• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Latour win Le Tour thread

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Pierre Latour thread

Ag2r La Mondiale's Pierre Latour is one of the great French hopes for the future. He had a fantastic neo-pro season and today moved into the lead at the Tour de Suisse.

"I knew he was a very good rider but, to be honest, I did not expect him to do so well in stage races in his first year." —Julien Jurdie

-Stage 4, Tour de l'Ain

latour_670.jpg

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I won't be starting new rider threads in a while, seeing as some forum members there might be too many, but I really think this one was necessary considering Latour's quality and recent performances.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Pierre Latour thread

Thanks a lot for starting this thread, so I can make this public service announcement:

It is Pierre Latour!

It is NOT Pierre-Roger. The 'Roger' was introduced by a rogue race official a few years back. It is not actually his first name.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Bardet v.2 (probably more talented) with Mollema aesthetics. I am torn, but I guess I have to like him now, don't I?

I like riders who have 'ugly' styles, it makes them more human, seeing them suffering badly on the bike. Anyone who has done any endurance sport at any level, knows that any decorum goes out the window when you are donald ducked, so to see the professionals do it makes them more 'human.'

Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bardet v.2 (probably more talented) with Mollema aesthetics. I am torn, but I guess I have to like him now, don't I?

I like riders who have 'ugly' styles, it makes them more human, seeing them suffering badly on the bike. Anyone who has done any endurance sport at any level, knows that any decorum goes out the window when you are donald ducked, so to see the professionals do it makes them more 'human.'
I've for some reasons always come to love the Klödens, Rollands, A. Schlecks etc. of the worlds and I despite Mollema and everything he stands for, but Latour is an interesting prospect for sure. For some strange reason I like Aru very much despite he isn't exactly super aesthetic to look at, its weird.

I suppose he goes on the Vuelta, but what's in between - Osterreich, Poland, or full Vuelta-mode only with Burgos?

Great that the thread got started, otherwise I was going to do it. Pierre Latour has been on the radar for 3-4 years now, he exhibits some serious all-around skills, excellent climber, and his upside is huge. It's no surprise, really, he'll be a factor in the years to come. The only question is: how good/great can he be?

Kazistuta said:
Cannibal72 said:
Thanks a lot for starting this thread, so I can make this public service announcement:

It is Pierre Latour!

It is NOT Pierre-Roger. The 'Roger' was introduced by a rogue race official a few years back. It is not actually his first name.

So his own team doesn't even know his real name?

http://www.cyclisme.ag2rlamondiale.fr/fr/equipe/153-pierre-roger-latour-2
Yes, believe it or not, that's actually true :D

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Kazistuta said:
Cannibal72 said:

It is Pierre Latour!

So his own team doesn't even know his real name?

http://www.cyclisme.ag2rlamondiale.fr/fr/equipe/153-pierre-roger-latour-2
"Roger" appears to be his middle name, but a French Cycling Federation official once thought it was part of his first name and attached both with a hyphen.

It's like calling Lance Armstrong "Lance-Edward Armstrong".

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Latour is really an interesting prospect : Bardet recently said that in training he was starting to put up numbers very very close to his. I don't know how good he can be, There is potential there as an all around GC guy but really we will only start getting an idea once he gets a first GT under his belt. He will do the Vuelta this year as a N°2 leader, like Bardet did the Tour in 2013. We will see how it goes. But clearly he is poised to be the successor of Péraud as GT co-leader for years to come at AG2R. Great little prospect.

It will be interesting to see how hard he can fight in this TDS : Can he manage a top 3, a top 5 or a top 10 or will he crack ? My bet would be that he ends up hovering around a top 5 finish. It would be great to stay inside the top 5 though.

Eddy Armstrong, huh? I bet that he once believed it :D ...

Pierre Latour has to climb another step to be dangerous in a GC situation. At the CI, he was the best of the rest, but the field was weak. I don't expect much in GCs from him until maybe next ear or '18. But he'll record quality wins and tons of fans: he (and Gougeard) are really fearless.

Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Valv.Piti said:
First things first: get on the Pinot bandwagon and then we'll see :D .
Neveeeeeeeeeer :D

I'm telling you you'll regret it when Thibaut wins the GT Treble.

Even if, NO. Never joining the dark side feat. Thibaut and Tonton. :D

How will the kid fare today? I have a feeling he will have a pretty hard time today..

NVM then, abandon?

Re:

roundabout said:
He is a fighter, but I also think that his stop-start style makes it look like he works harder than the rest

He looked on his limit even before he first caught up to Atapuma. No idea how deep his reserves must be. He may simply be another horrific sufferer like Aru.