• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Calf pain when riding

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
When I am riding, the first area to get sore or tight are my calves. I have had a bike fit on both the bikes I ride, and the problem occurs with both the Look and SPD pedals I use. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem and how I can correct it?

Thanks

Bill

When I am riding, the first area to get sore or tight are my calves. I have had a bike fit on both the bikes I ride, and the problem occurs with both the Look and SPD pedals I use. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem and how I can correct it?

Thanks

Bill
work on calf flexibility, but also entire leg flexibility.

EDIT: even though you have had a fit done, you might try lowering your seat by 5-10 mm.

Last edited:
Seat height is a big part of it, but a major factor is if the rider is strenuously flexing the ankles. E.g. raising and lowering the heel.
I believe the generally accepted technique is to NOT use ankle FLEX in an attempt to generate power.

The calf is super dense..old school,take a piece of wood(2x4 American) and do some up and down exercises w your heal touching the floor with the first inches of your foot and toes on the board. Do a set w feet straight, then w toes in and another w toes out.there are a bunch of YouTube videos for calf exercising. I had issues before and I found it was mostly cleat was a tiny,tiny bit too far forward. I am certainly not saying change your position..if you have no other problems or pain probably not advisable. The exercise and flexibility stuff is a non harmful place to start..some guys I know keep the chunk of wood under their desk and do tiny calf exercises during the day..

As well as loosening and strengthening exercises I'd be looking at a combination of seat height and cleat position. There's a good chance your cleats are a few mm too far forward.

My recommendation is to see a physiotherapist with good bike fit experience

TRENDING THREADS