• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlton Kirby 'flamme rouge' doping speculation poll

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How does Carlton Kirby prepare mentally to announce cycling races, entering the final 1000 meters ?

• PCP

• Crack cocaine

• Flakka

• Methamphetamine

• 'Roid Rage

• Bath Salts

• Pot Belge

• Pot of English tea (caffeine only)

• Kirby is 'cleans'

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sorry, but ambient beats Kirby everyday of the week in my book.
He's as bad as ever this week. Despite generally being very anti 'I-am-offended movement', I feel like I'm getting continously insulted by Eurosport until I switch to another race or turn it off. "What a display from Pogacar. It's beginning to look like an era, Brian." Really. Where have you been since 2021, Carlton? The double Tour win or multiple monuments wasn't it, no, beating up some tier 2 climbers in a March warm-up race is what is really era-defining.

I've seen Jez Cox (doing De Panne now) get a lot of stick, but he would be great if he was just a bit more knowledgeable. At least he's humble and aware of his limitations, and is generally quite enjoyable to listen to.

He's as bad as ever this week. Despite generally being very anti 'I-am-offended movement', I feel like I'm getting continously insulted by Eurosport until I switch to another race or turn it off. "What a display from Pogacar. It's beginning to look like an era, Brian." Really. Where have you been since 2021, Carlton? The double Tour win or multiple monuments wasn't it, no, beating up some tier 2 climbers in a March warm-up race is what is really era-defining.

I've seen Jez Cox (doing De Panne now) get a lot of stick, but he would be great if he was just a bit more knowledgeable. At least he's humble and aware of his limitations, and is generally quite enjoyable to listen to.
You're very 'anti I-am-offended movement', yet my man CK tipped the scales by saying "It's beginning to look like an era."
CK just spent hours calling a race while reminding us of the beauty of the English language and all its flourishes. But the "It's beginning to look like an era" quip put you over the edge. Squire, with all due respect, I think you're part of the "I-am-offended movement."
Nothing wrong with that. It's ok to dislike a fabulous commentator. But let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

Last edited:
I initially read that as Ambien

I don't know who Kirby is, but he sounds painful. Ambien might be a good thing
Imagine sitting waiting at an airport for example, for a couple of hours for your flight which is delayed, and all the time some guy behind you is talking non-stop but he has an infantile humour and is not the sharpest knife in the draw. Then to make it worse he thinks his own jokes are hilarious.
Luckily we have the mute button on the TV.

Imagine sitting waiting at an airport for example, for a couple of hours for your flight which is delayed, and all the time some guy behind you is talking non-stop but he has an infantile humour and is not the sharpest knife in the draw. Then to make it worse he thinks his own jokes are hilarious.
Luckily we have the mute button on the TV.
I participated in your thought experiment and the first person that came to mind was Rob5091. (Just kidding; you seem like a nice fellow.)
That said, I take issue with the notion that my man Carlton Kirby is not the sharpest knife in the "draw." That is just not true. He constantly combines references to literature that people don't get while calling a race. Think what you will about CK, but he's not dumb.