• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara Pushes for Extreme Weather Protocol

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
I'm not doubting the conditions were too extreme to race. But why even go race in a location where this sort of thing happens more often than not?
How many stages have been cancelled the last few years in these races?

That's totally irrelevant to the point, the thing is this stuff happens here regularly. A priori, these were the facts, and everyone knew this before these races were created.

And a stage last year cancelled due to extreme heat springs to mind.

BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
I'm not doubting the conditions were too extreme to race. But why even go race in a location where this sort of thing happens more often than not?

That's totally irrelevant to the point, the thing is this stuff happens here regularly. A priori, these were the facts, and everyone knew this before these races were created.

I fail to see why thats irrelevant to the point.

Its a good alternative to the cold, European winter. Many riders like it and its fine for the fans to have a look at the teams in the early season. The more bike racing on TV, the better. Admittedly, Dubai is a poor race, but Oman fx. certainly isn't, Qatar wasn't and Abu Dhabi isn't that bad. The alternative is to race in Europe and honestly, the chances are as high for cancellations in the the middle East due to gusts as snow in Europe.

BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:

It really isn't irrelevant at all.