• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cameras on bikes!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aH1bn6yUI&sns=em

Three years ago, the UCI put the kibosh on the use of in-race cameras on riders’ bikes. Since then, the question of allowing them has been “under review.” But at the Tour of California, the UCI granted riders a special exemption to try them again. Several teams have been using Shimano’s yet-to-be-released CM-1000, shown here on the front of Giant-Shimano sprinter John Degenkolb’s Giant Propel. (Teammate Koen de Kort used one on his seatpost, facing back into the pack.) The CMOS sensor shoots full 1080p HD video and features multiple lens modes, including a mind-boggling 180-degree view setting. The result is pretty spectacular.

http://m.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new-bike-gear-previews/shimano-cm-1000-camera

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
Am I the only one who likes things as they are? Am I the only one that thinks the introdution of cameras on bikes will somewhat ruin the essence of the sport, at least when watched on TV?

What "essence" would that be?

Overhead shots blocked by trees?
Head-on, finish-line shots which completely skew the relative distance between riders?
Jittery broadcast directors who often don't know when to switch between the two?

Phil Liggett making the wrong call at the line? :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
From the articles they all had to be downloaded after the race. I saw the Stage 1 sprint of Degankolb (sp?) from the lead out and his point of view. 2 cameras download and edit for TV. the pictures were wide angle and they are jittery for obvious reasons. you can just see Cavendish as the video ends

Cameras on the bike, meh...OK, some things can be interesting.

But what we really want is LIVE data of stats, power/speed/HR etc...that the UCI also put the squash on as well 2 yrs ago.

Make teams reveal their data as well...that would be cool.

I've not seen the footage in question, but in a sprint with bikes swinging from side to side at a great rate of knots, I can't imagine any worthwhile footage.
Nor from the handlebar view if the rider is in the bunch on someone's wheel - would just be a bunch of butts filling the screen...

Archibald said:
I've not seen the footage in question, but in a sprint with bikes swinging from side to side at a great rate of knots, I can't imagine any worthwhile footage.
Nor from the handlebar view if the rider is in the bunch on someone's wheel - would just be a bunch of butts filling the screen...

The footage is not that bad actually. It's not perfect, but personally I was surprised at how nice it is. Its very clear, your not really starring right at their butts :), and its not too jittery. I wouldn't want to watch a whole race from this view (after a long while it could get nauseating), but I definitely enjoy watching the final sprints from this angle.

Check out the vid:

http://www.steephill.tv/players/vimeo720/?title=Bikecam+video+of+John+Degenkolb%27s+Stage+1+leadout+and+sprint&dashboard=tour-of-california&id=95181887&yr=2014

Many bikecam videos are available for viewing, But not from the UCI Pros!

These provide a unique viewing experience and an easy way to grow the sport.

This thread directly addresses this 'pro' aspect of bikecams and should not have been moved.

Jspear said:
The footage is not that bad actually. It's not perfect, but personally I was surprised at how nice it is. Its very clear, your not really starring right at their butts :), and its not too jittery. I wouldn't want to watch a whole race from this view (after a long while it could get nauseating), but I definitely enjoy watching the final sprints from this angle.

Check out the vid:

http://www.steephill.tv/players/vimeo720/?title=Bikecam+video+of+John+Degenkolb%27s+Stage+1+leadout+and+sprint&dashboard=tour-of-california&id=95181887&yr=2014

it's clear, sure, but when they're out of the saddle (just after the first bend in that footage) is what I mean - you could multiple that for a sprint finale - crazy viewing - and not for me

I'd love to have seen footage from a sprinter like McEwen though, watching him work his way through the peloton in the last 1-2kms would be pretty special!

Abdoujaparov, Frank Hoste and Tom Steels would have been pretty spectacular to watch as well :eek:

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I'd love to have seen footage from a sprinter like McEwen though, watching him work his way through the peloton in the last 1-2kms would be pretty special!:

Agreed...or a Cav in one of those sprints where he was forced to pick people's pockets.

42x16ss said:
I'd love to have seen footage from a sprinter like McEwen though, watching him work his way through the peloton in the last 1-2kms would be pretty special!

Abdoujaparov, Frank Hoste and Tom Steels would have been pretty spectacular to watch as well :eek:
Robbie has a couple of crits (Japan Cup, Noosa)
from 2012 on his YouTube channel, my friend.