• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Cam Meyer as a GT rider?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 16, 2009
3,157
0
0
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Explain to me why then in last years prologue that Andy Schleck went faster than a former world champion? Drugs. Get your head checked fanboy. Rogers is nothing special. He hasn't won squat. Heck him winning the Tour would have been a big sign he was doped. As I said, you might want to get your head checked.

Cameron Meyer a GT winner, let alone contender? Nope. As was pointed out, every aussie who wins something is often hailed the next great white hope. Who cares? Thats right, the aussie fanboys like Glockers and Aussiecyclefan94 who realise they need a new whipping boy considering their darlings Rogers and Evans respectively have come up with nothing so far, except some broken collarbones, epstein bar virus and a second place to "dirty Spaniard." Oh and I forgot, they both choked! Cough, cough.:eek: But Evans WC jersey will bring him luck won't it fellas?

To the original OP. Who mentioned Cameron Meyer as a GT winner? He raced this week and all of a sudden he is seen as a potential winner.:confused: WTF! Here is how I see it. Aussiecyclefan94 by starting this thread is one of those people proclaiming Meyer as a future winner, with no basis to do so. He/She (there is confusion amongst forumists to the exact sex of the poster) said "people see" and "have mentioned." Well until you did Aussiecyclefan94 I had not heard a word of that dribble. Hence we don't need to look hard to find who has been suggesting as much. You have and tried to disguise it with a veiled question in the OP. How about leaving the young fella alone and dropping the talk of him being your next messiah. Let him race and if he turns out some great showings then good for him. Till then, just drop it. Hypothetical BS is all it is right now.

Why do people do this? They're Aussies and they are fanboys. They have to latch onto every Aussie who can pedal decently, because compared to the Europeans in GTs they are few and far between. Really it is nothing more than deluded rampant patriotism run amok. I know, I am an Aussie and I see this crap all the time.

I don't like Cadel. I haven't jumped on his bandwagon. I guess I'm not an Aussie?
 
Apr 16, 2009
394
0
0
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Explain to me why then in last years prologue that Andy Schleck went faster than a former world champion? Drugs. Get your head checked fanboy. Rogers is nothing special. He hasn't won squat. Heck him winning the Tour would have been a big sign he was doped. As I said, you might want to get your head checked.

Cameron Meyer a GT winner, let alone contender? Nope. As was pointed out, every aussie who wins something is often hailed the next great white hope. Who cares? Thats right, the aussie fanboys like Glockers and Aussiecyclefan94 who realise they need a new whipping boy considering their darlings Rogers and Evans respectively have come up with nothing so far, except some broken collarbones, epstein bar virus and a second place to "dirty Spaniard." Oh and I forgot, they both choked! Cough, cough.:eek: But Evans WC jersey will bring him luck won't it fellas?

To the original OP. Who mentioned Cameron Meyer as a GT winner? He raced this week and all of a sudden he is seen as a potential winner.:confused: WTF! Here is how I see it. Aussiecyclefan94 by starting this thread is one of those people proclaiming Meyer as a future winner, with no basis to do so. He/She (there is confusion amongst forumists to the exact sex of the poster) said "people see" and "have mentioned." Well until you did Aussiecyclefan94 I had not heard a word of that dribble. Hence we don't need to look hard to find who has been suggesting as much. You have and tried to disguise it with a veiled question in the OP. How about leaving the young fella alone and dropping the talk of him being your next messiah. Let him race and if he turns out some great showings then good for him. Till then, just drop it. Hypothetical BS is all it is right now.

Why do people do this? They're Aussies and they are fanboys. They have to latch onto every Aussie who can pedal decently, because compared to the Europeans in GTs they are few and far between. Really it is nothing more than deluded rampant patriotism run amok. I know, I am an Aussie and I see this crap all the time.

And your constant anti-patriotism to the point of being a suckhole for Valverde and other European riders is just as deluded.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
i know nothing about and have nothing against this guy except he just won the worlds and is an aussie. for what i know he may have a great future.

yeah, fantasizing and being a fan is fine phonetically but what about a reality check ?

how many points race champions in the past have won gts ?
how many gt champions have won a points race ?
how many points champions even became strong gt riders ?

none that i can think of.

i know only one former points great who recently won a stage at t-a is a strong tter and a half decent gt rider.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
theyoungest said:
How depressing it must be for a pro to read internet cycling forums...

Why? I'm sure they love to read that either a) they're crap, or b) they're good and so must be doping.
 
Oct 5, 2009
53
0
0
Visit site
Wow. Did Mick just respond to posters on these forums using twitter?

...talk about feeding the trolls! Why give creedence to any of the ridiculousness that goes on here Mick? Let it be.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
Visit site
both meyer and jack bobridge are very good for their age 22 and 20 i think.
As far as a points race victory goes as to GC talent WTF?
However 2 guys around the 5'10/11" mark at just under or on 70kg with good TTs would suggest they have some weight to lose and may well climb with the best...I'd say nothing counts them out yet, but not much more. Its a good start, but its a long road to GT stardom.

Edit: As for Aussies touting the next aussie star in the form of racing that matters most to us...what a shock, no other nation on earth would do that.
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
Hibbles said:
Well said Mick.

I probably should have written a bit more with the quotes. It's kind of scary to know that pros peruse the forum, but everything here pops up on Google searches within five minutes anyway. But due to the way you replied, I'll just remind people I'm an unemployed fat guy from the Midwestern United States - I was just quoting a twitter feed. Cheers.
 
theswordsman said:
I probably should have written a bit more with the quotes. It's kind of scary to know that pros peruse the forum, but everything here pops up on Google searches within five minutes anyway. But due to the way you replied, I'll just remind people I'm an unemployed fat guy from the Midwestern United States - I was just quoting a twitter feed. Cheers.

Not scary, but predictable. It's niche market and on a slow day........
Not that dissimilar really.
Must be good for a laugh, if nothing else.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
lone_cowboy said:
he's aussie, that makes him a sure thing to win a GT ;)
no, many experts (not just aussies gallic ho) have touted cam as hte next big things in gt's. i was making that point because i wasn't sure how well he could climb but everyone has seemed to turn against me.
Galic Ho said:
Explain to me why then in last years prologue that Andy Schleck went faster than a former world champion? Drugs. Get your head checked fanboy. Rogers is nothing special. He hasn't won squat. Heck him winning the Tour would have been a big sign he was doped. As I said, you might want to get your head checked.

Cameron Meyer a GT winner, let alone contender? Nope. As was pointed out, every aussie who wins something is often hailed the next great white hope. Who cares? Thats right, the aussie fanboys like Glockers and Aussiecyclefan94 who realise they need a new whipping boy considering their darlings Rogers and Evans respectively have come up with nothing so far, except some broken collarbones, epstein bar virus and a second place to "dirty Spaniard." Oh and I forgot, they both choked! Cough, cough.:eek: But Evans WC jersey will bring him luck won't it fellas?

Mick is only against the negative talk of meyer.
@mickrogers


To the original OP. Who mentioned Cameron Meyer as a GT winner? He raced this week and all of a sudden he is seen as a potential winner.:confused: WTF! Here is how I see it. Aussiecyclefan94 by starting this thread is one of those people proclaiming Meyer as a future winner, with no basis to do so. He/She (there is confusion amongst forumists to the exact sex of the poster) said "people see" and "have mentioned." Well until you did Aussiecyclefan94 I had not heard a word of that dribble. Hence we don't need to look hard to find who has been suggesting as much. You have and tried to disguise it with a veiled question in the OP. How about leaving the young fella alone and dropping the talk of him being your next messiah. Let him race and if he turns out some great showings then good for him. Till then, just drop it. Hypothetical BS is all it is right now.

Why do people do this? They're Aussies and they are fanboys. They have to latch onto every Aussie who can pedal decently, because compared to the Europeans in GTs they are few and far between. Really it is nothing more than deluded rampant patriotism run amok. I know, I am an Aussie and I see this crap all the time.

Your telling others to get their head's checked?:eek:.Pot calling the kettle black! what's wrong with discussing possible hypotheticals of people in the future? posters do it all the time but you only have a go at me. You are also a un-patriotic pig IMO. Your posts so anti aussie and your head is stuck so far up your **** it is amazing.Nothing wrong with barracking for your country. Go move to spain to chamois sniff valverde because australia would be a far better place without people like you. I don't need to drop talking about him. People post "crap" about young riders all the time. if we cut out every hypothetical thread in this forum then we won't have many threads.

Mick is only against the negative talk of meyer.
@mickrogers

To all the internet cycling forum experts commenting on Cameron Meyer's future GT possibilities. Leave the kid alone, he's only 22 years old

@mickrogers

Let me rephrase. To all the cycling forum experts "negatively" commenting on Cameron Meyer's future GT possibilities...

never said he would win one but matt white and JVaughters want to build him up as a GT rider. i was interested with the forum members opinions if they thought he could do something in GT"S in the future.This was just a personal attack on me.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Hibbles said:
Why? I'm sure they love to read that either a) they're crap, or b) they're good and so must be doping.
+1, unless it is valverde of course because he is god.
theyoungest said:
How depressing it must be for a pro to read internet cycling forums...

Yes and how depressing it is to listen to Gallic Ho's garbage....
 
Galic Ho said:
Explain to me why then in last years prologue that Andy Schleck went faster than a former world champion? Drugs. Get your head checked fanboy. Rogers is nothing special. He hasn't won squat. Heck him winning the Tour would have been a big sign he was doped. As I said, you might want to get your head checked.

Cameron Meyer a GT winner, let alone contender? Nope. As was pointed out, every aussie who wins something is often hailed the next great white hope. Who cares? Thats right, the aussie fanboys like Glockers and Aussiecyclefan94 who realise they need a new whipping boy considering their darlings Rogers and Evans respectively have come up with nothing so far, except some broken collarbones, epstein bar virus and a second place to "dirty Spaniard." Oh and I forgot, they both choked! Cough, cough.:eek: But Evans WC jersey will bring him luck won't it fellas?

To the original OP. Who mentioned Cameron Meyer as a GT winner? He raced this week and all of a sudden he is seen as a potential winner.:confused: WTF! Here is how I see it. Aussiecyclefan94 by starting this thread is one of those people proclaiming Meyer as a future winner, with no basis to do so. He/She (there is confusion amongst forumists to the exact sex of the poster) said "people see" and "have mentioned." Well until you did Aussiecyclefan94 I had not heard a word of that dribble. Hence we don't need to look hard to find who has been suggesting as much. You have and tried to disguise it with a veiled question in the OP. How about leaving the young fella alone and dropping the talk of him being your next messiah. Let him race and if he turns out some great showings then good for him. Till then, just drop it. Hypothetical BS is all it is right now.

Why do people do this? They're Aussies and they are fanboys. They have to latch onto every Aussie who can pedal decently, because compared to the Europeans in GTs they are few and far between. Really it is nothing more than deluded rampant patriotism run amok. I know, I am an Aussie and I see this crap all the time.

Holy crap! Time for some anger management for you ...

Think of the willow tree blowing in the wind and be calm. :) Light a vanilla scented candle for f*ck sakes :D
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Ripper said:
Holy crap! Time for some anger management for you ...

Think of the willow tree blowing in the wind and be calm. :) Light a vanilla scented candle for f*ck sakes :D
:D
you make me laugh everytime you post.Keep up the good work!
 
Apr 12, 2009
1,087
2
0
Visit site
Well I'm not going to no way because if anybody can take a good track and turn him into a GT contender it's Garmin, I mean who believed wigans would be a contender. Even with that said he has to prove himself on the road first like the other next big things.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Then turn the speech software off and read it instead.

I've never got why it's wrong to not be patriotic. Why should a person being born x number of km from me affect how much I'm allowed to like them?

:rolleyes:

I think you should have some pride in your country, gallic can barrack for who he likes but the way he bags his own country men is appaling.

You sometimes wonder if some cyclists read these forums or are actual members. The time he posted that tweet is around an hour either way of when I posted the thread.

Great to see the aussies beat the poms in the pursuit with meyer. Great ride by him and the team!
 
Aug 17, 2009
1,196
0
0
Visit site
To answer a few questions: Cam climbs quite well. He did the Giro last year, but not to finish, just to get a bit of experience. Can he be a GT rider? Of course. Can he ride GC at a GT? Maybe. That's a number of years off, but I'd say he can contend some week long races this year, however it won't be until later in the year, as just bouncing onto the road after months of track prep is tough. Esp regards to climbing....JV
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Correction, the former World TT champion got into an early breakaway which, as all such breakaways, were allowed an early lead. He crashed out before the chase really begun.
Except that he just doesn't have a very good record in GT TTs. He could perhaps have defended the lead you dreamed up towards Leipheimer and Evans and gained a bit of time on Contador, with luck. Sadly a number of Mountain stages remained, and Rogers has a proven lack of ability to climb with the best.


I suppose that's true, for a sufficiently lenient definition of the word "could". That doesn't mean it's remotely plausible.

I agree with this. I like rogers, but I don't think the guy had a chance to keep the yellow. Just my opinion.

karlboss said:
Edit: As for Aussies touting the next aussie star in the form of racing that matters most to us...what a shock, no other nation on earth would do that.

:D indeed. Gesink for the tour anyone? :p

Libertine Seguros said:
I've never got why it's wrong to not be patriotic. Why should a person being born x number of km from me affect how much I'm allowed to like them?

agreed. I've been asked here before why I don't support evans cause im aussie or live in australia. The reason is I think the guy is a whinning d!ck.

Being from a dutch background I tend to support the dutch. I have nothing against most of the aussie riders, i like quite a few. But I don't have to support them.
 
JV1973 said:
To answer a few questions: Cam climbs quite well. He did the Giro last year, but not to finish, just to get a bit of experience. Can he be a GT rider? Of course. Can he ride GC at a GT? Maybe. That's a number of years off, but I'd say he can contend some week long races this year, however it won't be until later in the year, as just bouncing onto the road after months of track prep is tough. Esp regards to climbing....JV

Good to hear.

Thanks JV

(and the twitter circus)
 

TRENDING THREADS