• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Somebody Teach Soler How to Ride a Bike Please?

i wonder how much of it is because they said he only started riding when he was 17 or 18. so whereas all the other riders have developed their skills years and years ago, he is comparatively newer than them on the bike. i hope thats it so that he can develop them in the future because he was fantastic to watch a couple years ago in the tour

aarnold517 said:
i wonder how much of it is because they said he only started riding when he was 17 or 18. so whereas all the other riders have developed their skills years and years ago, he is comparatively newer than them on the bike. i hope thats it so that he can develop them in the future because he was fantastic to watch a couple years ago in the tour
That's what I thought too. He just picked up a bike for a race around his town and he Kicked some a$$. Once he became a part of the European peloton the problems began. Certainly there must be a solution to it. The coach in the team should help in this regard.

He can just give up on the GC hopes and maybe loose 2-3 minutes per stage during 10 stages. You can add 8-10 minutes lost on Time Trials. Maybe gain 4 minutes in a break and still have possibilities for a top 10 or 15, but at least you could win a stage and the king of the mountains competition.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm amazed that nobody hasn't pulled Soler aside and just worked with Soler on his bike handling skills. Or if the have, it hasn't worked much. I started cycling properly when I turned 19 and one of the first things people did were to make to make my bike handling skills improved.

craig1985 said:
I'm amazed that nobody hasn't pulled Soler aside and just worked with Soler on his bike handling skills. Or if the have, it hasn't worked much. I started cycling properly when I turned 19 and one of the first things people did were to make to make my bike handling skills improved.

The team should force him to ride cyclocross in the off season.

I sure hope not. I was thrilled about his time in the TT because it was the first time that I could ever thing of that I could actually beat a pro in a race. I know that he had a bum knee, but please don't take that away from me:D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
its not purely the bike handling training that he lacks. in my experience you can give many riders the same training and experience and some will be good bike handlers some average and some bad nothing will change this. we all know some people are just clumsy period i know a few riders like that they literally will crash for no reason or panic for no reason as well. like vo2 max hand eye quordination is genetic for the most part.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
It's interesting. I'm glad he can still be a pro with those skills missing. Probably trained alone through the coke plantations as a kid and started bunch riding way too late :) I Hear David Moncoutié can't ride with his hands off the bars!!:eek:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
It's interesting. I'm glad he can still be a pro with those skills missing. Probably trained alone through the coke plantations as a kid and started bunch riding way too late :) I Hear David Moncoutié can't ride with his hands off the bars!!:eek:

I don't know about now, but when he first turned professional he actually had to stop on the descent when he got to the top of a mountain (read Tourmalet etc.) to put his jacket on.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Alex Zulle is his personal bike handling skills coach

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
you must be either Tom Boonen, Laurent Fignon or a coke addict-since only a narrowed pityful & ignorant mind like yours can only bring such a stupid comment like that:mad::mad:

f*ck off!!!

I actually laughed my head off at that comment!

Joey_J said:
Alex Zulle is his personal bike handling skills coach

Zulle had an excuse. He was practically blind.

He could get Hamilton as his coach. I remember reading an account of racing with Hamilton before he went to Europe. During a time trial on smooth road, Hamilton roars past this guy, just fast as hell. The guy looks up the road a hundred meters or so and sees a single rock in the middle of the road. Then he watches as Hamilton proceeds to hit it and crash.

Some people don't seem to be as aware of what is going on around them as the average bear.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
you must be either Tom Boonen, Laurent Fignon or a coke addict-since only a narrowed pityful & ignorant mind like yours can only bring such a stupid comment like that:mad::mad:

f*ck off!!!

Dude Chill out!

Whats wrong with what I said??
I'm not saying Soler's a doper or anything. I'm just saying Colombias where coke comes from and Soler too. wtf ??

I'm sorry if I touched your tender spot. I really dont understand how you could take umbrage at what i said !?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
craig1985 said:

Back at Barloworld days, during last winter in that team they tried to work on it by doing also some medical check ups on his balance and some other test which I cant recall right now (I guess some eye's checking).
Anyway it seems it didn't help much.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
Back at Barloworld days, during last winter in that team they tried to work on it by doing also some medical check ups on his balance and some other test which I cant recall right now (I guess some eye's checking).
Anyway it seems it didn't help much.

That made me laugh so much

Would personally love to see soler and menchov escape with a 30 k descent to go, would be very funny as they proceed to lose a minute, get caught, dropped and finish in the gruppetto covered in mud and leaves!

May 7, 2009
Visit site
This reminds me of an interview I read with a female Olympic mountain bicyclist right before the Olympics in Beijing. I can’t recall specifics or even names, but she was amazed how strong the Chinese women mountain bikers were on the climbs but how timid they were on the down-hills and how slow they rode- looking at the other women to learn the skill of descending. The implication of this, I believe, is that they hadn’t actually spent a lot of time mountain biking and therefore the part of the sport (climbing) that relies on certain physiological parameters was their strength. This comparatively great strength (in relationship to their competitors with more years on the bike) may have been gained through other means than riding, if you take my meaning..

online-rider said:
Dude Chill out!

Whats wrong with what I said??
I'm not saying Soler's a doper or anything. I'm just saying Colombias where coke comes from and Soler too. wtf ??

I'm sorry if I touched your tender spot. I really dont understand how you could take umbrage at what i said !?
Maybe he doesn't like you stereotyping an entire nation as one big coke plantation? Just a thought.

TRENDING THREADS