• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Canyon CF SLX without top cap

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
To cap or not to cap . . .

I recently received a new Canyon CF SLX road bike (similar to the Pharma Lotto bikes) and, because of how the headset is designed, there is no need for a top cap.

Perhaps with a typical German approach to design, Canyon has decided if it isn't needed don't include it. That means there is a black hole where you would expect to see a top cap. Rain, no problem they say, as they have put small drain holes in.

For a small extra price you can order a cap but Customer Services told me most of their clients don't now bother with it, although when it was first released there was more demand.

Has anyone else bought this bike, and if so what is your opinion?
Does anyone know if the Lotto team has put the caps in place?

Canyon site: http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/ultimate-cf-slx.html

If it has no function then don't worry. If you don't like the look then put in a top cap. I would prefer the look with a cap. But that hole could be useful for storing pencils, candles, incense, a chocolate bar....

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
would be interested in your views on the bike my friend .

just recently became aware of the canyon kit and like both the look and prices .

please post any updates you have.

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had a Canyon SLX for about 8 months. Now the only time I notice the open stem is when other riders comment on it. In effect it is a conversation starter and something a bit different.
The bike been riden in very heavy rain and the stem did not fill up with water, and I don't have spiders or bugs popping out of it or anything.

Enjoy riding what is a great bike.

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
Thanks. I have a Garmin 705 sitting on the stem so my eyes head will be heading that way a lot. When I asked the customer service people why they didn't put a cap on it they said it was mainly to show people that they had been innovative, that they had done something new and different.

Weight can't be a issue, a lightweight cap would only add a few grams, but in my mind they should send one with the bike and let the buyer decide whether they want to use it or not. Anyway, no big deal.

This is my second Canyon, I bought an Ultimate CF frame three years ago in a Pearl White (ended up looking dirty cream). At that time you could pick up the frame for 1000 euros with a race licence.
This time I went for the new frame in Team White with full Dura Ace and the Citec 3000 wheels with the Richey Superlogic kit. On a rough calculation, the bike would cost in the region of 4500 euros to build - during the TdF they were sellling it for 2600 euros - extraordinary value for what is unquestionably a pro level bike. Only more expensive wheels or a preference for SRAM Red or Super Record is going to make a big difference to the price.

I am 182 cms and last time I opted for the 56 frame, this time I have gone for the 58. On their measurement system I am on the border line between the two. In truth, the 56 was sold out at the time so I have taken a small gamble that the 58 will be fine. The stem provided is 11 cms and I have a 12 on the other one.

On first impression, quite a few changes have been made over the previous frame, including a much better paint job. The seatpost is noticeably thinner and most of the tubes have had some changes in size and shape. The Head tube no longer has an ugly overhang over the forks and the seatpost clamp is much neater.

The previous Canyon CF was specifically built for maximum stiffness/weight ratio - something that it achieved but it felt like they hadn't really cared about the finished look. Put it next to a Pinarello/Time/Look bike and it looked distinctly like the poor relation - despite the performance being equal or better to all of them.

The new version has moved it in the right direction looks wise (at least in the team white). It is still not going to win any beauty parades but at least it looks like it should be in the same show.

On the road is ultimately where it counts though. I run cycling training camps in Spain so can clock up 2000 kms+ per month. Most of it is in the hills in the Costa Blanca area where La Vuelta regularly visits for the mountains. At 80 kgs I am no lightweight, I need a bike that is stiff, light and comfortable as well as being reliable for heavy usage - this should fit the bill.

Here's hoping I made the right choice.

Your about as light as Indurian.

Id put something in it so you dont have a 'cookie cutter' on your bike. A cork or something will do and will drive your mates crazy on the climbs and sap their wattage as they focus on the Canyon with the cork..

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
durianrider said:
Your about as light as Indurian.

Id put something in it so you dont have a 'cookie cutter' on your bike. A cork or something will do and will drive your mates crazy on the climbs and sap their wattage as they focus on the Canyon with the cork..

:):):) The Canyon Cookie Cutter has a nice ring to it.

TRENDING THREADS