• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can greipel hold onto the jersey over Wilunga Hill

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I really dont know where Willunga hill gets its rep from. Its not as hard a climb as Wickams hill which the riders went over on thursday, and there is a long run into the finish where riders can chase back on (as Davis did last year).

Saturdays stage on paper is nowhere near as difficult as Thursdays and Griepel finnished in the buch with little effort... Why would he get dropped?

Infact I think the climb from Mylor to Aldgate that was in Thursdays stage is as difficult as Willunga hill and they had to go over it three times.. with no KOM points!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
I don't think he'll win the stage, but the HTC boys will kill themselves to make sure he finishes in the front bunch. So my answer is YES.

If hes in the bunch why wount he win the stage? I suspect that he could have won in Stirls but was "just following wheels" to save energy. He wont need to save anything for after the stage as no one will touch him on sunday.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
I really dont know where Willunga hill gets its rep from. Its not as hard a climb as Wickams hill which the riders went over on thursday, and there is a long run into the finish where riders can chase back on (as Davis did last year).

Saturdays stage on paper is nowhere near as difficult as Thursdays and Griepel finnished in the buch with little effort... Why would he get dropped?

Infact I think the climb from Mylor to Aldgate that was in Thursdays stage is as difficult as Willunga hill and they had to go over it three times.. with no KOM points!

Have you ever watched the Wilunga stage? They go crazy on it! pat jonker reckons that valverde with caisse, lloyd with op lotto and evans with bmc will split up the race and will lose the jersey!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Important question is, can Tim Roe get his KoM jersey back?

Either that or we'll just make one for him. He got max points on one of the KOMs today but I think he did fall further behind overall. Kemp may be in with a shot.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Have you ever watched the Wilunga stage? They go crazy on it! pat jonker reckons that valverde with caisse, lloyd with op lotto and evans with bmc will split up the race and will lose the jersey!

ha ha ha ha ha.......

Like Lloyed attacking last year with Nutstrong? question is have you ever actually watched and understood a bike race?

I could also tell you a few other things that Pat reckons.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
53 x 11 said:

Wickhams Hill is half way through a stage, Willunga is near the end and they do it twice.
I’m picking there are a few riders capable of getting away from Greipel and potentially winning the overall from him.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
Wickhams Hill is half way through a stage, Willunga is near the end and they do it twice.
I’m picking there are a few riders capable of getting away from Greipel and potentially winning the overall from him.

maybe if it was June there would be but it is not. I'm not saying that its impossable, just it is very unlikely.

Like I said before the Mylor climb is nearly as tough as Willunga and was closer to the finnish (which was also a lot tougher)..what happened on that stage? Hmmmmm?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I think he can. He might not have the sprint finish left, but I think like on stage 3 he'll not lose (too much) time, even if he can't take the stage.

Agreed. Andre might be a big boy, but it is not like he hasn't held on over bigger hills before, and as pointed out above, he had no problems on the earlier stages' hills or two years ago when he won. One a slightly different note why does Ligget hold such a grudge against Greipel, always saying he won't stay in Ochre/Isn't as strong as everyone thinks and talking up Gert etc. Is this just to try and put down the G.C. leader on orders from Phramstrong Inc or something more? I've always liked Greipel dispite nationality ties to the Cav

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Agreed. Andre might be a big boy, but it is not like he hasn't held on over bigger hills before, and as pointed out above, he had no problems on the earlier stages' hills or two years ago when he won. One a slightly different note why does Ligget hold such a grudge against Greipel, always saying he won't stay in Ochre/Isn't as strong as everyone thinks and talking up Gert etc. Is this just to try and put down the G.C. leader on orders from Phramstrong Inc or something more? I've always liked Greipel dispite nationality ties to the Cav

He's not on Armstrong's team. It's quite that simple. For example he spent years calling Leipheimer an also ran who only followed wheels. The moment he and Armstrong were on the same team, Leipheimer is suddenly "an elite racer".

It's Liggett. Don't expect sense.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
A lot more teams and riders who can climb are in this edition compared to 2008, which means it will be harder for greipel. Much harder and faster...

I agree. I guess teams like BMC, Caisse d'Epargne and RadioShack will split it big time on Willunga hill.

I suppose he's (Greipel) still the favourite, but I really look forward for some exciting bike racing.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
In 2008 it looks like LL Sanchez and David Moncoutie escaped on the climb, got 10", but were caught before the descent by a smallish group containing Greipel. There was that stage at the Vuelta last year, 11? Hilly-ish, I think that looked like an opportunity to lose him, but he was there to contest the sprint (Farrar won).

Maybe someone who's out of the GC will be let away. How about another stage for Manuel Cardoso? He got fifth yesterday.

I know it isn't the same, but he won last year in Philly. I saw him get up and over the wall 10 times without any problems even when the riders really started to get going, so I have no doubt that he can at least keep the jersey on Saturday.

taiwan said:
In 2008 it looks like LL Sanchez and David Moncoutie escaped on the climb, got 10", but were caught before the descent by a smallish group containing Greipel. There was that stage at the Vuelta last year, 11? Hilly-ish, I think that looked like an opportunity to lose him, but he was there to contest the sprint (Farrar won).

Maybe someone who's out of the GC will be let away. How about another stage for Manuel Cardoso? He got fifth yesterday.

Wasn't there only one pass of Willunga in 2008? (or was that the first year going over twice).

There was also an early stage in the Vuelta where they went over the same climb twice (Cat 3?) around 10-20km from the finish and he ended in the bunch.

All it breaks down to is whether or not the strong men want to attack, so it's not really in Greipel's hands. Surely a Valverde group could get 20-30s break and he would take the sprint which would almost be enough.

Actually though I just checked todays confirmed results, and Valverde lost 17s??? Evans is probably the only one capable then, but I don't think he'd initiate an attack.

I back down then, Greipel remains in Ochre.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
When Griepel won at Wilunga it was only 1 time he had to go other it. This time their is two! Plus their are more teams interested in trying to split it up and their are more climbers in this years edition! Some BMC riders and lelangue have said that they will be riding for evans. Matt White said they will try to split it up

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
When Griepel won at Wilunga it was only 1 time he had to go other it. This time their is two! Plus their are more teams interested in trying to split it up and their are more climbers in this years edition! Some BMC riders and lelangue have said that they will be riding for evans. Matt White said they will try to split it up

This might seem trollish, but please pay us the courtesy of simple spell checking. It's annoying having to read a sentence 3 times over to make sense of it. To everyone else, sorry for ranting.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zerak-Tul said:
This might seem trollish, but please pay us the courtesy of simple spell checking. It's annoying having to read a sentence 3 times over to make sense of it. To everyone else, sorry for ranting.

I haev one tihng to sya to yuo!

loser-219x300.jpg
(The arrow is pointing at you)

Does it really matter?

TRENDING THREADS