• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can anybody recommend a decent road bike for about £500/$800

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Can anybody recommend a decent road bike for about £500/$800

I am looking to buy my first road bike and don't want to spend too much on it, can you please give me some recommendations thank you.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My advice for that money is to go 2nd hand. You can pick up a nice bike for that 2nd hand vs what you'd get new. But if new is for you then

Just make sure it has STI levers, clipless pedals and is sub 9kg's or so. A lot of what you pay for in the more expensive bikes is the carbon fibre frame/forks. My personal opinion is that most of the shimano gruppo's work great, even at the cheaper end. And the weight diff isn't so bad. You may need to get some no name Asian made frame, but stick with Shimano gruppo.

Also if you have a choice, go light with anything that turns, eg pedals, crankset, etc. Better to have a heavier frame, seat post, etc than heavier rotating parts as it takes more effort to turn heavier parts vs if they are in the frame.

At the amateur level if your going to win a bike race, your going to do it regardless of whether your on a sub 7kg bike or a sub 10kg.

TRENDING THREADS