• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cannondale situation

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
A very bad mistake was made in handling the entire Betancur affair. It looked like he was already in their hands and all of sudden he was gone.
Bad mistake, they lost an amazing talent there.

Now they really lost their GT potential and classics alternatives to Sagan. Basso is definitely over the hill, so over he must be VERY lucky to get a top 5 at this year's Giro. And except that, he won't score any points during the season, maybe at Il Lombardia, just maybe.

Caruso, with a bit of luck, could become a very decent GT rider, but I'm not sure if I see too much potential there, if at all.

Viviani, the eternal 2nd to 4th, the guy who never wins, similar to Marcato-fashion :p The kid is certainly fast, but with those horrible positioning skills I don't know what he'll get.
He could tune his classics attitude in the next years and become something Hushovd-style maybe.

Moser. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what to think after this spring campaign. It could've been his consacration as the next big thing in Italian cycling after the Strade Bianche win, now he just sits there in the peloton, hopeless. Something's wrong, and he'd better figure it out as soon as possible.

The only real talent left is (well...could be) Stefano Agostini, who showed some glimpses of class after a void 2012. But who knows what will be of him, we've just seen too little to have any kind of idea.

betancurt had signed with them but pulled back when acqua stays into cycling. he didn't want to go to liquigas at all. he onlys igned for them because he needed a team. as soon as acqua confirmed for one more year he broke the contract with liquigas. betancurt refused to ride for anyone but himself(and rightfully so) even when he just turned pro. so he stayd with acqua for that reason, despite a lot more money in liquigas. he also signed with ag2r for those reasons despite being offered more in other teams

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Need bigger budget, if they want to stay at WT level.

Merge with Team Colombia could be a solution.

colombian government won't want that. they want a colombian team only with no foreigners unless they really add something to the squad. cannondalsé european riders except sagan don't add anything.

Ryo Hazuki said:
colombian government won't want that. they want a colombian team only with no foreigners unless they really add something to the squad. cannondalsé european riders except sagan don't add anything.

add Henao to such a merger and it would be a world class team capable of competing for the win in most WT races on the calendar.

Now perhaps both Cannondale and Team Colombia can disappear by next year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
add Henao to such a merger and it would be a world class team capable of competing for the win in most WT races on the calendar.

is cannondale going to disappear? only have contratc for 1 year?

Dazed and Confused said:

but then why spend money on Sagan if the Team's cash flow isn't sustainable for the length of his contract? They might stretch the bills a bit & secure/merge with another team-but is unlikely that they just "disappear" while having a Super Star enhancing the brand.....

janraaskalt said:
I deliberately left out Talansky for that reason. If Blanco folds, which is not unlikely, Gesink and Mollema are available.

Now that would be the renaissance of Dutch cycling :cool:

Dazed and Confused said:
Cannondale (team) has been looking for a sponsor to help with the budget since the start. I doubt they want to continue on their own for long.

I'm quite sure they can afford it, much like BMC we're talking about BIG cycling manufacturers, with a great flow of cash, much unlike Cervélo.

Well, surely Andy Rihs is able to put much more money in his team :p

hfer07 said:
but then why spend money on Sagan if the Team's cash flow isn't sustainable for the length of his contract? They might stretch the bills a bit & secure/merge with another team-but is unlikely that they just "disappear" while having a Super Star enhancing the brand.....

Signing a star rider for an extended period of time allows the team to find a new sponsor easier. Without Sagan what will the team be selling to the sponsor? Its simply a better marketing model etc. However Sagan's contract doesn't prevent the team from folding before it runs out.

Dunno if the investment in the bike team allows the bike company to stay cash flow positive. However we only have one other team at the WT level where the majority of funding comes from a "bike company": BMC. Without Rhis' passion for bike racing, I doubt such a model can work.

So my view is that the current deal is a stop gap solution. Cannondale wants to be part of the sport, but they don't want to carry the sponsorship alone. Only time will tell.

Pippo_San said:
snipped..

I'm quite sure they can afford it, much like BMC we're talking about BIG cycling manufacturers, with a great flow of cash, much unlike Cervélo.

snipped..

its not so much a question of affordability, but rather does it make sense? If it did make a lot of sense, I suspect we would see quite a few "Team Trek" out there at the WT level.

Team Giant instead of Team Blanco? I doubt it. We shall see.

If I remember well Sagan signed his new contract in April, before California, Suisse and le Tour. I do not think his contract is the problem for Cannondale now :D

I am sure their cash flow is in good conditions, especially after Nibali leaving the team. :)

My main concern is that old team was built around Nibali and Basso and had mainly the GT ambittions. With Sagan as main leader they should be more "classic" and stage orientated. More like OPQS. Do they have enough good domestiques to give the sufficient support to Peter.
If they going to build the team around Sagan, to whom should they invest?

Pippo_San said:

Cannondale doesn't have huge cashflow. No way. They are an OEM now. Worse off than both Specialized(Merida owns most of it) and Trek(#1 Giant customer) Cannondale is just one brand owned by Pacific Cycles. I think they are pragmatic and at least trying to keep Cannondale as the marquee brand. But, we'll see how long that lasts. Pacific Cycles is like a hospice for bike brands. They end up there and die with the stickers used on department store product.

Pippo_San said:
Well, surely Andy Rihs is able to put much more money in his team :p

Like most teams, cycling appears to be Rihs' hobby. Again, like most teams, it appears it is "fun" to own a bike company and sponsor a team because a few 10's of millions don't really matter.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hold on to Sagan, focus on classics and stages, not GC. I also think they should remain italian, be italy's classic team while Lampre are the italian stage team. In whom should they invest? Sagan's strength is in holding on and then sprinting, so whoever they sign should be the opposite. Ballan for the cobbles. Infact many of the italians at BMC would be ok. Maybe Ulissi with something like the role Evans had at Lotto for stage racing. thoughts?

Edit: yes I'm assuming Ballan is going to be ok and back racing

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed with Cannondale effort today and in the Tour.They worked hard on one stage and since that stage CAN is just in cruising mode, invisible and passively defending green jersey... just letting other teams/riders getting points from green j. contenders.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Meh, Sagan was looking pale during the climb, dropped relativelyquickly.

Dont think he felt great, hence there's no point trying anything.

Gloin22 said:
Meh, Sagan was looking pale during the climb, dropped relativelyquickly.

Dont think he felt great, hence there's no point trying anything.

They could have put someone (De Marchi comes to mind) in the break if Sagan wasn't okay. But they can do it on the next stages as wekk since they have practically nothing to do until Paris.

Is it certain that one current team will lose the license for next year because Katusha case? I don't remember any current team not having sponsorship for next year. RadioShack will withdraw but Trek will invest more to the team I believe.

Finn84 said:
Is it certain that one current team will lose the license for next year because Katusha case? I don't remember any current team not having sponsorship for next year. RadioShack will withdraw but Trek will invest more to the team I believe.
Yes, it is certain (new rules). Vacansoleil is losing its sponsor. Euskaltel in doubt as well.