• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cannondale situation

Cannondale - 325 UCI points / Sagan - 312 UCI points.

It looks like Cannondale needs to re-build the team otherwise they lose the license or Sagan will be cooked in 2-3 year.

Basso is /was great, but I am afraid he will not bring too much points this summer. He is 35 and he won´t get any younger. :eek:

Moser still young and with big pottencial, however it is time to show some performance.

Viviani will bring home some points for sure, his flat sprint is probaly even better than Saganś now (we will see soon).

The rest ???

OK. Sagan spring season was outstanding. He has already proved he can handle the pressure to be leader. It is his duty to deliver the points for Cannondale and he did great this spring. But pressure is too high, nobody is invulnerable (except Jack Norris of course ). He will need much bigger help then Cannondale can offer at this time.

My question is. What is your tip for directeur sportif regarding future GC leader and his domestiques and regarding Sagan´s “classic” co-leader if Moser will not step up and their domestiques?

SKSemtex said:
Cannondale - 325 UCI points / Sagan - 312 UCI points.

I looks like Cannondale needs to re-build the team otherwise they lose the license or Sagan will be cooked in 2-3 year.

Basso is /was great, but I am afraid he will not bring too much points this summer. He is 35 and he won´t get any younger. :eek:

Moser still young and with big pottencial, however it is time to show some performance.

Viviani will bring home some points for sure, his flat sprint is probaly even better than Saganś now (we will see soon).

The rest ???

OK. Sagan spring season was outstanding. He has already proved he can handle the pressure to be leader. It is his duty to deliver the points for Cannondale and he did great this spring. But pressure is too high, nobody is invulnerable (except Jack Norris of course ). He will need much bigger help then Cannondale can offer at this time.

My question is. What is your tip for directeur sportif regarding future GC leader and his domestiques and regarding Sagan “classic” co-leader if Moser will not step up and their domestiques.

?????
Moser won Stradi Bianche

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cannondale I expect will do everything they can to keep Sagan. And don't know why Sagan would leave at this point, the team has been good for him so far. Only reasons I could think of that make him leave is so he won't have the pressure of carrying a team or to go to a team that can support him better.

But if there is a risk of losing Sagan at all, cannodale should definitely try to invest in some new riders. Regardless of whether Sagan stays or goes, Cannodale probably should invest in some new riders actually. Riders that could ride good support for Sagan but also take their own wins elsewhere would be good (riders like GVA for example).

caruso will also bring in some points for them I think.
SKSemtex said:

What? Really? :eek: Maybe you should wait until he beats Cav, Greipel, and Goss in a flat sprint before claiming that.

SKSemtex said:
I do know it. (and it was mainly as a part of Cannondale tactic as everybody controlled the Sagan wheel) Since then?

U sure? I reckon he got second just because Moser was ahead- otherwise he would have won it-but anyways- on Topic- I do agree Cannondale must look beyond Sagan & Moser- there is a need for a solid GT rider to even the balance & make it more competitive in all range of races-rather than depend & burn Sagan & Moser to make the cut on the WT stance..

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Cannondale I expect will do everything they can to keep Sagan. And don't know why Sagan would leave at this point, the team has been good for him so far. Only reasons I could think of that make him leave is so he won't have the pressure of carrying a team or to go to a team that can support him better.

But if there is a risk of losing Sagan at all, cannodale should definitely try to invest in some new riders. Regardless of whether Sagan stays or goes, Cannodale probably should invest in some new riders actually. Riders that could ride good support for Sagan but also take their own wins elsewhere would be good (riders like GVA for example).

caruso will also bring in some points for them I think.

What? Really? :eek: Maybe you should wait until he beats Cav, Greipel, and Goss in a flat sprint before claiming that.

Money talks. Cannodale did not have a massive budget, that is the only reason they lost the Nibali.

What? Really? :eek: Maybe you should wait until he beats Cav, Greipel, and Goss in a flat sprint before claiming that.[/QUOTE]

Greipel was beaten in De Panne. :) Iknow Greipel was beaten with everybody there :).

Probably I was exaggerating with Viviani a little. But I do think Sagans flat sprint will not be the one from 2012 and Viviani looks quite fast, the problem will be his positiong , his balls and determination - tools that makes Sagan beat Cav or Greipel from time to time.

Cannondale have a team capable of supporting a good GT rider, there weren't many younger riders with GT potential on the market this off season. Sagan, Viviani and Moser should get them through this season fine if the rest of the team does their bit, then they can move into the transfer market at the end of the year and hopefully put the cash from Nibali's salary to good use.

A very bad mistake was made in handling the entire Betancur affair. It looked like he was already in their hands and all of sudden he was gone.
Bad mistake, they lost an amazing talent there.

Now they really lost their GT potential and classics alternatives to Sagan. Basso is definitely over the hill, so over he must be VERY lucky to get a top 5 at this year's Giro. And except that, he won't score any points during the season, maybe at Il Lombardia, just maybe.

Caruso, with a bit of luck, could become a very decent GT rider, but I'm not sure if I see too much potential there, if at all.

Viviani, the eternal 2nd to 4th, the guy who never wins, similar to Marcato-fashion :p The kid is certainly fast, but with those horrible positioning skills I don't know what he'll get.
He could tune his classics attitude in the next years and become something Hushovd-style maybe.

Moser. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what to think after this spring campaign. It could've been his consacration as the next big thing in Italian cycling after the Strade Bianche win, now he just sits there in the peloton, hopeless. Something's wrong, and he'd better figure it out as soon as possible.

The only real talent left is (well...could be) Stefano Agostini, who showed some glimpses of class after a void 2012. But who knows what will be of him, we've just seen too little to have any kind of idea.

I thought they rallied around their leader very well in the classics. Yes, their strength in depth isn't really impressive, but I guess it's better to have a really strong leader and mediocre riders to help him, than no leader at all. What has RadioShack done apart from Cancellara?

As for Basso, I don't know, he might still come good. He should already be better today. Moser is still a bit too young to shine in the bigger races.

Pippo_San said:
Basso is definitely over the hill, so over he must be VERY lucky to get a top 5 at this year's Giro.
Cannondale has to find a new GC leader. They're hoping that Caruso and Moser will be able to develop into serious GC contenders, but I'm not confident they are able to do that. Cannondale can recruit u23 riders with GC potential, but it takes a couple of years before they are top riders. The only alternative is buying a GC leader. Someone who isn't too expensive, but likes the leader's role he doesn't get at his current team. Any ideas?

janraaskalt said:
Cannondale has to find a new GC leader. They're hoping that Caruso and Moser will be able to develop into serious GC contenders, but I'm not confident they are able to do that. Cannondale can recruit u23 riders with GC potential, but it takes a couple of years before they are top riders. The only alternative is buying a GC leader. Someone who isn't too expensive, but likes the leader's role he doesn't get at his current team. Any ideas?

Machado or Roche. Possibly Henao or Uran but poaching from Sky seems too risky.

They could get Giacomo Nizzolo, if they want another rider to claim wins at races.

Talansky for the American GT guy- with Steitna in support???
I am sure Italy could develop a GT contender in the next few years/ Cannondale on the ball and sign him. They can also make a play at the end of the year- transfer wise.

They should not have let ErosC go.

They're building Cameron Wurf as GC guy for 2014. He's 30 already, but he started cycling quite late, so he has a couple of years left in him.
I don't see Talansky, Stetina or any of the Garmin riders moving (unless there are monetary problems, and probably not even then). Henao and/or Urán would be the way to go; if they don't get completely free reins at a GT soon I can't see them at Sky for long.

greenedge said:
They could get Giacomo Nizzolo, if they want another rider to claim wins at races.

Talansky for the American GT guy- with Steitna in support???
I am sure Italy could develop a GT contender in the next few years/ Cannondale on the ball and sign him. They can also make a play at the end of the year- transfer wise.

They should not have let ErosC go.

Why would Talansky and Stetina leave Garmin? Surely that team would want to keep those GC hopes themselves.

Best Cannondale can hope for is a collapse in the transfer market with several teams folding leaving quality riders scrambling for jobs.

Otherwise a bigger budget is needed imo.

Dazed and Confused said:
Need bigger budget, if they want to stay at WT level.

Merge with Team Colombia could be a solution.

What a merge! I love it. US team saving Chavez boys or vice versa.

Europeans can hate a lot of thing on Americans (meaning ones from USA :D ) but one think is true, they surely know how to make the money out of sport. Look at NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB results.
The formula is pretty easy. Salary cup + system of drafts. These simple rules keeps parity between teams, make it more difficult for wealthy teams to get complete dominance and keep the whole league very interesting in whole country.
In Europe people mostly have no idea how to run sport business and empty stadiums in most of the countries are the biggest prove. Even the famous soccer teams have extremely high debts, unpaid taxes and it is ridiculous. The whole system of sport sucks in Europe.
My question is: could the American approach be used in UCI world tour? Could it help to make the races attractive? Could it bring more action if we have 19 very competitive teams instead of 2-3? Could it somehow make the sport more clean?

Dazed and Confused said:
Why would Talansky and Stetina leave Garmin? Surely that team would want to keep those GC hopes themselves.

Best Cannondale can hope for is a collapse in the transfer market with several teams folding leaving quality riders scrambling for jobs.
I deliberately left out Talansky for that reason. If Blanco folds, which is not unlikely, Gesink and Mollema are available.

janraaskalt said:

Kreuziger :))

SKSemtex said:
What a merge! I love it. US team saving Chavez boys or vice versa.

Europeans can hate a lot of thing on Americans (meaning ones from USA :D ) but one think is true, they surely know how to make the money out of sport. Look at NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB results.
The formula is pretty easy. Salary cup + system of drafts. These simple rules keeps parity between teams, make it more difficult for wealthy teams to get complete dominance and keep the whole league very interesting in whole country.
In Europe people mostly how no idea how to run sport business and empty stadiums in most of the countries are the biggest prove. Even the famous soccer teams have extremely high debts, unpaid taxes and it is ridiculous. The whole system of sport sucks in Europe.
My question is: could the American approach be used in UCI world tour? Could it help to make the races attractive? Could it bring more action if we have 19 very competitive teams instead of 2-3? Could it somehow make the sport more clean?

Chavez boys? Hugo was from Venezuela, not Colombia...

TRENDING THREADS