Calf pain when riding

Jul 21, 2014
When I am riding, the first area to get sore or tight are my calves. I have had a bike fit on both the bikes I ride, and the problem occurs with both the Look and SPD pedals I use. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem and how I can correct it?

Thanks

Bill

When I am riding, the first area to get sore or tight are my calves. I have had a bike fit on both the bikes I ride, and the problem occurs with both the Look and SPD pedals I use. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem and how I can correct it?

Thanks

Bill
work on calf flexibility, but also entire leg flexibility.

EDIT: even though you have had a fit done, you might try lowering your seat by 5-10 mm.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021
Overuse of the calf muscle and Achilles tendon can cause pain behind the lower part of your leg and behind the ankle, and can be attributed to a seat that is adjusted too high. This will cause you to reach for your pedal, forcing the calf muscle to contract on a constant basis. Another common reason for encountering cycling leg pain is a build-up of lactic acid. Whilst you are cycling the body utilizes oxygen to break down glucose for energy. If the exercise intensity is too much you might run out of oxygen for this process. In order to fight against it, you can get yourself walking boots from https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/braces-and-supports/walking-boot/. A walking boot is an orthopedic device used to stabilize the foot and ankle after receiving an injury like a severe sprain, bone fracture, or torn tendon.

Last edited:
Seat height is a big part of it, but a major factor is if the rider is strenuously flexing the ankles. E.g. raising and lowering the heel.
I believe the generally accepted technique is to NOT use ankle FLEX in an attempt to generate power.

The calf is super dense..old school,take a piece of wood(2x4 American) and do some up and down exercises w your heal touching the floor with the first inches of your foot and toes on the board. Do a set w feet straight, then w toes in and another w toes out.there are a bunch of YouTube videos for calf exercising. I had issues before and I found it was mostly cleat was a tiny,tiny bit too far forward. I am certainly not saying change your position..if you have no other problems or pain probably not advisable. The exercise and flexibility stuff is a non harmful place to start..some guys I know keep the chunk of wood under their desk and do tiny calf exercises during the day..

As well as loosening and strengthening exercises I'd be looking at a combination of seat height and cleat position. There's a good chance your cleats are a few mm too far forward.

My recommendation is to see a physiotherapist with good bike fit experience

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Enthusiast Road Cycling 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY