• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can you meet riders at stage starts?

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Im just wondering if anyone, from experience or otherwise, knows whether you can meet some riders at stage starts. There is a tour of Britain stage starting near me and was just wondering as it'd only be the stage start I could make it to.
Thanks for any help

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
forzainter said:
Hi, Im just wondering if anyone, from experience or otherwise, knows whether you can meet some riders at stage starts. There is a tour of Britain stage starting near me and was just wondering as it'd only be the stage start I could make it to.
Thanks for any help

Yes- it is pretty easy to get access to the riders before a race and in particular a race like the Tour of Britain.

In many big races in Europe the teams wait until the last minute to sign on and often wait in their buses. But for a race like this they don't usually bring the team buses with them, so you will find the riders hanging out around the team cars.

Also - if the stage ends there the day before then the teams will be staying in nearby hotels. That is a great place to get up close to the riders and they are usually a lot more relaxed there too - don't leave it late though, these guys go to bed early.

Depends what you mean by meet...

You can definately get up close and personal...they may not all be especially talkative... most will acknowledge a word of encouragement from a spectator and many will share a word or an autograph ... and at some lower key events you may get more of what feels like a proper conversation.

so Yes!

Does that help?

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that helps, thanks.
I just read that Sanchez from Euskaltel will be there, and he is one of my favourite riders. I've also never seen a pro rider in person before and thought it'd be interesting.

Thanks for the help

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
forzainter said:
I just read that Sanchez from Euskaltel will be there, and he is one of my favourite riders. I've also never seen a pro rider in person before and thought it'd be interesting.

Thanks for the help

just look up some clever spanish line to get his attention :)
you'll prolly get a nice pic out of it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
forzainter said:

Thanks for the help

He'll actually be in Spain riding the Vuelta. Assuming you mean Samuel Sanchez.

Was at the Tour of Britain a few years ago although this was after a stage finish. Most of the riders went unbothered but there was a crowd around the Quick Step camper waiting for a certain Mr.Boonen. He came out, signed a few autographs and went back inside. Standing not far away by the team car completely unmolested was a certain Johan Museeuw, how quickly the fame game changes. That was the last year(2006) it would have been easy to get anywhere near Cavendish.

I think if you approach the less famous riders, you are more likely to get a conversation, they might actually be glad of the attention. Just make sure they are not in the middle of something i.e. dont interrupt them. If they look pretty chilled and relaxed, fire away.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
El Loto said:
He'll actually be in Spain riding the Vuelta. Assuming you mean Samuel Sanchez.

Apparently he's doing both - he's on the preliminary start list for the Vuelta and was also confirmed as a starter in the ToB. Hopefully he figures out which one he's riding in by the weekend ;)

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
forzainter said:
Thanks for any help

dont forget your camera......feel free to geek out , hahaha , go early you will see all the buses arriving or allready on site. its so open to talk to riders , yes even at the TDF......i could go on but def. go to the stage start

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Cartesian Centaur said:
Apparently he's doing both - he's on the preliminary start list for the Vuelta and was also confirmed as a starter in the ToB. Hopefully he figures out which one he's riding in by the weekend ;)

I hear he has dedicated his entire season to the ToB ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have met David Millar. I asked him a question about the SRAM Groupset he had on his bike (this was in 2007) and what gear ratio's he used in the mountains. Then I asked for a photo, and he said yes.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
forzainter

a bit of advice.

try to steer yourself in the direction of mr edvald boasson hagen. get a photo of the two of you together, chat for a bit. then do something absolutely mad that ensures he'll remember you and your name (imo this qualifies as being his mate).

next year he'll be one of the biggest stars riding for team sky. how cool would you feel walking around being his mate? :cool:

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
forzainter

a bit of advice.

try to steer yourself in the direction of mr edvald boasson hagen. get a photo of the two of you together, chat for a bit. then do something absolutely mad that ensures he'll remember you and your name (imo this qualifies as being his mate).

next year he'll be one of the biggest stars riding for team sky. how cool would you feel walking around being his mate? :cool:

He's a pretty big star already, to be fair.

TRENDING THREADS