• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara vs Evans

Hello everyone
A quick question for my first post. I've seen a couple of people say that Cancellara had behaved badly towards Evans at the TdF this summer. I missed most of the TdF because I was travelling: could someone tell me what he did, please?

Ta

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Evans attacked and started a breakaway. Several riders, including Canc and Hincapie, joined him and these 2 then got mad at Evans for being in the break. Since Evans was a GC rider, the break wouldn't have a chance with Evans in it.

fabian vs cadel is kind of like rocky v. drago (fabian bears a striking resemblance to sly stallone in the fourth rocky film too). just as drago killed rocky's best friend, cadel killed fabian's dream of a worlds double on home soil

now all it needs is fabian running up a mountain on saxo's survival weekend and yelling out CAAAAADEEEEEEL!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Evans attacked and started a breakaway. Several riders, including Canc and Hincapie, joined him and these 2 then got mad at Evans for being in the break. Since Evans was a GC rider, the break wouldn't have a chance with Evans in it.

I don't understand the big deal about this. Of course, Evans isn't going to be allowed to go in a break? Would they have let AC or LA go?

What really did Evans expect was going to happen that day?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I don't understand the big deal about this. Of course, Evans isn't going to be allowed to go in a break? Would they have let AC or LA go?

The point is that Evans actually started the break. If a GC rider attacks, and then you join him, you can't get mad at him for being there.

If Evans had bridged to Cancellara and Hushovd, then Tony would have had a case to tell Evans to get stuffed.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
The point is that Evans actually started the break. If a GC rider attacks, and then you join him, you can't get mad at him for being there.

If Evans had bridged to Cancellara and Hushovd, then Tony would have had a case to tell Evans to get stuffed.

+1. Bad manners in my book.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara seems like a popular guy in the bunch but to the casual observer it does seem that his ego gets the better of him at times. Trying to ride the World Championship field off his wheel on the last lap was a low percentage move and left him open to a big counterattack which Evans duly delivered.
It might be interesting to watch the dynamic between them next season. It may not be so easy to disrespect a guy in the rainbow jersey.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

I couldn't have imagined Eddie Merckx saying "OK then if you don't want me, I'll go back to the peleton", Cadel should have just said "F off" and ridden his own race. It probably wouldn't have changed the result but would have helped his morale.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:
I couldn't have imagined Eddie Merckx saying "OK then if you don't want me, I'll go back to the peleton", Cadel should have just said "F off" and ridden his own race. It probably wouldn't have changed the result but would have helped his morale.

Eddy would have unleashed a torrent at them while riding them off his wheel.

Harder for Evans to do that - his voice is not so deep, and Cancellara is harder to drop!

May 2, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:
They wouldn't have caught Eddy!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara was pretty close at snatching the two titles. but he is a time trialist, which means he cant attack well repeatedly. He's 28 in his pride, unparalelled in time trial, we'll see how much he improves on the road next year...

i like cadel evans despite his "drama", he seemed very dedicated, raced more than any other big names. it's unfortunate he didnt get the Tour in 08, the road ahead is not going to be easy. maybe he should try to beat out LA next year.

TRENDING THREADS