• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara's Helmet

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Interesting observastion.

Many people have heads that come to a bit of a crest at the top. Fir such people, a helmet would fall slightly to one side or the other.

Other people have one ear that is a little higher than the other. This could also affect the placing of a helmet.

Or, maybe he just thinks it looks cool that way.

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I think it's the 'he thinks it looks cool' option myself. :)

...and even if it's not, he's cooler than anyone registered on this forum, so he can wear his helmet backwards, for he'd still be cooler and (a LOT) faster than any of us.....

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
High Cotton said:
...and even if it's not, he's cooler than anyone registered on this forum, so he can wear his helmet backwards, for he'd still be cooler and (a LOT) faster than any of us.....

Just goes to show, you can screw around with colour coding, sock and knicks heights all you want...none of it means a thing.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My guess is that it is a subconscious tilt (pardon the intended pun ..) to the classic style of the past ... look at the days of (Hmmm .. my younger days) the likes of Merckx, Maartens, De Vlaeminck, Godefroot, but mostly notable on the heads of the innumerable 6 Day stars, even up to a more recent era Museeuw et al. The small leather strip helmets often perched slightly askew as if a WW2 Airforce beret.

I used to do it on the track myself ... :eek::eek::eek:

Cancellara is a paragon of cycling style ... and power !!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Andy.G said:
My guess is that it is a subconscious tilt (pardon the intended pun ..) to the classic style of the past ... look at the days of (Hmmm .. my younger days) the likes of Merckx, Maartens, De Vlaeminck, Godefroot, but mostly notable on the heads of the innumerable 6 Day stars, even up to a more recent era Museeuw et al. The small leather strip helmets often perched slightly askew as if a WW2 Airforce beret.

I used to do it on the track myself ... :eek::eek::eek:

Cancellara is a paragon of cycling style ... and power !!

I guess the last fan of the sausage helmet was Tchmil.

photo4.jpg

TRENDING THREADS