoshopped in a fake moustache, and used the nickname and a modified transcription of his name, to joke that Caisse have found a new star to lead them at the Tour, and it's Valverde in disguise.

ok, really i was just trying to make a cheap joke...

ilillillli said:

balberde.jpg

nice.

As for Uran, i think hes quite good and hes young. Perhaps it would be wiser for him to skip the Tour after that hard giro at his age.

Katusha- you can be sure Michail Ignatiev will keep going on solo breaks from 30 km out (or is that kolobnev, im confused with these russians and their big names)

The Hitch said:
nice.

As for Uran, i think hes quite good and hes young. Perhaps it would be wiser for him to skip the Tour after that hard giro at his age.

Katusha- you can be sure Michail Ignatiev will keep going on solo breaks from 30 km out (or is that kolobnev, im confused with these russians and their big names)

Kolobnev does that, more often in Classics. Ignatiev does that regardless of parcours or race.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Rodriguez and Karpets will lead Katusha. Karpets used giro as preparation for the tour. Also for Katusha will ride Kolobnev, Sergey Ivanov, Pavel Brutt, Eduard vorganov, McEwen.

Kim Kirchen should take part in tour also, but due to health problems Nikolay Trusov and Stijn Vandenbergh will take last two spots.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
ireland said:
Rodriguez and Karpets will lead Katusha. Karpets used giro as preparation for the tour. Also for Katusha will ride Kolobnev, Sergey Ivanov, Pavel Brutt, Eduard vorganov, McEwen.

Kim Kirchen should take part in tour also, but due to health problems Nikolay Trusov and Stijn Vandenbergh will take last two spots.

Hmmm, McEwen. he hasn't done much, out with injury a lot, plus doesn't have that kick anymore... perhaps a younger rider, they have a few good ones

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
S2Sturges said:
Hmmm, McEwen. he hasn't done much, out with injury a lot, plus doesn't have that kick anymore... perhaps a younger rider, they have a few good ones

This line up was announced in russia about two weeks ago. McEwen definitly will take part in Tour and i think he will do well. He is getting his form back. It took a while to recovery from an injury but he is in good shape now.

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Caisse/Illes Balears/Banesto always made a point of not overusing young riders. I don't see Urán starting the Tour.

He rode last year (and very well). I hope to see him. I don't see Moreau or Soler doing good performance.

carrai said:
He rode last year (and very well). I hope to see him. I don't see Moreau or Soler doing good performance.

Yes, but last year he didn't do the Giro, and this year he did. And with Arroyo being in the maglia rosa on the mountain stages and Bruseghin dropping out with injury, Urán had to be the one to die on the mountain for Arroyo. So asking him to do the Giro, Tour de Suisse and Tour de France consecutively might be a bit much.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
i think the Swiss Supreme Court will overturn the decision banning AV.This will pave the way for Valverde to ride this years TDF.

Regarding Katyusha.Rodriguez will definitely gonna be the leader.

TRENDING THREADS