• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Campagnolo cassette with Shimano wheel?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Byercycles in GB (not an online shop, you have to send them a snail-mail letter) sells what they call an "Evolution" Campagnolo-compatible cassette (apparently only 10-speed 12-28) which fits on Shimano wheels. Has anyone had experience with this? (Their website: http://www.byercycles.co.uk)
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Mavis make an M 10 cassett but it needs a mechanic to fit it who knowes exactly how to do that.
There are many on the web White industries and otheres but not as good as the real thing.
They work just about.but if you use them on one wheel and the genuine thing on another wheel you will need to adjust the indexing every time you change the wheel to make it line up.

Shimano free wheel is not as long as campy.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Mavis make an M 10 cassett but it needs a mechanic to fit it who knowes exactly how to do that.
There are many on the web White industries and otheres but not as good as the real thing.
They work just about.but if you use them on one wheel and the genuine thing on another wheel you will need to adjust the indexing every time you change the wheel to make it line up.

Shimano free wheel is not as long as campy.

No, the spacing is the same for the M10 cassette. Black spacers for Campy, yellow for Shimano. I jammed 9 cogs on a Classics pro Mavic hub with a Shimano hyper glide (I think) free hub. As long as you use the correct spacers no adjustment is needed. I put the 9 cogs on a Campy 10 (both Centaur and Record shifters) and it works ok. I just adjusted the large cog limit screw on the rear derailleur so I wouldn't shift into the spokes. Shifting is better with a Campy cassette but thats because of the cassette cogs, not the spacing.

I'm not a mechanic either but if you can have the patience to look at mechanical things you should have no problem DIY. You need a chain whip and cassette lockring removing nut obviously though.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Wasilij said:
Byercycles in GB (not an online shop, you have to send them a snail-mail letter) sells what they call an "Evolution" Campagnolo-compatible cassette (apparently only 10-speed 12-28) which fits on Shimano wheels. Has anyone had experience with this? (Their website: http://www.byercycles.co.uk)
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Just rode my Mavic M10 wheel again with Campy Record 10 Crank and Chorus RD on Shimano hub and freewheel body. No problem, shifts fine. M10 cassette comes with 12 single cogs. Mine came with 13-27. 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 25 23 and 27. I'm running 13-23 as a 9 speed.

Here's a decent buy.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/CSMAVIC.html?action=currency&id=USD

I recommend it.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
A week or two ago when out with a group, one guy had his rear rim explode. Totally unrepairable he begged a lift from a passing white van into a nearby town, (Maidenhead for UK readers). We met him at a LBS, DNA Cycles, where they were only able to sell him a wheel with a Shimano freehub. However, as he rides Campag, they supplied him with an Ambrosio cassette that fitted Shimano splines but had Campag spacing. Worked a treat!