• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara captures Suisse victory

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it's fair to say we know who's going to be winning the ITT's at the Tour.. His form looks amazing!

Can anyone see anyone with a chance of beating him?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If he has a fall or an off day...he will get beaten. But with the form he is showing....I am thinking it would have to be a really bad day or a big fall.:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
nice to see him come into form, he's had a bad year so far so great for him to get a win. He's one rider who I think could turn himself into a GC rider if he wanted to

May 9, 2009
Visit site
After all the *****ing about spoilers on the home page, now we have them in subject lines on the forum too? Come on dude. We live in a day and age where people have dvrs to record stuff they plan on watching, like with breakfast this morning, and it's more interesting when you don't know the outcome...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
didn't se the profile of the race...but what happened to Cancellara, did he learn to climb or was this TDS a bit easier in terms of mountains?

Great to se him win though, he(Fabian)'s a class act:cool:

May 11, 2009
Visit site
He climbed better than he has ever done before. But the mountains were not the hardest in Switzerland. They have been harder in previous editions.

But his time trialling.... I have never seen anything like that before, at least not since armstrong at his greatest. It was magnificent, and he looked so motivated.

Contender at the tour? I think not. But if he wins the 1st stage and can cling on to the yellow jersey until the TTT where Saxo bank will do very well. Then he suddenly be a factor if he has a lot of time on the other GC contenders and the first mountain stage shows he can climb decently. Maybe he will posess the yellow jersey into week 2, but when the likes of schlecks and contador hammers down the throttle for 5-10 km at a 8-10% gradient he will be toast.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sure he isn't a GC contender yet but I think if he had a team built around him to shelter him and he put in more work on his climber he could improve enough. He's no Contador but I think he has the potential to be higher up the GC than he does finish, but then he always sacrifices himself for the rest of the team

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
didn't se the profile of the race...but what happened to Cancellara, did he learn to climb or was this TDS a bit easier in terms of mountains?

Great to se him win though, he(Fabian)'s a class act:cool:

Yes to both questions (apparently) and I agree with your last point too. He IS a class act and it's good to see him win a tour, despite the fact that the Swiss had to tailor-make the course to ensure his victory. ;)

A

Anonymous

sherer said:
sure he isn't a GC contender yet but I think if he had a team built around him to shelter him and he put in more work on his climber he could improve enough. He's no Contador but I think he has the potential to be higher up the GC than he does finish, but then he always sacrifices himself for the rest of the team

he's too big to be a climber.