• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Garmin turn Le Mével into a TDF top 5 rider?

Can Garmin turn Le Mével into a top 5 TDF rider?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Can Garmin turn Le Mével into a TDF top 5 rider?

Garmin have a pretty good track record of getting riders into the top ten of the TDF:

CVV - 5th in 2008, 8th in 2009
Wiggins - 4th in 2009
Hesjedal - 7th in 2010

None of them screamed GT GC rider before they produced their quality TDF performance. Now Le Mével is 29/30, so younger than CVV, and the same age as Hesjedal, and has produced a top ten performance. So the question is, will joining Garmin enable Le Mével to become a top 5 TDF rider?

I don't think any of us think he can win a GT but will joining Garmin improve his 2009 performance and maybe provide the French with a top 5 GC rider?

Mrs John Murphy said:
Garmin have a pretty good track record of getting riders into the top ten of the TDF:

Wiggins - 4th in 2009
Hesjedal - 7th in 2010

None of them screamed GT GC rider before they produced their quality TDF performance. Now Le Mével is 29/30, so younger than CVV, and the same age as Hesjedal, and has produced a top ten performance. So the question is, will joining Garmin enable Le Mével to become a top 5 TDF rider?

I don't think any of us think he can win a GT but will joining Garmin improve his 2009 performance and maybe provide the French with a top 5 GC rider?

As much as I would like to see a French rider competing gamely against the elite climbers in the Tour, I have feeling that there is some type of mental block with the French riders, maybe an inferiority complex/lack of confidence that limits them when crunch time comes and the proverbial sh!t hits the fan in the mountains. I can't remember the last time a French rider has been able to regularly climb with the big boys. Virenque gave it up to pursue the KOM after he realized he had no chance of ever winning the Tour.

Angliru said:
As much as I would like to see a French rider competing gamely against the elite climbers in the Tour, I have feeling that there is some type of mental block with the French riders, maybe an inferiority complex/lack of confidence that limits them when crunch time comes and the proverbial sh!t hits the fan in the mountains. I can't remember the last time a French rider has been able to regularly climb with the big boys. Virenque gave it up to pursue the KOM after he realized he had no chance of ever winning the Tour.

Which is why I wonder if moving to a non-French team might be the best move for him and might help him get over the mental block.

I mean if Garmin can get a top ten out of CVV, Wiggins and RH, then they can get a top ten out of pretty much every one (except Danielson). Wiggins wasn't a really a noted climber till 2009.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:

Sicard is coming... give him some years and we will have a french podium contender!

Mrs John Murphy said:

Wiggins - 4th in 2009
Hesjedal - 7th in 2010

Interesting post. Hesjedal hasn't been such a surprise (but a surprise) but it does get you thinking what Garmin has really done to bring these guys on. Maybe nothing in the sense that CVV was a talent only unleashed for the first time as a team leader under Garmin and Wiggo only started taking the road seriously last year (and the route suited).

I'm not sure of Le Mevel's story this year at the race but the talent is there but can't see top 5 ever even with the Garmin magic sponge. So No.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I don't see how just changing teams will transform but a rider, but Garmin has been successful at transorming riders, so...maybe there is something.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hesjedal wasn't really transformed he was always talented as a climber. he rode with rabo u23 and vuelta 2006 he climed very well until he crashed out. vandevelde same thing kind of. he was just always crashing (and has since) and he had a gluten intolerance which was a huge factor in improving his results.

ferryman said:
Interesting post. Hesjedal hasn't been such a surprise (but a surprise) but it does get you thinking what Garmin has really done to bring these guys on. Maybe nothing in the sense that CVV was a talent only unleashed for the first time as a team leader under Garmin and Wiggo only started taking the road seriously last year (and the route suited).

I'm not sure of Le Mevel's story this year at the race but the talent is there but can't see top 5 ever even with the Garmin magic sponge. So No.

The thing that might help Le Mevel is the TTT, we've seen in previous years how it can take out riders on weaker teams in terms of the GC.

The rumours of the TDF route for next year have it as not much climbing in the Pyrenees. So maybe the route might suit him. Plus he'll be on a stronger team than he was at FDJ.

I think it is a very intriguing signing by Garmin, and an interesting move from Le Mevel since very few French riders seem to sign for teams outside of France or Belgium.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well lets see what program is Garmin to offer to Le Mevel? I really want that He can make a step up in the GC for France... My roots begs for that...!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Le Mevel can make the Top 5.
He needs a terrible lot of luck, but I think Garmin will help him in that aspect, they are simply so much stronger than FDJ. If Le Mevel can get into a Pereiro-Break, he will definitely make the Top 5. But, alas, he will never win. Sadly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts