• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Cam Meyer as a GT rider?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I agree with this. I like rogers, but I don't think the guy had a chance to keep the yellow. Just my opinion.

:D indeed. Gesink for the tour anyone? :p

agreed. I've been asked here before why I don't support evans cause im aussie or live in australia. The reason is I think the guy is a whinning d!ck.

Being from a dutch background I tend to support the dutch. I have nothing against most of the aussie riders, i like quite a few. But I don't have to support them.

Timmy you are patriotic in a sense because you have a dutch background and can I assume you have lived their for some time?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
blaxland said:
Meyer i think can be a good week long stage race rider,but GTs the climbs are to long................Bobridge who knows??

White has said that they are going to train Bobridge to be a classics rider and meyer as a GT GC rider.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Timmy you are patriotic in a sense because you have a dutch background and can I assume you have lived their for some time?

no you cannot :p Obviously been there, but never lived. I plan to live there somewhere down the road for a couple of years. But Melbourne will always be my home.

auscyclefan94 said:
White has said that they are going to train Bobridge to be a classics rider and meyer as a GT GC rider.

I'm sure meyer has the potential to devolp into a great rider, but I'm not ready to salute him as a future GC man until I see a little more from the guy.
There are some riders (i.e sicard, kritsky etc) you get the feeling will be a good GT rider down the road, Meyer has in no way made me feel this yet.
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
Visit site
JV1973 said:
To answer a few questions: Cam climbs quite well. He did the Giro last year, but not to finish, just to get a bit of experience. Can he be a GT rider? Of course. Can he ride GC at a GT? Maybe. That's a number of years off, but I'd say he can contend some week long races this year, however it won't be until later in the year, as just bouncing onto the road after months of track prep is tough. Esp regards to climbing....JV

I looked at the 2009 Giro results and he finished fairly far down in the 2 first mountain stages. Now of cause Wiggins have made the transformation from Track to decent GC rider, so I won't entirely rule out that Meyer can as well, but I still think it's grossly premature to consider it until he actually shows something in a GT.
 
Cerberus said:
I looked at the 2009 Giro results and he finished fairly far down in the 2 first mountain stages. Now of cause Wiggins have made the transformation from Track to decent GC rider, so I won't entirely rule out that Meyer can as well, but I still think it's grossly premature to consider it until he actually shows something in a GT.

True, but Meyer was barely 21 at last years Giro and as JV said in his earlier post, only there for the experience.

On top of that, last year Meyer was more concerned about the Track Worlds where he was targeting the Points Race (which he won) and the Team Pursuit.

Don't forget that the young Aussie riders at Garmin (Cam Meyer, Trav Meyer and Bobridge) are there because Garmin allowed them to spend most of their season focusing on the track while they are being weaned into the Protour.

On another note; if Wigans can go from trackie to GT contender at nearly 30 years of age I'm sure that Meyer will be fine considering that he just turned 22!
 
Mar 27, 2010
85
0
0
Visit site
42x16ss said:
True, but Meyer was barely 21 at last years Giro and as JV said in his earlier post, only there for the experience.

On top of that, last year Meyer was more concerned about the Track Worlds where he was targeting the Points Race (which he won) and the Team Pursuit.

Don't forget that the young Aussie riders at Garmin (Cam Meyer, Trav Meyer and Bobridge) are there because Garmin allowed them to spend most of their season focusing on the track while they are being weaned into the Protour.

On another note; if Wigans can go from trackie to GT contender at nearly 30 years of age I'm sure that Meyer will be fine considering that he just turned 22!

Age doesn't tell anything about the amount of talent someone can have, or the potential. Maybe it was always in it for Wiggins but he just never discovered it or worked hard enough for it. Atleast on the track he showed his potential in a way those young aussies still have to do.

Btw, why is Wiggins after one good tour called a GT contender? He has never showed in other GT's that he is or has won smaller tour's. I mean, we dont call oscar perreiro sio a GT contender

PS:I'm sorry if my english writing isn't that good
 
Fair enough, there have been many riders who were promising as espoirs and never really delivered as pro's. It's just that Meyer has shown quite a bit of promise with two WC Points Race titles and now the Aus TT champs (ok Evans and Rogers weren't there but he still had some reasonable competition).

Wiggins did ride a pretty good TdF last year and he beat some handy riders when you stop and look at the riders from 5th to 10th. Thats why I referred to him as a contender even though I have a feeling he is going to be dropped by the very best riders at this years Tour.

Pereiro Sio was working for Valverde in 2007 - 2009 which is one reason why he isn't really seen as a contender. Potentially dangerous, but not a contender.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
There are some riders (i.e sicard, kritsky etc) you get the feeling will be a good GT rider down the road, Meyer has in no way made me feel this yet.

They're both long shots. Sicard's going to have to massively improve his all-round performance and learn to reign in that constant attacking style.

While Kritskiy is going to have to recover from his broken leg. It's been 6 months and he still hasn't ridden a single race.


That said, meyer's an even bigger long shot
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
Visit site
42x16ss said:
True, but Meyer was barely 21 at last years Giro and as JV said in his earlier post, only there for the experience.

On top of that, last year Meyer was more concerned about the Track Worlds where he was targeting the Points Race (which he won) and the Team Pursuit.
Which is why I won't entirelly rule out that it's possible for him to do it. Still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't shown any promise in GTs.

42x16ss said:
On another note; if Wigans can go from trackie to GT contender at nearly 30 years of age I'm sure that Meyer will be fine considering that he just turned 22!
Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean everyone else can. Hell, Wiggins and Meyers don't even do the same kind of Track riding. Fact is Wiggins has proven he can do well in a GT, Meyers ability in that regard is still a matter of unfounded speculation.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
Visit site
maikel said:
Age doesn't tell anything about the amount of talent someone can have, or the potential. Maybe it was always in it for Wiggins but he just never discovered it or worked hard enough for it. Atleast on the track he showed his potential in a way those young aussies still have to do.

Btw, why is Wiggins after one good tour called a GT contender? He has never showed in other GT's that he is or has won smaller tour's. I mean, we dont call oscar perreiro sio a GT contender

PS:I'm sorry if my english writing isn't that good

Wiggins is a GT contender because 4th is a solid ride at the tour...hence he is a GT contender. Pereiro was a solid top 10 and with good tactics got the win. Its not expected he'd get the same leeway again, hence is not a contender again. Also with the current crop and his form he is no longer even top 10.
 
issoisso said:
They're both long shots. Sicard's going to have to massively improve his all-round performance and learn to reign in that constant attacking style.

While Kritskiy is going to have to recover from his broken leg. It's been 6 months and he still hasn't ridden a single race.


That said, meyer's an even bigger long shot

Anyone who is yet to complete a GT is a long shot, aren't they?

On an off topic note, has a first-time GT rider ever won the GC of that race?
 
Cerberus said:
Which is why I won't entirelly rule out that it's possible for him to do it. Still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't shown any promise in GTs.

Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean everyone else can. Hell, Wiggins and Meyers don't even do the same kind of Track riding. Fact is Wiggins has proven he can do well in a GT, Meyers ability in that regard is still a matter of unfounded speculation.

Very true, this may all be premature hype. Similar speculations have been made before only for the rider in question to crash and burn.

However, Meyer has just won his third gold of the Track Worlds in the Madison, with one of his other golds coming in the Team Pursuit (not too unlike the Individual Pursuit, no?).

I'm more than prepared for "I told you so"s if Meyer does very poorly at the Giro this year. It's not like I'm expecting him to set the race alight but with his talent shown so far I won't be surprised if he has a strong showing in a break or two.

With cycling being a fringe sport in Australia and very little for fans to cheer about between Phil Anderson retiring and McKewen, O'Grady, Evans and Co coming along we tend to get a little carried away with our promising juniors. And we do have a few at the moment....
 

TRENDING THREADS