• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can WADA suspend a sport from oversight?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about ways to combat doping might not a novel approach be to suspend pro cycling from WADA oversight, which I guess would force suspention from the Olympics and thus maybe force the peloton to actualy address its credibility?
It could be argued that removal of controls might result in pro cycling becoming like pro wrestling. Personaly I doupt that..cus pro wrestling dosnt realy claim top be anything other than athletic entertainment and crediblilty counts in cycling.
Thoughts peeps?

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Thinking about ways to combat doping might not a novel approach be to suspend pro cycling from WADA oversight, which I guess would force suspention from the Olympics and thus maybe force the peloton to actualy address its credibility?
It could be argued that removal of controls might result in pro cycling becoming like pro wrestling. Personaly I doupt that..cus pro wrestling dosnt realy claim top be anything other than athletic entertainment and crediblilty counts in cycling.
Thoughts peeps?

Your comparison to wrestling is a good one. I've heard it before, I tend to agree with it. Pro cycling sort of did evolve into a sport similar in many ways to pro wrestling. The sport has really struggled to adjust to it being forced back into one more blended with amateur cycling - since when? 1992-ish and its inclusion of pros into the the Olympics since 1996.

WADA and the IOC have already threatened the sport with Olympic expulsion. I'm not sure this threat created much if any change? At the time, I think the sport was moving 'in the right direction'.

I don't think any kind of suspension at this time would be justified. The sport still has probably the biggest 'known' doping problem compared to any other sport. But it is also at the forefront in efforts to clean up and be transparent. The UCI and WADA seem to be in a reasonably good relationship at the moment and if WADA is genuine in its mission it would be best for it to continue with the UCI more in a spirit of partnership. More WADA missions - like the one they did at the TDF - will be a good thing for cycling, and they won't happen if they start leveling threats of Olympic suspension. We'd go back to the Ver'druggen' vs Pound era - and we're well past that now, I think/hope.

That said, I think the suspension idea is a good one. Cycling just doesn't deserve one - at this time. But maybe basketball, tennis and hockey do?

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Thoughts peeps?

The sports to be concerned about with doping are the ones who are not catching anybody.

Second, would you say women's cycling deserves to be suspended too?

Third, men's teams and riders don't care about the Olympics, so it would do no good.

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The sports to be concerned about with doping are the ones who are not catching anybody.
Hockey officials and the press will tell you hockey doesn't deserve a ban - look at how few positive tests have they had. (The fact that the NHL's testing system is a joke has nothing to do with it.)

I always had to laugh when a former Canadian Football League player, and admitted steroid user, on the local sports radio station where I used to live would go on about doping in cycling and what a joke the sport was when the CFL didn't even have a testing policy. They now have one but I have no idea how effective it is.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Thoughts peeps?
Who cares about Olympics?

I'm sure Samu's excited about his helmet and gold accents on the bike, but...

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think peeps may have missed the point, suspension from the Olympics might be a incidental result of WADA suspending oversight but if that and the other bodies that do the medical control were to suspend doing so its sends a clear " no confidence" messege and puts the responsibility for the restoration of credibility were it belongs.
No one sais `s such a meassure wouldnt be without innocent victims but it`s clean innocent riders who are the victims in the current charade.
One other point re the Olympics and suspension of over sight...my sugestion is regards pro riders only.
I see no reason why a federation couldnt send an a amatuer team to the Olympics..now theres a thought!:D

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
this is thread is filled with excellent points. Cycling should suspend it's relationship with the Olympics. Disallow anybody who has been paid to race..back to one of the older standards like 2000 a month in any kind of payment (product,prize money,stipend)

TRENDING THREADS