• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

carbon frame resurfacing

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I own a 2007 model cervelo r3 carbon frame which i am looking to strip back and repaint or keep it bare carbon. I am unsure on what method is required to strip the gloss coat off the frame as well as removing the paint. is it very hard? then do i need to use special paint to repaint it? and what type of gloss coat should i use? i live in Perth, Western Australia so if anyone in Perth is reading this and knows someone who is experienced please let me know. Otherwise anyones thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've stripped a Trek full carbon frame however this was only lacquered not painted and was very easy to scrape off using the back edge of a butter knife (not the cerated bits). The laqurer nicely scraped off leaving the carbon/resin undisturbed.

I then coated the frame with polyurethane (the one for wooden floors) which has been holding up very well. You can buy lacquer but this needs to very dilute to brush on or to spray.

Don't use sandpaper as that would disturb the carbon/resin. Good luck

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I live in Geelong and was thinking of doing same whatever you do "DONT" remove the gel coat the frame will be wrecked if you do hand sand with wet and Dry .
I would contact an International Marine paint agent and find out what they use for carbon yacht masts usualy a 2 pack reaction laquer but its very hard. you need something that wont melt the resin in the carbon. so ask an expert.

When you find out let me know. you will need someone who can spray that stuff as well the paint agent will know.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've just completed a revamp of my Giant TCR which was laquered and had a few decals. I used wet and dry sponges and hand sanded the whole frame and forks then had it satin laquered by a local company. Awesome result, no problems but hard work! Would post a photo but somehow I can't do it.
Staggerlee

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
According to me,you should go with the sebastian_n.This link is very helpful to you based on your problem.He give some information about the Weight of R3 white paint job.So it is really help to you.