• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Campy Chain tool question

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've never tried it before, since I have both chain tools at work and have never needed to use the "wrong" tool for the job. To be honest I can't see why it wouldn't work, but give me till tomorrow to test it so I don't give you bad information and I'll get back to you.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
yes the 11 tool works fine for the 10.
tried it vice versa and it is a very fine fit. enough that wont try it again.

anyone recall when they brought out 9speed and the talk was of the engineering becoming too fine and the chain would snap!

love to see Boonans bike with super record at last years worlds 11 straight thru- a work of art

Race Radio said:
I know you are supposed to use the new tool for the 11 chain, but will this same tool work on a 10 chain? I assume yes.

Unfortunately no. The 10s chain won't fit between the little guides of the 11s tool. Just for info, I saw a really neat Pedros chaintool yesterday, going to be introduced at Interbike, for all chains including a doohicky that mushrooms the end of the 11s chain pin ala Campagnolo but $45 retail.

Race Radio said:
I know you are supposed to use the new tool for the 11 chain, but will this same tool work on a 10 chain? I assume yes.

Don't think it will since the 11s chain is such a tight fit between the guides of the 11s tool but..

Saw a Pedros chain tool yesterday, going to be introduced at Interbike. Works on all chains, 8s->11s with a attachment for the mushrooming of the 11s pin..$45 retail.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Saw a Pedros chain tool yesterday, going to be introduced at Interbike. Works on all chains, 8s->11s with a attachment for the mushrooming of the 11s pin..$45 retail.

OOOOh, Me like Pedros. Need to get one of those. $45 is much less then $160

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Park just introduced a peening tool for 11 speed chains. The park CT-4.2 is used to set the pin or remove it and that tool works with all chains except wipperman. The CT-?? tool is then required to peen the connecting pin after it is inserted. Campy's chain tool does both jobs and I see that Pedros is making their own solution. The Campy tool is so expensive I think it gets pro shop duty only. Even I don't own one of those. :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Park just introduced a peening tool for 11 speed chains. The park CT-4.2 is used to set the pin or remove it and that tool works with all chains except wipperman. The CT-?? tool is then required to peen the connecting pin after it is inserted. Campy's chain tool does both jobs and I see that Pedros is making their own solution. The Campy tool is so expensive I think it gets pro shop duty only. Even I don't own one of those. :rolleyes:

Here is the Pedros tool. Looks like it does everything
http://www.pedros.com/evolver.htm

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wipperman

I use wipperman chains and quick links, so my ancient chain tool is only needed for taking links out when needed.... And I can easily take off my chain for cleaning, etc whenever I want to. No $45 chain tool needed. The wipperman chains (10 speed) seem to last a lot longer than the Campy's. Don't know if the (wipperman) make 11-speed yet.

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
Wipperman 11 Link

No 11 speed link from wipperman yet, in fact they have not yet made the right size link for 10 speed Campagnolo Ultra Narrow.

Take a look at the KMC missinglink it's 5.88 wide and works better than the Wipperman.

Cliveds said:
No 11 speed link from wipperman yet, in fact they have not yet made the right size link for 10 speed Campagnolo Ultra Narrow.

Take a look at the KMC missinglink it's 5.88 wide and works better than the Wipperman.

Wipperman has had the proper sized quick link for Campagnolo ultra 10s chains for almost 3 years. Same one as for any 10s chain since they are all 5.9mm.

Wipperman says they are 'close' to a 11s chain and hence, a quick link. InMy experience, Campagnolo and shimano 10s chains are the most durable, long lasting. shimano are a bunch cheaper and I have used a shimano 10s 105 level chain on many Campagnolo 10s systems with great success.

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
I know it's supposed to be the right size for Campagnolo Ultra narrow but a few times i have installed for customers and one time used on my own bike you can feel it pass through on the 11 and 12 cog.

At first I thought it might have been installed upside down but it was not, switched it to upside down just for the hell and it was worse.

Cliveds said:
I know it's supposed to be the right size for Campagnolo Ultra narrow but a few times i have installed for customers and one time used on my own bike you can feel it pass through on the 11 and 12 cog.

At first I thought it might have been installed upside down but it was not, switched it to upside down just for the hell and it was worse.

Not sure why but I have sold dozens w/o any problem. As you know, if a customer has a problem with something they buy, you'll hear about it!!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Cliveds said:

I have had a similar issue, however I feel it in the higher gears. At first it feels fine but after a few months it chews thru the cassette.