• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

can LA win Leadville this year??

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
"CAN" he?? uh....yea. WILL he, not sure but he most defintely can. He finished second by only a few minutes and they BOTH broke the previous record by something like 30 minutes I think. He hung with the #1 guy the whole time and then at the end said "go on, I don't have it".

I am guess ing he has "it" this year.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Sure he can

He's got far more miles in his legs this year, and those miles are of far higher quality. I'm guessing that Levi won't be ready to ride with him as planned, they would have been formidable together.

The question is, will Lance's presence be better for the Leadville 100 (present and future), or will this race lose a little of what has made it so special?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
His participation in last years race gave the race a huge boost, in terms of visibility.

But I'm predicting a mountain biker will win, and it won't be Wiens. The competition will be tougher this year, I'm hoping and guessing. I remember when Lance did his first mtb race, after his first tour win. I think he went over the bars at least twice.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
It would be a shame to see the race taken over by LA's "celebrity".

It's always been way below the radar of mainstream media which suits the town's personality just fine.

+1. One more race that the smaller riders won't have a chance to win.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ProTour said:
His participation in last years race gave the race a huge boost, in terms of visibility.

But I'm predicting a mountain biker will win, and it won't be Wiens. The competition will be tougher this year, I'm hoping and guessing. I remember when Lance did his first mtb race, after his first tour win. I think he went over the bars at least twice.

Would love to see Wiens take it again...even sweeter than last year since LA does have all those miles in his legs now.

However I have to agree with you that it will likely draw some big guns in the mtb marathon/endurance out to the race...it'd be cool for one of them to win it.

Eva Maria said:
He should win huge. At least 30 minutes faster then last year.

I don't know if another large breaking of the record is possible.

They smashed the record by a large margin last year because they rode the powerline ascent which had never been done before (never during the race AFAIK). That's the only "unrideable" section of the course...

Well it's still unrideable for 99.9% of humans! If you've never done the course and plan to... do not expect to ride this section.

he_man said:
think LA wins Leadville this year after 2nd place last year//

Sorry mate but who fückin' cares ?

IMHO this thread is in the complete wrong section or I'm wrong ?!? :rolleyes:

2750280605_b48c64848d.jpg

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
I don't know if another large breaking of the record is possible.

They smashed the record by a large margin last year because they rode the powerline ascent which had never been done before (never during the race AFAIK). That's the only "unrideable" section of the course...

Well it's still unrideable for 99.9% of humans! If you've never done the course and plan to... do not expect to ride this section.

As a finisher I bow to your superior knowledge....and fitness.

I think more riders will ride powerline. Over the last few years the weight of full suspension bikes has come down a bunch, most of the top guys rode hard tails in the past as it is a fireroad race. I expect to see many more full's this year, which will help a ton on the descents as well as powerline. Armstrong used a full last year and actually dropped Weins on the descents, Lance had to wait for him.

Leadville has 14,000 feet of climbing. Armstrong's VAM is at least 15% better then last year, This should mean for just the climbing portion he could gain 30-40 minutes. The downside is he will be alone on the return. Having Weins to work with helped a bunch last year.

Leadville has been on my list for years. If sucks that it just got so much harder to get into with the increased exposure. On the good side it may encourage more races like it.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
ProTour said:

I saw Lance at that race, Mt. Snow Vermont. He did great. I think he finished 2nd or 3rd. He will win Leadville with ease this year.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
he_man said:
think LA wins Leadville this year after 2nd place last year//

I guess he's looking for a second trophy to put next to his Nevada City Crit trophy.

Tell me again how riding a little covered race like the Leadville 100 raises cancer awareness?

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Why is this in here

Why again is the LA/Leadville discussion in the Professional Road Racing section? This thread has been going on for a while over in the MTB section. Gonna see if I can get it moved over there.

One thing people are not mentioning is the climate aspects and how they will affect this years race. Colorado has been much wetter than in years past. High country clay turns a bike into an unrideable 50 pound rig.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Turd Ferguson said:
Why again is the LA/Leadville discussion in the Professional Road Racing section? This thread has been going on for a while over in the MTB section. Gonna see if I can get it moved over there.

There is a MTB section?:)

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Is it some kind of a special race where no pro moutainbikers can race?
Or what's the story? Is it an easy course (wide roads)?
I thought MTB requires a lot more than climbing ability.

TRENDING THREADS