• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caisse sponsorship to end after 2010

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Remember when Gerolsteiner gave a years notice of their withdrawal from the sport, and the eruption of "clinic related activities" that ensued on that team as riders prepared for their job searches? Yikes.

That wasn't a consequence. It was business as usual

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/caisse-depargne-to-end-cycling-sponsorship

Surely this sets it up perfectly for Alonso to make his move into the sport?

Saxo admitting publicly that they didn't meet the marketing goals envisioned when the took on their role is discouraging.

I really hope this is not a sign of hard time and downsizing to come in the sport.

Now would be a good time for Alonzo to step up to the plate.
(if god had driven the Ferrari last year, it may have been slightly faster, but then he could re-write the laws of physics couldn't he.)

Is AC's contract 1 year or 2?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
That wasn't a consequence. It was business as usual

And it will be "business as usual" for Caisse d'Epargne this year too?
But with added pressure to show some results to attract a new sponsor.

Although evidence of Gerolsteiner's "clinic related problems" did not surface until AFTER they announced the team would fold. The team announced in September 2007 that they would not be renewing its sponsorship agreement at the end of the 2008 season.

Then Gerolsteiner's Davide Rebellin got caught for 2008 Olympics...

And Gerolsteiner's Stefan Schumacher and Bernhard Kohl were busted for CERA in October 2008.

Bottom line....IMO it will not be easy to find a replacement for Caisse d'Epargne. Maybe Valverde can move over to Astana in 2011...

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
And it will be "business as usual" for Caisse d'Epargne this year too?
But with added pressure to show some results to attract a new sponsor.

Although evidence of Gerolsteiner's "clinic related problems" did not surface until AFTER they announced the team would fold. The team announced in September 2007 that they would not be renewing its sponsorship agreement at the end of the 2008 season.

Then Gerolsteiner's Davide Rebellin got caught for 2008 Olympics...

And Gerolsteiner's Stefan Schumacher and Bernhard Kohl were busted for CERA in October 2008.

Bottom line....IMO it will not be easy to find a replacement for Caisse d'Epargne. Maybe Valverde can move over to Astana in 2011...

Nah, Caisse/Banesto/Illes Balears have been good at avoiding positives so far, and with good results, so I don't think they're going to share fate with Gerolsteiner. The ban of Valverde might become a problem, as they'll lose their best man, but if Footon-Servetto gets a new sponsor season over season, I don't see why they can't get a bigger one.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Being associated with one doping case after another doesn't boost your profits. Esp. if you're a bank.

I won't drop my bank account if a rider tested positive. My currant bank is a sponsor of a footy code here in Australia where the players like to get drunk, get into fights outside pubs, gang bang women, so if I haven't shut my account yet, I wouldn't do the same if my bank sponsored a cycling team and that team had a positive.

To bump this thread for a bit, I read an interview with Samuel Sanchez the other day and he that nothing is certain yet, Alonso is really serious about starting a team. How and when is unknown, but chances are that we will one day see Alonso, friend of Sanchez, as a boss of a cyclingteam.

Sanchez by the way also mentioned that he in principle wanted to finish his career with Euskaltel. I can only see him leaving for the new team of Alonso to be honest.

TRENDING THREADS