• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Landa win the Giro?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
because he won the stage today after dropping AC on the top .. and oh yea.. after getting ahead start due to Contador's puncture? I don't see him winning any GT in the future. He hasn't shown a flash like Aru or Quintana, or even Majka for that matter. He just happened to have a good form and luck have been on his side. Until, he could drop Froome, Contador on an equal footing .. and match Quintana.. yeah.. maybe he has it in him. So far, I only see him as another super domestique on another team. This year, the stars just happen to all aligned for him.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I agree that Landa has looked as strong as Contador when they're climbing, but i haven't seen Contador in any kind of trouble when Landa have accelerated in previous stages. Some of the times he had to stop because of Aru, but Contador easily followed his accelerations. On the other side, I haven't seen Landa in any trouble either when Contador have attacked. Only at stage 4, where e actually lost around 40 seconds at that stage.

Maybe only on the first MTF in the first week before Contador crashed.

Funny to think about... Why wasn't Landa so strong there at stage 4?

I think it is understandable to ask the question, but I think Landa made a sensible comment himself on the point: if he had been leader, he might be even further down. It's one thing to ride with zero pressure, it's another to bear the weight of leadership.

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Down 4:00 to AC with 4 stages to go? Well, yeah, he could win, but it is very unlikely. If you want to try to quantify the odds, the bookies say something like AC 1/14 and Landa 16/1. Chapeau to Landa for picking up the ball after Porte, Aru, and Uran dropped it, but the GC is all but over.

lol.. I don't think so.
Contador should take the foot off the pedal completely now and conserve for the tour.
in the last few stages he doesn't really even need to try, just take the foot off the gas and even lose minutes.

he could even crack like Aru did and still stay in the lead.

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

ad9898 said:
Can Landa win the Giro ? I certainly hope not. From a guy who lost 7mins to Quintana and Aru last year to a guy who races like Riis in '96 and puts nearly 40 seconds into Contador, racing for a team that should not have been allowed to race due to shall we say 'issues'. Let's seriously hope he doesn't.

All stage winners go under controls. As far as he is clean no one can't say anything.

Regarding the main topic, recovering 4 minutes from this Contador may be a "mission impossible". Surely he can secure the 2ndplace podium and maybe help Aru preserve his 3rd.

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Landa can win Giro. If actually things go right for Contador and he and Landa can start climb equally (on same group without any previous issues on same stage) then Contador will surely beat Landa in my opinion.

why all this Astana hate, come on its not like they are the only dodgy team around?
How about Sky progress over the years.

This Giro would have been a borefest without them really? thats my view.

Anyway back to subject can Landa win?
Yes why not strongest climber, has had potentional maybe he is just hitting his prime ? it might be shortlived but give him credit for attacking and winning.
As for Astana playing their cards wrong how? Aru was the best last year for the team.

Re:

Stilletto said:
why all this Astana hate, come on its not like they are the only dodgy team around?
How about Sky progress over the years.

not the only dodgy team, but the most dodgy.

on a separate issue, if landa was in this form, how likely would he be to win the tour given a free reign, and the fact that there are only minimal km of TT?

I apologies for the rule breaking but people who have something to say about Dodgy team should take it to the Clinic there you can view all you sarcastic commets about this one must be on that kind of drug because he is beating my favourite rider... bohooooooo
Grow a pair!!
Cycling is full of ups and downs, i have never wrode amateur or professional but i imagine as a Professional athlete who pedals for 5-7 hours 200 days or so a year the slightest non-optimal preparation can play havoc to you performance!

Lets just enjoy a race without moaning about dodgy team here.

TAKE IT TO THE CLINIC

Re:

Stilletto said:
I apologies for the rule breaking but people who have something to say about Dodgy team should take it to the Clinic there you can view all you sarcastic commets about this one must be on that kind of drug because he is beating my favourite rider... bohooooooo
Grow a pair!!
Cycling is full of ups and downs, i have never wrode amateur or professional but i imagine as a Professional athlete who pedals for 5-7 hours 200 days or so a year the slightest non-optimal preparation can play havoc to you performance!

Lets just enjoy a race without moaning about dodgy team here.

TAKE IT TO THE CLINIC

You admonish people 'for not taking it to the clinic' yet you imply SKY are dodgy
Talking about hypocritical...

thank God i have the Oxford dictionary in work so i can find out what admonish means........

Anyway if ya want to discuss take it to the Clinic
this thread is about a young guy so far not caught (but tested) for illegal substances in the form of his life and all people do is speculate about his pill popping behaviours due to his team Astana.
Maybe its not the sport that needs to change maybe its all the jealous fans (who in fairness has been let down by individuals and teams who have cheated in the past) who everytime their golden boy fails cry foul play.

Or is this just Skybot behaviour?
;)

PS wonder what would have happened if i said Novo Nordisk instead of SKY would anyone have cared ?
maybe then i wouldnt have been called a
The common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius), or hippo, is a large, mostly herbivorous mammal in sub-Saharan Africa,

;)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Jelantik said:
because he won the stage today after dropping AC on the top .. and oh yea.. after getting ahead start due to Contador's puncture? I don't see him winning any GT in the future. He hasn't shown a flash like Aru or Quintana, or even Majka for that matter. He just happened to have a good form and luck have been on his side. Until, he could drop Froome, Contador on an equal footing .. and match Quintana.. yeah.. maybe he has it in him. So far, I only see him as another super domestique on another team. This year, the stars just happen to all aligned for him.

Quintana aside, but hasn't shown flashes like Aru and Majka?! How come? What they did which Landa didn't?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Mr.White said:
Jelantik said:

Quintana aside, but hasn't shown flashes like Aru and Majka?! How come? What they did which Landa didn't?
Yeah, Landa has a case for being the best climber in a GT. Neither Aru nor Majka have ever been that.

I hope so, and I think so, and I know he must be thinking that. I thought that last years as well, becouse he was stronger than Aru on Trentino and Nibali said that Landa would be very dangerous in the Giro, but Landa crashed, and lost time, he had a similar Giro that Porte this year, and he was just working for Aru, taking bottles of the car and things like that, helping some days in the mountains.

I think that with the help of Aru, 4 minutes is not too much with a difficult stage, the Queen stage of this Giro, Cervinia, and another, long as well, with Finestre.

But Contador is strong, he has an strong team, he hasexperience and if he is clever he can lose time but never the Giro.

But I know Alberto quite well, he dont want anybody said Landa was stronger at the end of the Giro, maybe Landa climb always better than him all the Giro, and he wanst unleashed, Alberto is really competitive, he dont like never lose, so he will try that Landa dont take any time, or just a little that he can said, there were 2 againts 1, but he is not lo allow Landa put more than 1 minute on him any day, so that is the only thing that could make Alberto lose, his ambition... but Landa now, climbs stronger than Alberto, and with 2 stage like that at the end of the Giro, Landa is going to put time, I am sure 4 minutes? I dream with that, difficult, of course, but posssible, Savoldelli losed only in Finestre stage 2 minutes, and although Landa and Contador are climbing clearly slower than Pantani, Tonkov, Gotti, and those people, differences are going the same or more, becouse in Mortirolo stage, the 18th was at more than 10 minutes.

Of course is alberto has again some problem as punctures, crash,...easier...

Landa has had very bad luck along his career, the same as Urán, but This Giro everything is perfect for him, no crash, no bad luck, perfect shape, no pressure, just help, quite protected, work a little, strong team, hight motivation.. the only problem, and ITT too long, but a GT must be like that, and he did a decent ITT, and well, it would be better he were free before today, but it is normal how things has happend, Aru deserved that leadership so far..

Majka? Oh my good, he is a bad climber compared when Landa is fine. There is not point of comparation.. he can be compared to Pinot, Quintana, Aru, those guys of his incredible generation of climbers, but with Majka?

Majka had some good days last year in the Tour after to have a good Giro, but in that Giro he was worse than Aru, and Aru this year is as strong or more than last year, and Landa is stronger. Majka is better in TT, that is true, but no more.

I think you are discounting the fact that Majka had bad food poisoning (or other stomach sickness, I am not sure) during the third week of Giro.
He was climbing with the best and had great TT prior to that. And he was as strong as Pinot in the Tour. I am expecting big things from him this Tour and think we will finally see him climbing with the best. I would like to see a top 10 from him, maybe higher if he doesn't have to set the pace too often. The beginning of the season was worrying but I think he will be fine by the TdF

TRENDING THREADS