• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara looks like he has lost weight

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
has Cancellara lost weight?

looks leaner by a few kgs.

nic431242_600.jpg

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
He has lost a helluva lot of weight since the year he won Roubaix. The man was a beast then. He still is, but is visibly a LOT leaner. He doesn't look any skinnier above then he did at the WC's last year to me though.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
saw some others, his flanks, quads, buttocks are still huge. Needs to lose about 5 kgs from them, to compete for GC.

here he looks lean. Would think at this time, prior to spring cobbles, he is a little under his previous weight. 5lbs perhaps.

bettiniphoto_0046251_1_full_600.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
He has lost a helluva lot of weight since the year he won Roubaix. The man was a beast then. He still is, but is visibly a LOT leaner. He doesn't look any skinnier above then he did at the WC's last year to me though.
but this is the start of the season, before the cobbles, when he would be about the heaviest he gets. For worlds last year, he would have been the leanest point in the season besides day 21 in a GT.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
Does look skinny

cancel.jpg

thats definately a lighter cancellara (unless the white kit is terribly flattering) for this time of year anyway..

might explain 17 seconds today.. but could be worth much more to him on the hills..

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
thats definately a lighter cancellara (unless the white kit is terribly flattering) for this time of year anyway..

might explain 17 seconds today.. but could be worth much more to him on the hills..

Of cause it's far from certain that those 17 seconds was because of his weight loss (if any) Cancellara just started his season and he was sick just a short while ago. EBH might just be clsoer to his peak.

blackcat said:
saw some others, his flanks, quads, buttocks are still huge. Needs to lose about 5 kgs from them, to compete for GC.

here he looks lean. Would think at this time, prior to spring cobbles, he is a little under his previous weight. 5lbs perhaps.

Come on man, he's not a GC rider! Let's not encourage him to ruin his career chasing pipe-dream GC aspirations like Brad McGee. He's the best TT'er in the World and one of the best one-day Classics riders. GC for the GT's is completely boring anyway except on the mountain stages. Give me a lean and mean Cance for the Classics please; he looks poised for a very good year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Come on man, he's not a GC rider! Let's not encourage him to ruin his career chasing pipe-dream GC aspirations like Brad McGee. He's the best TT'er in the World and one of the best one-day Classics riders. GC for the GT's is completely boring anyway except on the mountain stages. Give me a lean and mean Cance for the Classics please; he looks poised for a very good year.

Tour de Suisse 2009 (yes, doctored mtn parcours)

Wigans 2009?

Cancellara is a few levels above Wigan. Cancellara is Barca to Wigans Wigan.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:

Wigans 2009?

Harsh. Wiggins is Spurs - a few good cup successes (track titles), years of underperforming in the league, then one good year finishing 4th, sacks the manager thinking that will bring them the title, then falls back down the table and ends up employing Harry "tax? Neverheardofit" Redknapp to try to get the glory year back (Bruyneel).

The man looks good. Appears to have lost some upper body muscle mass (and a bit of lower body as well). The good thing is he does not have that drawn in face of someone who has been really sick.

White kits are not known to be flattering, so looking lean in white in Feb means he may be on course for a good year.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but he did really well in the rather hilly WC in Mendrisio. Could he do well in the hilly classics in the Ardennes? Or are the hills to different? If so is the difference that they're steeper or what?

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:
I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but he did really well in the rather hilly WC in Mendrisio. Could he do well in the hilly classics in the Ardennes? Or are the hills to different? If so is the difference that they're steeper or what?

For me i think they are more suited to true climbers, canc is probably still going to be a bit of a heavy grinder. I think the steadier, tougher, cobbles will be more for him..

blackcat said:

Wigans 2009?

If Canc ever had a real desire to for go for GC in a GT then last year's Tour course was his chance of a lifetime. If a rider like Wigans could hold onto the leaders during the climbs, a dedicated Cancellara surely would have even better.

Cerberus said:

I believe I read somewhere (no source) that he eventually would like to win a Ardennes classic. He's trying to knock off the classics bit by bit. But I believe he wants De Ronde more than an Ardennes classic so he probably wouldn't go after one until he has checked De Ronde off his list.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

the white may of helped with the slimming look but i think he has definetly dropped some weight.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
Harsh. Wiggins is Spurs - a few good cup successes (track titles), years of underperforming in the league, then one good year finishing 4th, sacks the manager thinking that will bring them the title, then falls back down the table and ends up employing Harry "tax? Neverheardofit" Redknapp to try to get the glory year back (Bruyneel).

Haha......

TRENDING THREADS